Abby Cadabby mentioned in "Cinderella Ate My Daughter!"

Princeton

Reaction score
I've been reading a great book called "Cinderella Ate My Daughter!" by Peggy Orenstein about how little girls are being desensitized by society and the media. Anyway, there’s a chapter about how most merchandise and children’s show characters are associated with the color pink in one way or another and Orenstein cited Abby Cadabby as an example. Clearly she’s done her homework because she interviewed Sesame Street’s current executive producer, who said that ever since the show’s inception, they’ve tried to add a new female character every season and for the most part they’ve all been unsuccessful. Lulu “wasn’t pretty enough” and Zoe “never caught on” (I also found out that her tutu was created for that reason, so that answers the question that my “Zoe’s Tutu” thread posed), which Orenstein translates to “neither of them were pink”. Hence why Abby Cadabby is pink. A lot of this makes sense to me, except for the idea that Zoe wasn’t accepted by the audience. Zoe was introduced in 1993 and was the primary female character until Abby Cadabby was introduced in 2006. That’s thirteen years! If the producers really felt that way about Zoe, they would have tried to replace her long before they actually did. How do you all feel about all this?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Zoe stuck around. Lulu didn't capture the attention of the kids watching, but bad timing also stifled the character. After all, her puppeteer went off to Broadway for Avenue Q.

Abby has that special something that the other girls didn't, but it seems that it got watered down when they tried making her the main female character. In her first appearances, she was full of self doubt and chronically shy. She did over come that, and there are hints of frustration when she messes up a spell now and then... but she was arguably deeper when she first appeared, and I think there's a lot of potential in the character that's not being completely utilized.

Zoe should be a role model for young geeks in the making. There's something that hints at she'd be a geeky, quirky young woman if she grew up. Her pet rock Rocko, her weird fashion sense... I think that some girls can identify with that, but probably won't appreciate it until they're older.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
ever since the show’s inception, they’ve tried to add a new female character every season and for the most part they’ve all been unsuccessful.
The problem with most kids shows, including Sesame Street at times, is their sole motivation is to fill a quota (more girl characters, etc.) rather than create a well rounded character.

Zoe was introduced in 1993 and was the primary female character until Abby Cadabby was introduced in 2006. That’s thirteen years! If the producers really felt that way about Zoe, they would have tried to replace her long before they actually did. How do you all feel about all this?
Well I guess they mean Zoe didn't catch on in a HUGE way the way Elmo did, with a billion toys selling, heh.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem with most kids shows, including Sesame Street at times, is their sole motivation is to fill a quota (more girl characters, etc.) rather than create a well rounded character.
Token characters are the worst, but it really isn't the fault of the creators. These groups complain they aren't being represented, but any time they add a character with flaws and problems (stuff that makes a character rich and believable) someone gets antsy pants about it and complains, and shouts sexism or racism.

Abby can be a full character in the same way Elmo can... but too often they force the two together to play flat guessing games and go on alphabet hunts instead of treating characters like characters. Zoe, however, manages to show her character whenever possible... the precocious oddball kid who doesn't quite conform to anyone else. It took me forever to pick up on that, actually. I knew weird little girls when I was younger. They're the ones I'd actually attempt to talk to.

Still, I like Abby constantly asking her mommy for help, getting annoyed by her own short comings as a young student of magic. She's not quite as easily frustrated as Don Music, but sometimes you can really tell she's not happy when she screws something up. Sometimes she dusts it off as an "Oh well," sometimes she moans "what's the use?" I really wanna see more of that and less of alphabet hunts and nature guessing games.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Still, I like Abby constantly asking her mommy for help, getting annoyed by her own short comings as a young student of magic. She's not quite as easily frustrated as Don Music, but sometimes you can really tell she's not happy when she screws something up. Sometimes she dusts it off as an "Oh well," sometimes she moans "what's the use?" I really wanna see more of that and less of alphabet hunts and nature guessing games.
Huh...now that's an image...Abby Cadabby paired with Don Music, lol.

So would this be before or after he went to his anger management classes (i.e. when he noticeably stopped banging his head on the show. :wink: )

Drtooth

Reaction score
Either.

It seems when Abby screws up and gets frustrated, she seems to take it with a more "what's the use" kick over a can and shrug shoulders type way. She did that at least a couple times, I swear she did. But it seems more likely (at least lately) that she shrugs it off as an "oh well" more like Mumford.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Zoe stuck around. Lulu didn't capture the attention of the kids watching, but bad timing also stifled the character. After all, her puppeteer went off to Broadway for Avenue Q.

Abby has that special something that the other girls didn't, but it seems that it got watered down when they tried making her the main female character. In her first appearances, she was full of self doubt and chronically shy. She did over come that, and there are hints of frustration when she messes up a spell now and then... but she was arguably deeper when she first appeared, and I think there's a lot of potential in the character that's not being completely utilized.

Zoe should be a role model for young geeks in the making. There's something that hints at she'd be a geeky, quirky young woman if she grew up. Her pet rock Rocko, her weird fashion sense... I think that some girls can identify with that, but probably won't appreciate it until they're older.
I used to really like Lulu! I remember once she was annoying Alan, but brining mail to him every second , or so it seemed.
Zoe is a great character, but is best with either Rosita, Elmo, or even Abby.
Kind of like how Mr. Johnson would be forgotten without Grover!

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I have to admit Zoe is one of Fran Brill's best, I mean if they were worry about the color Pink, then look to Fran Brill's other Sesame Street character, Prarie Dawn. :insatiable:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I used to really like Lulu! I remember once she was annoying Alan, but brining mail to him every second , or so it seemed.
Zoe is a great character, but is best with either Rosita, Elmo, or even Abby.
Kind of like how Mr. Johnson would be forgotten without Grover!
I'm sure we would have seen more Lulu in time had her puppeteer been more available. Seems they tried bringing her back a couple seasons ago, but it was only a cameo.

I have to admit Zoe is one of Fran Brill's best, I mean if they were worry about the color Pink, then look to Fran Brill's other Sesame Street character, Prarie Dawn.
I love Prairie, but she works better as a straight man in a comedy sketch... those Letter of the Day game segments, those times when she was a contestant on Guy Smiley's game shows, even those times when it's only her and a narrator overnarrating things.

I really like Abby, but when Abby and Elmo are together it seems forced. However, Zoe and Elmo work beautifully off each other. Especially when Zoe brings Rocko the rock in. She's the ONLY one that can actually get Elmo to a state of annoyance. That says something. I didn't appreciate Zoe for years, but one day it dawned on me that shew was supposed to be that one weird little girl you knew.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I'm sure we would have seen more Lulu in time had her puppeteer been more available. Seems they tried bringing her back a couple seasons ago, but it was only a cameo.

I love Prairie, but she works better as a straight man in a comedy sketch... those Letter of the Day game segments, those times when she was a contestant on Guy Smiley's game shows, even those times when it's only her and a narrator overnarrating things.

I really like Abby, but when Abby and Elmo are together it seems forced. However, Zoe and Elmo work beautifully off each other. Especially when Zoe brings Rocko the rock in. She's the ONLY one that can actually get Elmo to a state of annoyance. That says something. I didn't appreciate Zoe for years, but one day it dawned on me that shew was supposed to be that one weird little girl you knew.
I remember I saw Lulu or a similar puppet on the rainbow episode when Elmo makes his monster rainbow and she says to Elmo and Rosita, "I remember you guys!" I remember you too Lulu!