Adults should watch Mr. Rogers

snichols1973

Reaction score
There have been several urban myths out there, in regards to the background of Fred Rogers, which allegedly claimed that he wore his famous sweater to conceal the tattoos on his arms which he supposedly obtained while serving in the military (he went straight into college from high school, moved into the TV industry, and attended the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary and was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1963).

He was born in 1928, and was far too old to have been drafted into service during the Vietnam War (1965-72) and too established in his career to have run off to enlist.

www.snopes.com/radio/tv/mrrogers.asp

Nevertheless, even though Fred Rogers died in 2003, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, which is based on the memorable characters from the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, is a family-friendly, animated version that continues to promote Mr. Rogers' legacy....:smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
This show is definite proof that just because something is made for kids (specifically preschoolers) does not mean it should be a low-quality product. Rather, Mister Rogers' show is one that makes you look back upon and appreciate how charming and witty it was, making you love it all the more. It's what all kids' shows should aim for, rather than be a show that makes you say "Why did I watch this crap?" as you get older.

I weep for the state of preschool programming of today with such pap as Dora, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and Super Why. You know, that loud, slow-talking, "I need your help with something I can easily do myself" way that's somehow good for kids and makes grownups want to blow their brains out, rather than the gentle "Hi, neighbor" way of fourth-wall-breaking that Mister Rogers utilizes.

Though I will say there seems to be a slight move away from that stuff with shows like Sofia the First, which sometimes I can't even tell that it's written for preschoolers. Plus, Cedric the Sorcerer is just plain hilarious, and voiced by Wakko Warner no less. :smile:

Sadly, I didn't appreciate the beauty of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and the man's message until I was older.

Thanks for bring this to our attention. :smile:
Like I said, that's a good sign of a quality kids' show. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Though I will say there seems to be a slight move away from that stuff with shows like Sofia the First, which sometimes I can't even tell that it's written for preschoolers. Plus, Cedric the Sorcerer is just plain hilarious, and voiced by Wakko Warner no less. :smile:
You know, I've been getting into sometimes watching Peg + Cat (which is, oddly enough, is produced by the Fred Rogers Foundation) and it's quite a show. It has unexpectedly sly humor, and comes off as something either a father or mother made for their little girl. It has an actual heartfelt sweetness to it, instead of a saccharine cloying cuteness.

I'd say the Dora/Blue's Clues/Mickey's Clubhouse ghetto of pseudo-interactive preschool shows is coming to an end. They're actually producing some choice stuff now.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Fred Rogers was quite the man. It would be great to keep his show running so today's kids could get exposed to something so positive (and their parents can be reminded of how good he was).

Some experts say what a child is exposed to between the ages of zero and five will shape their lives more than anything else. Having been born in 1968, I got exposed to Mr. Rogers, the first four years of Sesame Street, Electric Company, Zoom, Carrascolendas, anything on the PBS line-up was solid gold to me- even the test patterns!

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Yay! I love Mr. Rogers.:smile::wisdom: He's one of my Christian heroes. One of my favorite quotes about him is from Tom Brokaw, who once said of him, "The real Mr. Rogers never mentioned God (on his show.) He never had to." That is certainly true- the love of Jesus Christ exuded from him on the show and in his life. What a great example for children- I hope Mister Rogers' Neighborhood is always running on PBS.
(If anyone's interested in reading more about him, I HIGHLY recommend "The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers" by Amy Hollingsworth- excellent book! It brings me to tears at a number of places- so good. http://www.amazon.com/The-Simple-Fa...40&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Faith+of+Mister+Rogers

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I don't believe Mr. Rogers even would mention God if it were allowed on televison, because he wanted all children to feel safe and loved. He'd never let anybody feel they were wrong for beliefs. I don't know a lot about religion (I do believe in a God, but am not sure exactly what he's like), but I believe that's the best way to show "God's love" just showing love in general.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Well, it's certainly allowed to mention God on television. The point of Tom Brokaw's quote was that, though Mister Rogers was an ordained Presbyterian minister and viewed his television show as his special calling and ministry to show God's love to children, he never made it overtly preachy or anything. He simply lived out his faith and showed a great example of Christlike love and kindness. That's all I was trying to say too. And I love that.:smile: