Advice: Olaf from Frozen

SpookyMania

Reaction score
Hi, everyone.
So, I've never made a puppet before, but I've always wanted to. I work at a bookstore, and in May we're having a Once Upon a Time event where we're encouraged to dress up as fairy tale characters. Well, I don't really want to dress up, so I thought having a puppet with me would be more fun. And since Frozen's really big right now - and fits it perfectly with the fairy tale theme - I figured I'd make an Olaf puppet!
Only problem is I don't know where to start or what I should do first. Lurking the forums I've seen a lot of talent in the puppet-building department on here. So what do you guys think? How should it be done?

a Nubian Prince

Reaction score
I've recently made my first puppet and I used a Project Puppet pattern(Roly). Google Project Puppet and see what you think.

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
I was thinking about your post when my daughter was playing with her Olaf plush she got from the disney store. It might be the easiest way to do a puppet if you have never made one before. I looked on The bay of E and they have plent of them and they dont cost too much. this is what they are called.
Disney Frozen Olaf the Snowman Plush Figure 10'' 25cm Kid Doll Gift Teddy Toy.

If you took the bottom off and unstuffed him you could put a foam belly in that is hollow. It is quite easy and you can do it with thin sheet foam and hot glue. Look it up and i think you could find a tutorial somewhere on how to cut out the football shaped pieces that will glue together to form a barrel that can be inserted in the body sections. the only other part would be to build in a mouth plate and I think you would have to seam rip the mouth a bit. Its not impossible. it is probably really easy but I havent done it so I dont want to misrepresent the amount of work here. Put some arm rods on him and you could have a sweet puppet. If it were me I might replace his eyes with 2 plactic hemispheres with electrical tape irises. Again thos can be contact cemented on. Hope this helps. Matter of fact I think I might try this for myself. Seems fun and my daughter loves his character. Good luck.

SpookyMania

Reaction score
I considered reworking a plush actually, simply because I never have made a puppet before and Olaf might be a little too complex to start with. But this does seem like the easiest option right now (especially since I need it in a month). Thanks for your input!

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
Anytime. Everyone here is so gracious and helpful. They have helped me so much and I am happy to pay that forward if i can. Good luck and I think we would all love to see what you come up with.