A question for Gee Bee

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
you seem to know a lot about what Sesame Street was like in the 1970's I was wondering if you could answer this question for me. Was there ever a scene in which Big Bird tried to convince Oscar that Snuffy was real, and was there ever a close encounter where Oscar almost saw Snuffy but he didn't? Did you ever see Oscar making fun of Big Bird about Snuffy, or getting angry with him for talking about Snuffy? Believe it or not in 1985 toward's the end of season 16 Oscar actually met Snuffy before any of the adults did at the beggining of Season 17, do you remember that?

Pug Lover

Reaction score
I believe you're right Don Music.I also remember a scene where Bob actually saw Snuffy walk by.When he told everyone about his very first encounter with Snuffy,even Big Bird didn't beleive him. :zany:

Censored

Reaction score
Don_Music_2004 said:
you seem to know a lot about what Sesame Street was like in the 1970's I was wondering if you could answer this question for me. Was there ever a scene in which Big Bird tried to convince Oscar that Snuffy was real, and was there ever a close encounter where Oscar almost saw Snuffy but he didn't? Did you ever see Oscar making fun of Big Bird about Snuffy, or getting angry with him for talking about Snuffy? Believe it or not in 1985 toward's the end of season 16 Oscar actually met Snuffy before any of the adults did at the beggining of Season 17, do you remember that?
Hi, Don. I don't recall Oscar ever addressing the issue of Snuffy directly. I do know that the writers seemed to be conflicted over whether the muppets should fall into the "adult" or "child" category when it came to seeing Snuffy. In a very early skit, Bert bumps into Snuffy and speaks as though he's always known him. On the 70's album "Havin' Fun With Ernie and Bert", Snuffy's voice is heard at a party with Bert, Ernie, Grover, and all of the other muppets, implying that he was right there with them all. On the other hand, there was a skit where Grover did not believe Snuffy was real and Big Bird unsuccessfully tried to convince him. I didn't see the skit with Oscar and Snuffy in Season 16, but I'd be curious how it went. Did Oscar discover that he was real or did he act like he had always known him? When it came to Snuffy and the other muppets, it seemed like they really couldn't make up their minds, and since it didn't come up too often, it was left up in the air.

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
Well Oscar acted as if he had just met him for the very first time ever, and was very surprized. I think this was just a few episodes before the 16th Season ended. I think they may have did this because they had already planned on making him visible the next season.

Censored

Reaction score
Pug Lover said:
I believe you're right Don Music.I also remember a scene where Bob actually saw Snuffy walk by.When he told everyone about his very first encounter with Snuffy,even Big Bird didn't beleive him. :zany:

That sounds like the skit where Snuffy had a new black and white striped suit on that he wanted to show Big Bird. Snuffy could not find Big Bird, but as he's walking by, Bob gets some kind of quick glimpse at him. Bob runs to Big Bird and says that he thinks he may have finally seem this "mysterious Snuffleupagus" that Big Bird is always talking about. At first, Big Bird is very excited that Bob believes him, but when he hears Bob describe Snuffy as big with "black and white stripes", Big Bird says that it could not have been Snuffy. Bob, all the other adults and Big Bird start arguing about it, causing increasing confusion, as the show ends and by the next episode, the whole thing is forgotten.

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
I think during season 16 they were slowly bringing this old joke to an end, and they were phasing it out during this season.

Splurge

Reaction score
Don_Music_2004 said:
I think during season 16 they were slowly bringing this old joke to an end, and they were phasing it out during this season.
If I'm not mistaken, three of the human "broke ranks" and believed Snuffy was real, and that was probably the season before everyone finally saw him. When that episode finally occurred, Gordon told Big Bird, "Maria and Linda and I believed you."

Until that point, it also put the three humans in the same fall-guy position as Big Bird, being made fun of when Snuffy didn't appear.

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
That's why I think they already had plans to make Snuffy visible in Season 16. They were definetley phasing out his imaginary Status that year. I heard there was an Ernie and Bert skit from that year, when Bert saw Snuffy out the window of his apartment and fainted, right before this Ernie was trying to convince Bert he saw Snuffy and he was real.

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
Did anyone ever see this Ernie and Bert skit? I take it it is very rare because it was made just a year or 2 before the adults met Snuffy, so after that it wouldn't have made sense anymore so they stopped using it. :stick_out_tongue: :frown: :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

Dantecat

Reaction score
But Even Though If They Stopped Using It Don Music 2004,Kids Can Still Learn It In Anyway For Fun As Long As They Have Any Sesame Street Episodes They Or Somebody Else Recorded Off From T.V.Even Though If They Too Young To Remember It.Am I 100% Right Don Music 2004??

Anybody?