1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

ABC officially cancels "The Muppets"

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by JimAndFrank, May 12, 2016.

1. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I've been saying that for some time. A Pigs in Space short would be the perfect accompaniment for the next Star Wars movie.

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That's the thing that completely baffles me about all of this. Now, I understand that you can't have the puppeteers working 24/7 on all the things they do. They're people, they need to take breaks and they need to recharge in between projects. I get it.

What I don't get is how the internet content is ignored (especially in the case where they already did them), especially when that's where they do the most business. It's a sad state that Clickbait passed around on Facebook gets more attention than a TV series and 2 movies combined, but if that's the case, work it! While the first movie was only a modest success, the non-stop barrage of parody movie trailers probably brought in more excitement and views. And they didn't even need to get the puppeteers to do anything.

Now, if there's one thing I have a massive beef of with Disney's handling of the Muppets it's this. The long buildup of nothing, then the sudden burst of oversaturation, followed by a huge build up of nothing, then a burst of too much. A general, steady stream of consistent Muppets probably would have been a lot better in keeping the characters in the public eye than months of nothing then too many appearances (QVC? Really?). And the best place for that is a weekly or biweekly little Muppet skit online. They HAVE stuff, they HAVE footage that they're sitting on. They can use all this stuff without having to fly performers around. Cut up TV shows into Minisodes. Dig up the Pigs in Space cartoons from Little Muppet Monsters. SOMETHING! And that'll work a lot better than a TV show no one wants to tune into or a movie that everyone avoids because it's a sequel, and we have to be disproportionately snobby to movie sequels.

3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

As I've said many times before, not everybody has internet. People in rural areas, older people, or people who just simply can't afford home internet. Not only that, but speaking from experience, people are very picky-choosy about what they like on the internet, and it seems to me that it's the more "trendy" stuff that people tend to flock to on the internet in terms of entertainment: Top 10s, Let's Plays, movie reviews, unboxing, those sort of things. Not much room for originality, but certain channels out there that do get considerable amount of attention from people do so because they paid Google to put them out there and promote the heck out of them (while Google, in turn, makes a percentage off their revenue).

4. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

Not everybody has TV either. People are picky about what they watch on TV. I don't see your point. The videos on the Muppets' channel has thousands of views, there wouldn't be anything wrong with making more videos.

5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

More people have and/or watch TV than have internet though.

6. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Well-Known Member

Found an interesting article about the whole Streaming vs Pay-TV thing from 2015.

http://variety.com/2015/digital/new...onsumer-viewing-preferences-study-1201477318/

I think Snowth is right that in some regions and depending on age, many people still rely on Pay Tv, (Cable and Satellite) televisions. But also now we have those streaming sticks and set top blu rays that can also hook into netflix and the like. The line is a lot blurrier than we think.

EITHER route a new show would be broadcast in would leave some people out in the cold. and honestly the Streaming vs Pay TV could be it's own thread because that is an interesting trend.

anyway.

7. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

you know what, I don't think that there are going to be anymore Muppet projects for awhile, due to the fact that two of the muppeteers, are coping with major losses.

8. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

You're right. That is true.

scooterfan360 likes this.
  9. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

The Muppets always keep going, even when Jim Henson, who was the boss, creator, main visionary and the overall heart and soul of the group died, the Muppets still kept going. So I don't think that would be an issue. I don't exactly think Tyler Bunch or Peter Linz will be in a state of grief forever, they still have families to take care of. I'm sure it won't be too long before they're back to working, they love their jobs and their fans too much for that.

Plus, Peter and Tyler don't really have any consistent main characters, they're mostly just handers and background characters, so while they are valuable to the team, there are also dozens of other Muppeteers who can do the same job.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    Duke Remington and Mo Frackle like this.
  10. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

yeah that is true also, I will be waiting for what ever happens next.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  11. Whatnot1988

Whatnot1988 Active Member

While we're discussing ideas for new Muppet projects, I'd like to mention an idea I've talked about before in another thread:

Pigs in Space: The Animated Series
    PIS:TAS is a sci-fi-comedy-action cartoon that would have very similar aspects to the Duck Dodgers series that ran on Cartoon Network a while back, though it takes its influence from other action-comedy cartoons as well. Yes, it would be nice if it was a puppet show, but being an homage to the action-comedy genre naturally demands it--it's hard to choreograph battle or combat scenes when the characters are cut off at (and usually don't exist below) the waist. In addition, the fact that two of the Muppeteers are coping with losses is circumvented by having the characters voiced by veteran cartoon VA's--Jeff Bennett for Link Hogthrob and maybe Rob Paulsen for Dr. Strangepork (I don't know who'd voice Piggy though). And yes, I am well aware that the Pigs in Space cast are no strangers to the world of animation, but you can't blame a guy for thinking out loud, right?

12. Drtooth

The Muppets will never have another cartoon series. We all remember the two proposals from the early 00's with ghastly designs. Can't seem to find them specifically on Muppet Wiki because the names escape me for a moment. Nothing came of those. Then there was Little Muppet Monsters, which we all know well was never finished and just pulled. Still don't see why they couldn't take all the finished and delivered animations and cut them into a short lived Mubbet Babies follow up show.

Seriously, anything outside of Muppet Babies (the ONLY one that was successful) just didn't have much of a baring on the Muppets. I doubt anyone would care to have a Muppet cartoon series if they aren't going to watch the actual Muppets.

Besides. The way they treat cartoons on TV today, it doesn't sound like anything that would likely be attempted. There's like 3 or 4 channels that have original animation that aren't preschool entertainment, and they only have a small roster of shows when they show them. That's why Dreamworks and so many others went to Netflix. At least there's a place for them.

13. Mo Frackle

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Darin_McGowan_pitches

14. Drtooth

If anyone is working on the Muppet Wikia, can you please put these in the "Unfinished projects" category. That's why I had trouble finding them.

But...ugh...those are worse than I remember. Well, the Electric Mayhem one sounds great, but Muppets '75? UGH! And there are those who found the reason for the Muppet break up depressing in The Muppets '11. Especially considering Lew Lorde was a tribute to the only one with the vision to get them their first series, that's...unpleasant and disrespectful. Clearly these were made when Family Guy started out.

15. Pig's Laundry

No problem.

16. Pig's Laundry

EDIT: Okay, so the reason it's not in the category of "Unfinished Projects" is because it wasn't created by anyone working with the Henson Company, it was simply pitched to them by a fan. Henson turned down the idea because they didn't want to do a cartoon with the main Muppet characters. There were never any plans from the company to make this show, thus the reason it's in the "Muppet Fandom" category.

Mo Frackle likes this.
  17. Mo Frackle

I have to say I dig Piggy's locker in the "Waiting for Kermit" pitch - pictures of frogs on the door -nice touch!

18. JT Yorke

JT Yorke Active Member

Jim henson said, if the audience wants these characters to live on they will..

scooterfan360 likes this.
  19. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

20. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Someone on Twitter asked Muppet director/writer what his next Muppet project would be, and he replied by saying he was writing and directing a series that he could not talk about. So they are working on something!

Also have you all been following the Muppets on Facebook and Twitter? Since the shows canalation they have been hitting those sites like crazy. Janice posted on Twitter a picture of the band saying they have been with her since her dad passed away. When did that happen?

Pig's Laundry and scooterfan360 like this.