Advice on making puppet patterns

Reaction score
So, I've made a couple of puppets now using both patterns I've found through this messageboard or through projectpuppet and now that I'm going to try my hand at my own shape I really have no idea what I'm doing. I can't wrap my head around the logistics of it, no matter how many times I look at the patterns I have (in order to make sense of them for something new) I just can't think of how to create a pattern. I know what my characters are to look like, but again, I just really could use some helpful hints to point me in the right direction for making the patterns. I know trial and error is inevitable but I want to make sure I'm starting on the right path at least. I'm having a similar problem with fabricating puppet heads that don't have a pattern, namely this one;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41111968@N00/1762313391/in/set-72157602722672544/

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Peter

apendola

Reaction score
Ok, so I just went through the same "roadblock" that you're going through right now, and hopefully I have some insight.

Your saving grace is the swazzle "Puppet101" blog (I don't have the link offhand, but a quick google search could help you out). Under the Ratchet tutorial, you will find a very simple and extremely effective (albeit time consuming) way to cover any shape head with fabric.

Once you've read that, here is my advice to tackle that particular headshape. In almost any headshape, there is a "given" seam that goes down the middle of the face. This is inevitable and can be seen on many muppets and jarrod boutcher puppets, so don't worry it it looks ugly to begin with, you'll get better at hiding your seams.
If it does not use a muzzle type mouth, you have 2 options for the draping "style" of the mouth. Would your puppet to have dimples like many muppets do? Or would you prefer none? If you would like your puppet to have dimples, divide the mouth into two halves, left and right, and glue the fabric all along the edge (or just inside) the mouth. Alternatively you could sew it to a piece of black felt attached to the mouthplate, but in the beginning stages of fabricating you shouldn't worry too much about techniques like this, they will come with time. As you bend the fabric at the vertex of the top and bottom lips, the dimple just seems to appear. Repeat this on the other side and sew the two pieces of fabric together so you do not accidently make the seam lopsided.

From there on out, you can use the technique outlined in swazzle. After you've finished, you will see that you can easily "derive" the project puppet patterns based on some strategic pinnning and cutting - but be warned, your first few attempts at this WILL look bad. It takes a while to understand where the best places for seams are that won't detract from the grain/direction/look of the fabric.

Also, don't use antron fleece your first time, but it is imperative that you use a fabric with a bit of stretch to it.

Also don't use fake fur the first time, you really need to see firsthand how the process is working.

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice! I just recieved the foam book in the mail yesterday, so that has given me more of a grasp on the foam skull construction as well.

Thank you again!