1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Abby in Wonderland to Air on PBS Friday November 28

Discussion in 'Sesame Appearances' started by Drtooth, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

(I don't know if this would be a double post, but I thought this needs a heads up)

If you don't want to spend money on, or rent the DVD, but you're still curious to see it... Good News, everyone! PBS will are it as part of the "Feast of Favorites" the day after Thanksgiving.

WGBH will air it during Sesame Street's regular morning hours, 10 AM.. it may be different in your area, but it is a pretty safe bet that it will air in SS's regular time slot.
  2. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Well glad to know that are showing it on TV for parents who can afford to shove out the money to buy it for their kids right now.
  3. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

That's odd, it came on my station today. I only watched the first five minutes then got bored with it, so I turned.:(

I went to turn it back on later then the 'Golden Triangle of Destiny' episode was on.
  4. Drtooth

They must have accidentally gotten the tapes mixed up. I've seen that happen a lot with certain channels. I recall one station that had the wrong ending credit segments (are they called cold closings?) for That 70's Show and King of Queens every so often... like they had the ending of the previous day's episode used twice or something.

But yeah, this is great for people that want to watch it, but don't want to buy it. I almost went to see it when they had it as the Kidtoon cinemas promotion, but thought I'd look too much like a weirdo since I could only go by myself.
  5. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Active Member

Even Buying SS Dvds you get some strange looks.
  6. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

It appears this is airing three times today on one of my stations and once again tomorrow.

EDIT: And to fill out the hour, the added in The Golden Triangle of Density, complete with added intro from the Adventure DVD.
  7. Drtooth

If anyone at Muppet Wiki is listen...err.. reading, the broadcast version is as follows:

Word on the Street opening- Rhyme
    Abby in Wonderland
    "I Believe in Little Things" (animated ribbon remake with Abby and Elmo singing)
    Word on the Street opening- Octagon
    Golden Triangle of Destiny (with title card)
    Abby in Wonderland end credits....
  8. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I have to say I was pretty disappointed with it. It really was a lot like Elmo's World. I've heard that in Season 40, Abby will have a new 15-minute segment, and this special basically is a sample of what Season 40 will be like. If you do the math, here's what it seems like:

15 minutes of street scene
    Murray Had a Little Lamb
    15 minutes of Abby
    Those STUPID Ernie & Bert claymation sketches
    Elmo's World
    And that will leave just enough time for the letter & number of the day.

There you have it! Sesame Street has been RUINED!
  9. Oscarfan

I heard that she may get her own segment too, but I doubt it will take up another 15 minutes.
  10. Drtooth

By that logic, SS was ruined long before that, with that season 34 structure shake up. And most of that stuff is gone now. So no matter what they do to SS, EW is the only thing that they still have. And even then, they tried hard to get away from it.

That said, This special did kind of remind me... well, anyone remember a Disney Channel show called "Adventures of Alice in Wonderland?" I saw a couple episodes when they syndicated it on Sunday mornings. There was like a hint of that in the air.

All and all, I wonder what this special WOULD have been like if they had higher production values... like an actual movie or telefilm. Bigger sets, more special effects... all that stuff.
  11. jonnytbird

jonnytbird Member

I DVR'ed it yesterday. Atleast it was better then wasting money on buying the DVD. But now that you mention it ssetta, I certainly cannot believe that they're just gonna keep making it worse by letting Abby have her own segment like Elmo's World.
  12. Drtooth

I have to say one thing here... at least Alice wasn't a random human celebrity, leaving the Muppets to have to play second (or third) in bit parts... We've seen that all too many times (I liked MTI though).

Could you imagine? Even making Elmo a bit part... eek.

I also don't like the idea of Abby getting a quarter of the show either... I hope it's just a rumor... but Ssetta's been right about this sort of thing before... despite the fact it was a lot later than he had thought.
  13. Oscarfan

If she does get her own segment, I think it would be like the Abby's Fairy Fun clips on the podcast, just short 2-3 minute sketches with her and Elmo.
  14. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Just a thought here...until we get a confirmation from an official source, we're pretty much going off of speculation...but let's say Abby DOES get her own 15 minute segment. That's not to say an episode would contain BOTH 15 minutes of Abby's show AND 15 minutes of Elmo's World...it may be one or the other in an episode (not every recent episode even HAD an EW so they've been trying to gradually ween away from that tradition)
  15. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

I think the reason they're wanting to phase out EW is because they're running out of ideas. Think about it...only 2 new EW this season? Besides...what more can Elmo think about! The new SSL show doesn't even have the EW portion of the show(which they have been doing for some years now). Besides, the sooner they drop the segment the better. I must admit it was cute for maybe 4 seasons, but after...agh.

I like the Elmo character and all, but the segment just ruined it for me!
  16. Drtooth

Apparently, that didn't fare so good. This really should be brought up in another thread, since it seems a topic worthy to discuss outside of something related... but the fact of the matter is, they TRIED to move away from that (did I have enough emphasis on "try"? :wisdom: ) but that tested poorly, and they haven't been able to follow that through. Now, I would love to see them try to alternate between an Abby segment and an Elmo segment, but in the long run, that's gonna test poorly (or mixed at best) and either the Abby segment will be eliminated completely, or mixed into the rest of the show...

EDIT The discussion has been moved here