A Sam of Sam and Friends Technique Query

Super Scooter

Reaction score
In Sam and Friends, there are several characters (including, of course, Sam) are made with a clay face, and a cloth neck. My question about this is, I know how to make the clay face, but how would you go about attaching it to the cloth neck? I have a design for a fantasy character I'm working on that would require this technique (it would be a lot less expensive than trying to make latex foam) and would like to know how it's done.

Thank you to anyone who might be able to help me.

Ryan

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
In Sam and Friends, there are several characters (including, of course, Sam) are made with a clay face, and a cloth neck. My question about this is, I know how to make the clay face, but how would you go about attaching it to the cloth neck? I have a design for a fantasy character I'm working on that would require this technique (it would be a lot less expensive than trying to make latex foam) and would like to know how it's done.

Thank you to anyone who might be able to help me.
I'm pretty sure Sam's head was actually made out of Paper Mache. If you are unfamilar with the technique, usually a balloon is blown up and tied. Then, a paste is made out of (If I remember correctly) flour, water, and glue. You then take stips of newspaper, soak them in the paste, and fully cover the balloon. You can then (once it's dry, usually overnight) cut the balloon to the shape you need, than paint it. Another technique uses chicken wire and the same paste and paper. The fabric can most likely be sewn to the back of the paper mache had.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Yeah, I think Ryan is right that the head was paper mache; clay would be way too heavy. Paper mache isn't used by a lot of puppet builders who tend to do "Muppet style" stuff but it's a very underrated material. I've seen some incredible beautiful puppets made with it.

Ronnie Burkett - who's an acclaimed Canadian marionette puppeteer - wrote a great article on paper mache a few years ago that's available on the web. Check it out at http://home.eol.ca/~props/papier.html

I hope that helps!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Okay. Thanks, y'all. I'll check out that website.

Paper mache will probably work better anyway.