ALERT!!! eBay Scam!!!

CyberSteak

Reaction score
So I check out my emails this morning and come across this...

I have stuff for sale (Elmo TMX's) so I think it must be someone asking about it. I click on the respond button and get this...

I punch in my username and password and get this...

Then are start thinking...that's odd. Somethings not right. So I forward the email to eBay and rush to change my passwords on my accounts. It's a spoof. And a very tricky one. Heads up boys! (and girls)

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oh! Yes, that's dreadfull. I'll be on the lookout.

Beau

Vic Romano

Reaction score
So what does it do? It says your personal info is safe (I understand I would still worry about that anyway too), but what info do you think it would it give away? Let us know what E-bay says when you hear back from 'em!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Vic, check the URL. It's not an e-bay site at all.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Yes it is, his links posted are screen caps of the e-bay page he hosted at photobucket. The first pic doesn't have an address bar but the other two do, and although there's like a paragraph of numbers before it. it still says e-bay.com. Is that like a fake e-bay site when those numbers are before it? I don't understand?

Honeydew

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Is that like a fake e-bay site when those numbers are before it? I don't understand?
Yes, it's fake. The real sign-in page for eBay looks like this:

https: //signin.ebay.com/

Anything else is fake!

If still in doubt...all you'd have to do in this case is go to eBay and enter the item number that the e-mailer is supposedly inquiring about. You'll learn that not only is it not an item that has anything to do with you, but that it's probably not a legitimate item number at all. In this particular case, you'll get a response from eBay that says: "This listing (250026510836) has been removed or is no longer available."

The eBay member name and/or member information will usually turn out to be wrong as well. In this case, "bluebellvue" is for real, but his/her feedback isn't 690 and their location isn't NC. Not even close!

Here is a link to an eBay help page about recognizing spoof web sites:

http: //pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-spoof.html

(Sorry, I had to add spaces to my links because the forum owner has the software set to not allow any links until after 10 posts.)

:eek:

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
I just got that same email this morning...and I don't even USE eBay.

Lame. :grouchy: