Advice on Simple Series puppet mouth

davidmartiste

Reaction score
I'm guessing I could glue down another mouth insert but, I'm looking to improve my puppet building skills and wanted to get some advice. For most of the mellonhead pattern, I machine sewed the puppet. However, I followed instructions to whip stitch the mouth and the stitching was HIGHLY visible. I considered a row of teeth but, way too involved. This puppet really lends himself to his simple look and, overall, I'm satisfied with the build. Any suggestions on the mouth issue are greatly appreciated. PEACE

http://api.ning.com/files/FjrrjAIkL...*ToK1t17e6ERjwPf4STU0EzWs6IlSCZP/gustavo1.jpg

http://api.ning.com/files/FjrrjAIkL...AwXqUvNlyhBi5D*coMzEB2n0RM0U67Bi/gustavo2.jpg

Melonpool

Reaction score
I usually glue the edge of the skin to the mouth palette (it overlaps about 1/2 an inch).

I was surprised to find this is the exact same way that many professionals do this as well. I was able to intern a few years ago with a former Muppet builder who helped me refine my skills a lot.

AEaston

Reaction score
I agree, I typically glue making sure I have excess...and then trim it down and it works great.

However, if you would like to sew, again leave excess, fold it over to leave desired overlap and slip stitch...I think that would work.

If it were me though, I'd just glue it :smile:

davidmartiste

Reaction score
I usually glue the edge of the skin to the mouth palette (it overlaps about 1/2 an inch).

I was surprised to find this is the exact same way that many professionals do this as well. I was able to intern a few years ago with a former Muppet builder who helped me refine my skills a lot.
Thanks Melanpool! I checked my Rotondo puppet as well and realized the mouth was glued. This seems like the logical thing to do.

davidmartiste

Reaction score
I agree, I typically glue making sure I have excess...and then trim it down and it works great.

However, if you would like to sew, again leave excess, fold it over to leave desired overlap and slip stitch...I think that would work.

If it were me though, I'd just glue it :smile:
Thanks AE - good idea to leave excess if I go the sew route but, I think you and Melanpool are right on about just gluing.

Rax

Reaction score
Using a thread in the color of the inside of the mouth instead of the skin color helps a bit too.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
You can certainly adjust the construction of the Melonhead puppet to allow for gluing.

Rax's suggestion to use thread the color of the mouth is excellent. Also it looks like the stitches could be made closer to the edge of the fleece/felt. You may also want to give the "locking whipstitch" a try. That will keep the stitches tight as you sew.

davidmartiste

Reaction score
Thanks Pasha! I was hoping you'd chime in at some point. I'll try that lock stitch on some practice material and, as I've pointed out, I'm not adverse to gluing.

By the way, I brought the new guy to work along with my others from your patterns and everyone was amazed that I actually made it myself. I had great fun putting smiles on some faces.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Glad to hear it, David!

And I know I probably sound like a broken record, but I really mean it when I say that the Project Puppet patterns are meant to be a starting point. Changes you make, materials, tools, skill sets, or whatever you employ in the building of your puppets, is what makes them your puppets, your characters, your processes, your style...and keeps the puppets of the world as diverse as their creators. :smile:

Keep experimenting!

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I machine sew my mouth....yeah I'm not a big fan of whipstitching. if anything a backstitch or a ladder stitch makes me happier. But whipstitch is really fun to say.