AFI Nominations

RobintheBrave

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I was just looking through the list of 50 nominations for Top 10 Fantasy films in the American Film Institute's recent 10 Top 10 special. Both The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth were among the nominations! Neither of them won a spot in the fantasy top ten, but I think their nominations are a real testament to their longevity, especially considering that neither was a huge critical or box office success when they came out.

Surprisingly, The Neverending Story, which was more successful at the time of its release, didn't make it on the nomination list. I know it's based on a German book, was it produced by a German film company? I guess that might disqualify it from AFI's list. Or maybe it just hasn't aged as well as TDC or Labyrinth. :scary:

Anyway, congrats to the Jim Henson Company! It's always great to see Jim's work recognized.

Robin the Brave

muppetfan89

Reaction score
I'm also glad to see that! It's about time his work was noticed by the AFI.

If was a list for animation in films, there should be one for puppetry. I think TDC and Labryinth would easily make the list, as well as the muppet movies. The Jim Henson Company would dominate a list like that.

Anyway, congrats to the Jim Henson Company. Jim probably has a big smile on his face as he looks down from heaven.

Red Aeryn

Reaction score
That's neat! :smile: I guess that proves that the Muppets--in whatever form--are classic.