After Years in Obscurity, I'm Back...

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Neither do I, but it's happening. If Abrams wanted to do a Trek movie set in the past, do something with a new crew. The late 23 century/early 24th century has yet to be touched on.

I think Paramount is trying to get something familar with the fans because everyone knows Kirk and Spock and Scotty. They started it all.
Woohoo! Star Trek Discussion!:wisdom:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think Paramount is trying to get something familar with the fans because everyone knows Kirk and Spock and Scotty. They started it all.
Yeah...I do get that, and I even get the geeky idea that because Next Generation slightly changed the past they can reboot with new technology and stuff without loosing the old Trek or making it obsolete, but still...It still seems kinda pointless.

Has anyone heard if there is at least gunna be some kind of T'Pol or Enterprise cameo?

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Yeah...I do get that, and I even get the geeky idea that because Next Generation slightly changed the past they can reboot with new technology and stuff without loosing the old Trek or making it obsolete, but still...It still seems kinda pointless.

Has anyone heard if there is at least gunna be some kind of T'Pol or Enterprise cameo?
Lenord Nimoy is supposed to come back as Spock for a second, I heard.

Oh and, the movie takes place in an alternate timeline/universe. Maybe that's why we see a younh Jimmy Kirk driving a car. But they're not supposed to have cars in the 23rd century!....

Ignorance

Reaction score
lost, eh? but you both made it back--did you try hare krishna? :wink: i, too, haven't been here that long, but welcome back to one of the only places in the world where not only does everyone get that joke, but it's not even very funny any more because it's so obvious...:boo:
Haha I read the 'lost' thing and was going to post the exact same thing. :sing:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well anyway, I can not wait for the Next Star Trek movie and I am very much looking froward to it.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Well anyway, I can not wait for the Next Star Trek movie and I am very much looking froward to it.
I sure can. The last movie came out in 2002, and it's now 2009. The last movie bombed and the opening weekend lost to a Jennifer Lopez movie. That told everyone something right there.

This might get a big opening weeked, but it will be due to the fact the people seeing this movie don't know about Star Trek and are probably seeing it because J.J. Abrams is directing it. That and it has two times the budget of the last trek film and is being released in the first week of the summer movies. If this movie bombs, then Paramount will have lost a lot of money and will probably let the Star Trek franchise die.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Neither do I, but it's happening. If Abrams wanted to do a Trek movie set in the past, do something with a new crew. The late 23 century/early 24th century has yet to be touched on.

According to William Shatner's book on the Trek movies, the idea of a "Kirk and Spock at the Academy" story was planned years ago, out of fear that the actors were getting too old. But they decided to do The Undiscovered Country instead.

I do want today's fans to be familiar with the classic Star Trek. But on the other hand, I think it's a shame Deep Space Nine never got its chance at the big screen. It had some of the best written scripts of any of the Trek series, period.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
According to William Shatner's book on the Trek movies, the idea of a "Kirk and Spock at the Academy" story was planned years ago, out of fear that the actors were getting too old. But they decided to do The Undiscovered Country instead.

I do want today's fans to be familiar with the classic Star Trek. But on the other hand, I think it's a shame Deep Space Nine never got its chance at the big screen. It had some of the best written scripts of any of the Trek series, period.
Yeah I read there was a story planned about doing a movie about Kirk and Spock at the Academy. Glad they scrapped that idea. I thought The Undiscovered Country was the best trek movie with the original crew, well the best trek movie including the The Next Generation films too.

Although I would like to see a DS9 movie, it will never happen. It's been 10 years since the show went off the air. Plus, if there was going to be a movie, I would like the writers do 5 part made for tv film, where each day can have one hour of the movie and you have to watch it everyday for a week to see what happens to who and so on. I say that because you have more freedom and more creative control to do what you what where as if you did a movie for the big screen, you might have some restricitions on what you can and can't do. You can get the writers of Ira Behr, Ron Moore, Robert Wolfe, and so on who wrote for the DS9 show to write the movie.

But that's not happening......

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah The Undiscovered Country was a wonderful film and definitely should have been made. Though I do feel bad about how some people involved in the Academy story got treated badly (at least that's what the book claims, you'd have to read it, heh).

It is probably too late for DS9 to do a movie and it is really a shame because the last couple of TNG movies just didn't work.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
It is probably too late for DS9 to do a movie and it is really a shame because the last couple of TNG movies just didn't work.
Insurrection could have worked if it were a lot darker and Picard and company had to face a corrupt Federation. That was how the trailer made the movie out to be.

Nemesis would have worked if it wasn't made!