Abstract sketches

SesameMike

Reaction score
Remember those animated sketches that had no apparent meaning?

1. A series of white circles appearing from left to right on a dark background, then appearing for the next row below until the whole screen was filled. With each dot's appearance was a snare drum beat with a fife-like note, the effect being a distinct melody throughout the sequence. There were a number of variations on this animation, like where one of the dots "burns out", or the last dot refuses to show up. A very rare version had mutant squares showing up from the bottom right.

2. A "dark" animation of a forlorn black circle approaching, from the right, what appears to be the edge of a mountain. The circle made an intermittent squeaking sound as it moved (though it made a "boing" sound if it bounced). The circle seemed like it was trying to get around the mountain, but never could. Though one day a different circle managed to "Pac-Man" his way through the mountain, which then crashed down on the passageway he made.

superfan

Reaction score
I remember those! The first one was on SS's first episode.

If you want to go by way of odd animation, (but with more of a meaning I guess...learn to count), how about that rubber band face on a black background who would count the balls as they went by...as an animated ball zipped by, his rubber band mouth would drag behind it almost off screen. It was the wierdest bit I remember seeing...and haven't seen much in comparison since.