ABC cancels GCB

Drtooth

Reaction score
Family Guy was great up until the second year (inclusive) that they brought it back. Then the humor changed to convey a new audience, and the episodes suffered. Sure, there's a good adventure episode every so often, but it's just lazy. It's lazy because it's popular and there's no need to try if you're already on top. American Dad is far better written anyway. Even the Cleveland Show has more likable characters.

All Family Guy does now is just have all the characters be over the top nasty to each other. The one where Peter makes Joe's crying his ringtone was in poor taste. But gamers who desecrate bodies when playing Halo love that stuff. :rolleyes:

South Park's offensive because it uses offensiveness to bring up a point. FG does it because they exhausted everything that was funny about the show from 1999-2004 and turned into a shell of its former self.

TheWoodringman

Reaction score
Never have watched GCB for 3 reasons
1. It came on too late for me.
2. I didn't like the concept.
3. Never have watched any primetime (Except for local news and Jeopardy!) since NBC cancelled Knight rider 2008 (C'mon people! I thought the show had potential! I gave it a chance!)

Drtooth

Reaction score
That said, ABC also canceled that Pan-Am thing. What the heck was the premise of that one? All I know is they wanted to make their own Mad Men period piece.

Also NBC canceled Awakew to the surprise of nobody. Come on NBC! Non-episodic genre crap with a long, drawn out storyline?! You learned NOTHING from The Event?

Personally, I'm glad it's nothing I've grown attatched to. i actually was starting to dig Breaking In, but it's not a total loss. Though Megan Mellaly was a billion times funnier here than she ever was on that lame Will and Grace show.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
That said, ABC also canceled that Pan-Am thing. What the heck was the premise of that one? All I know is they wanted to make their own Mad Men period piece.

Also NBC canceled Awakew to the surprise of nobody. Come on NBC! Non-episodic genre crap with a long, drawn out storyline?! You learned NOTHING from The Event?

Personally, I'm glad it's nothing I've grown attatched to. i actually was starting to dig Breaking In, but it's not a total loss. Though Megan Mellaly was a billion times funnier here than she ever was on that lame Will and Grace show.
I tried to watch Awake. I just didn't care about the characters, what was happening or which reality was real. I kind of felt the protagonist was probably in a coma the whole time. Maybe that's how they'll end it. That show will likely remain a mystery to people no matter how they end it. LOL!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I tried to watch Awake. I just didn't care about the characters, what was happening or which reality was real. I kind of felt the protagonist was probably in a coma the whole time. Maybe that's how they'll end it. That show will likely remain a mystery to people no matter how they end it. LOL!
No one knows how to handle those kinds of shows.

Heroes had a splendid first season, but even the writers agreed they couldn't keep it up. Then the writer's strike hit them hard when they finally found their groove, and they never found their footing after that. The Event just lost everyone when they said "It was ALIENS!!!" Lost was one of the few to get to the finish line, and then it had the STUPIDEST ending possible. I'm glad I never got involved with all that. They have these deep rooted things that are supposed to connect, but they didn't because they wuz dead the whole time?!?! You might as well have had the cast all drop their pants and moon the audience calling them "losers" and "geeks," telling them to "get a life." It wasn't a TV series... it was a prank.

These long form, continuity driven, ambitious genre shows have time and time again failed. Even if they're good, you just can't get into the shows because you know they're going to be canceled as soon as it drags you in.

Fox also canceled Alcatraz. What does that tell you? That NO ONE leans their lesson, and it's best to go episodic.