A Real Treat

bigbird

Reaction score
I'm sure this was posted before on this site but it amazed me when I first saw it so I wanted to post it anyway. A while ago, the A&E channel aired its popular Biography series which focused on a 2 hour "behind the scenes" look at SS. I don't know anyone who is a SS enthusiast that would not appreciate this little gem. The show was repeated again not too long ago in 2 parts. The copy I have on video was the premier showing on Sunday nite at 9PM. It had various vintage clips (some complete, others only in pieces) along with camera angles of the SS studio that the viewer does not get to see on the normal showing. It showed the camera crew, Carroll Spinney in and out of his BB costume, different interviews and it ends with Oscar (appropriately) looking in the camera and shouting out, "Tonight's show was brought to you by the letters A&E...NOW SCRAM"!!!!! Has anyone seen this?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Yeah it was a pretty good special, you can buy it on dvd or vhs on the biography website, but the dvd doesn't have special features.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
Yeah, it was very cool. But it still creeps me out when I see them taking the Big Bird puppet off of Carrol Spinney. It just looks wrong for some reason.

Muppet Matt

Reaction score
Is this coming on again any time soon? I missed the last one.:smirk:

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Just buy the dvd or vhs as the Biography website.

Brinatello

Reaction score
Mickey Moose said:
Yeah, it was very cool. But it still creeps me out when I see them taking the Big Bird puppet off of Carrol Spinney. It just looks wrong for some reason.
That'll have the same effect on anyone at any age. Watching a fictional character and a human comes out from under it is a bit hard to take in. We all know there's people in the costumes, it's just the illusion or fantasy of it that slightly gets taken away when we see that sort of thing. I remember watching the making of TMNT 2 and there was a scene showing one of the actors having their turtle head removed, leaving his human head in view and the rest of the turtle body intact. It's creepy, sure, and that's why we have the magic of the movies to hide it all!

Okay, what was the topic? Oh, yeah. Hehehe. Yes, I have the A&E special on tape and I LOVE it! Great homage to Sesame Street, indeed.