A talkative co-worker?

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Here's what I'd do - I'd tell her, as politely as I can, that some of her questions are getting a little personal. If she doesn't back off, talk to the boss. It sounds like she's making it difficult for you to get work done, and that definitely calls for action.

Xerus

Reaction score
I mentioned the flirting likely wasn't romantic. There are different levels and motives for that sort of behavior. Perhaps there's some reason she wants your attention. Did she single in on you or is she like this with everybody?
I don't know if anyone else feels the same way I do or if she does this stuff to anyone else. Her desk is located far across the room. The times I have to face her is when we're near the same filing cabinets or when she passes my desk to go to the bathroom. I guess she's just a curious and chatty person.

Xerus

Reaction score
I'm worried if I tell her how I feel about her talking, she might think I'm an unfriendly person and all my other co-workers might think that too.

And I'm also worried if I tell my supervisors, they might not think I can handle things on my own.

I'm trying really hard to tolerate her, but I don't think I can hold it in anymore.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else feels the same way I do or if she does this stuff to anyone else. Her desk is located far across the room. The times I have to face her is when we're near the same filing cabinets or when she passes my desk to go to the bathroom. I guess she's just a curious and chatty person.
Hmmm. It seems to me she's one of those people who need constant affirmation from others.

The best way I’ve found to deal with such people is to give them a little bit of affirmation when it is deserved and conditioned on your need for peace. It works a lot of time. Respectful and honest flattery is a powerful incentive to a lot of folk.

However, some people talk when they are nervous and that can take a cue from others to get them to stop. If done right that person could actually be thankful. It all depends on the individual.

Either way, I hope you can resolve it. I'm the type that needs to work in quiet with the door closed. It doesn't always come off very friendly but I make up for that when the task is done. :smile:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well you could say nothing to anyone, and just come to Muppet Central and talk about it, or you could talk to her about it.
If she is really bothering you then politely tell her that you would love to talk to her on a break or something, and that your trying to fosas on your work.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Maybe some surefire conversation stoppers. Say things like:

"You look just like my ex-wife."

"I literally have bees flying around inside my skull."

"I had a dream that wild beavers chewed off your limbs last night. I wonder what it means..."

"Hey, would you keep a lookout while I look at dirty pictures here on my computer?"

"I'm writing a screenplay about a mentally divergent serial killer, and I think you would totally be the perfect lead."

(after staring blankly for a few minutes) "Sorry, I was just going number one in my pants."

Ha ha! Of course I'm totally joking, but boy it would be fun to mess around with someone like that. :smile:

Xerus

Reaction score
Well, I finally did it. That talky co-worker was finally getting on my nerves yesterday that I almost exploded. I just had to tell someone. My supervisor said she would talk to this woman and work everything out. The woman just passed me by while I was working without saying anything. I feel pretty guilty for silencing her and I feel that I'm not so friendly anymore. I just hope I can face her when Monday comes.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally did it. That talky co-worker was finally getting on my nerves yesterday that I almost exploded. I just had to tell someone. My supervisor said she would talk to this woman and work everything out. The woman just passed me by while I was working without saying anything. I feel pretty guilty for silencing her and I feel that I'm not so friendly anymore. I just hope I can face her when Monday comes.
Good luck. It's a difficult circumstance, but I'm sure you're not the first person to have that issue with her. You deserve to have a quiet space to work. There's nothing to feel bad about. :smile:

Xerus

Reaction score
Good luck. It's a difficult circumstance, but I'm sure you're not the first person to have that issue with her. You deserve to have a quiet space to work. There's nothing to feel bad about. :smile:
Thank you for understanding. All I want is peace at work.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Reminds of that episode of Cow and Chicken, where Cow talked too much, getting on Chicken's nerve, and as such, he tells her to her face "I wish you were to shut up forever! Not one more word! Not one SYLLABLE!" As a result, Cow gave Chicken the silent treatment. Chicken is then later ran over by a lady truck driver, and he press charges against her, and has Cow testify as his witness, but since Cow is giving him the silent treatment, she tries to give her account of the story via charades... but since Red Guy misinterprets her action, Chicken is actually found guilty, and arrested for fifty years; on a congicle visit, Chicken finally apologizes for what he said to Cow, and she admits that she was trying to tell everybody Chicken was NOT guilty.

Basically, in the end, Chicken learned that age-old moral - be careful what you wish for you.

Personally, I know how the girl feels; all my life (especially when I was younger), people ALWAYS told my parents that I talk too much. Maybe that's why I had very few friends in real life.