All Muppet Products Cover Art

petrieboy

Reaction score
After reading the comments on the new Muppet cd cover art, and thinking about all the Muppet cover art from the last decade, I've got to let loose...

I wish that I, or one of us, were in charge of promotion and marketing. It's not that I'm not thankful for Muppet products, but if they're gonna release them- let's release them in an exciting, alarming way- I've had it with generic computer age CRAP.

Remember that glorious Muppet Movie poster which featured Kermit and Piggy and it said "Frankly Piggy, I don't give a hoot" (or something to that effect)... it was brilliant. A true artist came up with it... just as a true artist came up with the original Dark Crystal and Labyrinth posters, which were intricate little... masterpieces... as far as I'm concerned.

What is with the dumming down of Henson's master creations? Yeh, theyre colorful, and great if the primary audience has turned to only children- but put some OOMPH into it. Children aren't stupid anyway, and we're not dealing with a primarily pre-school audience. You want your full audience back... then target the adults who grew up with Jim Henson.

Same reason I know I'll be disgusted with Kermit's Swamp Years. Same reason that Muppets From Space, which had so much potential, bit the dust. Same reason that the Muppets are not popular anymore. Just because the creator has passed away, doesn't mean you let his creation rot away. And just because they're still being tried out for the public in different ways does not mean they are not rotting. Why can't the marketers take a look at what made the Henson products so appealing, in the same way that Palisades has gone all the way... It's saying something when a toy company does more for the Muppets than anyone else has in years.

I could almost throw up looking at the Disney-Muppet video covers that were drawn like a coloring book... then I got so hopeful when the movies were coming to dvd. But alas, they looked like a People magazine cut out. First thing that stands out in a music store or in a dvd section are COVERS... Seeing the Muppets on a cover alone won't do very much, there's plenty of Muppet things to choose from for the average customer. So ya gotta make something that stands out.. something that says "Yeh its the Muppets... but look at the beauty in the cover- something that makes us nostalgic or curious enough to buy it. An example: Instead of making that hideous "Dark Crystal" dvd cover in 1999... they should have put the original poster art on the dvd- I guarantee it would have made happier customers. Take a look at the back of the Dark Crystal dvd, and imagine just the photo as the cover, imagine all the typing and 2 extra photos gone- only the title above the silhouettes- boring- but even that would have made a better cover because it would have had a touch of class and mystery.

I recently wrote to the Henson company, complimenting them on Columbia's box set of DC and Labyrinth- it's another sign of great promotion, even if it was just for a quick buck. I also recommended that they release the entire Fraggle Rock series on dvd. Now, granted this is only in my dream, but we could go the cheezy route with clip art and Best Of episodes (a whopping 2 or 3 per dvd) or... if we had brains...

We could release the full series, compacted -jam packed- onto only a few dvds, with an extra dvd that contains every episode of the Fraggle Rock animated series. I suggested they release the dvds in a case that is shaped and colored, and looks for all purposes like a real rock. Perhaps it could be foamy or spongy, but durable- I'm kind of thinking of that "Evil Dead" latex cover, but with dents, the appearance of holes... and nothing else on the rock, unless "Fraggle Rock" must be engraved into it.

My feeling is that everything that is missing from the new Muppet material (films, tv) is also missing from the marketing... a sense of naturalism, effort, dignity, appeal to grown ups and collectors.

It's the difference between Tri-Star releasing dvds with widescreen on one side and full screen on the other... and Disney releasing full screen only. It's the difference between releasing only a few songs from the Muppet soundtracks onto a hits compilation, (when a hits compilation should be reserved for the hundreds of Muppet Show songs that have not been available since the 70's or ever) and releasing each soundtrack in remastered glory, maybe with bonus material or demos and original GOOD artwork. It's the difference between being a notch above the rest and being a caterer to Happy Meal kids.

P.S. I still want that Electric Mayhem double disc of hits and newly recorded songs (so would rock lovers and muppet fans everywhere)

MrTheFrog

Reaction score
Well said. I couldn't agree more. Love the Rock-like Fraggle Boxed set idea.
-Artie

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you and posted the same sort of rant last year when the DVD covers were released. Some people actually liked the new cover art. It is not just due to the computer age, I believe much of it has to do with Henson's unsure times at the moment. They may not have spare cash to arrange a shoot or hire an artist to draw a cover.

I do enjoy the Muppets From Space posters. They were masterfully done. I especially liked the display in the theaters where they had more characters on additional layers of cardboard. Wish I had it. Someone stole the Pepe from the theater by my apartment.

These current projects are certainly lacking. The image they are using for the CD is the new cover for The Muppets Take Manhattan DVD! I know that new releases have to have a visual hook different than the original, but I wish they'd at least feature the original poster artwork on the inside booklet/leaflet.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Wow, Petrie--didn't know anyone else cared quite so much about this...I agree with you though--if you compare the artwork, especially for the Muppet Movie--there's a poster with the WHOLE gang basically piled into a car--that's how I always remember it. If you look at all of the care and artistry and detail put into that--I don't know why they just wouldn't use THAT as the cover art for these pieces. The Muppets are all about design--the work of Jim Henson, Michael Frith, and others ought to be remembered, not disregarded in favor of some clip art.

Quinnnnnnnnnnn

beaker

Reaction score
Im mixed on this...while I loved the newer MTM dvd art cover better than the original...and liked the MFS poster...some things, like the fraud Dark Crystal poster just is too cool to replace.

Im one of those few who dislike th eold school broadway vaudville look of old muppet stuff...but even I will admit the Muppet movie dvd cover art looked cheap and put together.

Computer age? Disaffected misanthropic blah age? Whatever it is...something needs to give soon. 2003 Ive said for years will be the glorious re-emergence of the Muppets...1989 was th elast great Muppet heyday, and its been 12 years to long.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I would just like to repeat that i hate that new MTM cover, the orginal isn't that great, but the new MTM photo is also on the back of the MFS CD case.

it got fozzie wearing something he has never wore in his life! and it only has kermit,piggy,fozzie,gonzo and animal.

they could have done something with rizzo in there it is the movie that made him...him, i guess,
i would have liked the photo they have on the back as it's cover with the muppets in there "together again outifts" that's "really" from the movie.