1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

ABC Orders Muppet Pilot To Series!

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by charlietheowl, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. RealWonderman

RealWonderman Active Member

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! IT'S TIME TO LIGHT THE LIGHTS, FOLKS!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
    LouisTheOtter and Duke Remington like this.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Supposedly, it's going to be a balance of what the Muppet Show was and mockumentary format. I'd say something like The Comedians would be the best bet, only with more Muppets. Something like a The Comedians/Louie/30 Rock format is what I'm seeing and it works. I think "The Office" is thrown around too much as far as explanations of the format go. The Office seems to be the easy go-to, yet completely inaccurate. Only Office like show I see is Modern Family, and that was long ago when it first premiered and since has come into its own.

This seems to be a great mix of old and new style, and I don't see what the big deal is. As long as it's not that horrible reality show parody Disney tried at first. If there's 2 Muppet projects I'm glad didn't happen, it's that and the Fox show.

But I admit, he does have a right to complain just as we have every right to lambaste him for it.

3. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

it would not fail if it is done right.

4. Drtooth

Define "right."

And without the words "exact copy of the original series."

Only person who could even manage to get exact copy down pat was Roger Langridge, and even then he improved upon the format with... what's that term again? Oh yeah. "Personal lives." He took the fawning over guest stars out (mainly because there was no logical way to) and replaced them with character development. I don't see anyone else doing half as good a job as that.

Duke Remington likes this.
  5. Mister Muppet

Mister Muppet Well-Known Member

Yaaaaaaaay Finally a new Muppet series
    This is Amazing news, this is so exciting :excited:
    THE MUPPETS ARE COMING BACK TO TELEVISION :fanatic:

6. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

It's a great time to be a Muppet Fan!

7. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

No words :)

[​IMG]

It's not copying. It's the new format. It's like saying Modern Family is a copy of The Office since it has the same mockumentary look.

I also am seeing comments on other sites how people are up in arms its not a variety show...well, that Lady Gaga and the Muppets thing was a variety show and that stunk, and the ratings for Muppets Tonight wasn't too hot.

There's been sooo many variety show attempts in the last two decades, each one worse and worse.

If people want to see how terrible a "variety Muppet Show" in the modern era would be, go check out the French Muppet Show or the recent Lady Gaga thing.

Meanwhile I loved the heck out of Disney Drive Muppets, and they weren't even trying with that. And I love the cinematography from those stills alone we've been teased with from the ABC Muppets pilot.

8. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Also...WAS THAT SPAMALA ANDERSON IN THE FIRST PICTURE?!?!?!

9. Mister Muppet

Mister Muppet Well-Known Member

Wayne, Wanda, Pops. This looks Awesome, but who is that pig next to Pops I don't know why but it doesn't look like Piggy to me. Anyway Scooter is rocking that Hawaiian shirt

LouisTheOtter and muppetlover123 like this.
  10. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Its spamela

cahuenga and LaRanaRene like this.
  11. Muppetboy09

12. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I'll be excited to see the trailer (?) on Tuesday, especially after seeing the pictures that have come out over the past couple weeks. Here's hoping for some exciting clips.

ploobis likes this.
  13. Muppetboy09

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sorry for all the posts...MORE PICTURES!

14. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

Animal on a motorcycle! Pops! Pamela! Carl! YES!!!!

15. MUPPETFAN1976

MUPPETFAN1976 Active Member

I am so thrilled about this news!!!

16. dwayne1115

This show is going to be awesome! Could it be a return of Wane and Wanda?

17. SpookyMania

SpookyMania Member

This is all moving so quickly! Can we just have the show now? Please?

18. Muppetboy09

19. Drtooth

I was talking about variety shows in general. Not that they were all bad, mind you, but most of them were. And that was a case of everything being virtually the same in that era as well. The 1970's baffle me. They had these groundbreaking sitcoms, these very good police shows, yet these cheesy variety shows that aren't even good enough to be camp and the worst cartoons of all time. The original Muppet Show managed to do a great job and even subtly deconstruct that, letting it flourish just when the over-saturation of variety shows was coming to an end. Remember reading about an Addams Family variety show that never made it past the pilot and one reviewer said (and I quote) "it couldn't have been worse if they done it in Blackface." Eek!

I wouldn't even bother to call the Gaga thing a variety special so much as a clumsy, rushed attempt to promote 2 things and failing at both. And MT suffered from trying to be The Muppet Show with a hip Jay Leno talk show vibe (remember when he was considered "hip" and people actually liked him?) and failing at both, yet found it's voice just before it was cancelled. And it's a shame since it did show signs of great humorous pop culture bits. Seinfeld Babies, Co-Dependents Day, Kermit's Talking Heads cover. All great bits. Then you look at some of the episodes of the last season with multiple guests, character driven storylines, and backstage plotlines. Why couldn't the rest of the show be like that? it was amazing.

20. dwayne1115

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.