All of Captain Scarlet

Starchamberfall

Reaction score
On Veoh, you can see what seems to be the entire run of the original Captain Scarlet:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v20804082W7KZnkeA

Despite (not entirely unwarranted) negative comments on MC about other Gerry Anderson marionette shows, this one is the king of puppetry on TV to date.

This on TV was the best part of being born in the sixties...in Canada.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I prefer "Thunderbirds" myself.I liked the caricatureness of them, whereas "Scarlet" was too realistic for me.

Starchamberfall

Reaction score
Your icon is so...wild, muppetperson! What's the idea? I think it's great. Pardon my bumptiousness, and possible ignorance.

p.s. Stingray was neat, too. There's something about puppets under water...and of course under pressure!

muppetperson

Reaction score
Your icon is so...wild, muppetperson! What's the idea? I think it's great. Pardon my bumptiousness, and possible ignorance.

p.s. Stingray was neat, too. There's something about puppets under water...and of course under pressure!
That is me...as a Muppet person!!Ha Ha.
Yeah, Gerry Anderson put a lot of effort and details into his shows.Loved the gold fish swimming around in the underwater scenes.

Starchamberfall

Reaction score
That is me...as a Muppet person!!Ha Ha.
Wow!

I had a Thunderbirds action figure or two in the nineties: I still miss them.
Such brio with those shows, so much heart on the part of the creators that it all became a living thing.

I can understand your preference for Thunderbirds.

Captain Scarlet: the drama, the realism; even when nothing was being said you had a sense something was happening, the puppets' faces were so eloquent. And of course the score was smashing.

The mystery for me has always been why Space: 1999 didn't build on Captain Scarlet. It seemed they wanted theatrical style acting and pacing (musing, a low-intensity feel, room for humanity's questions) along with science fiction and it....sometimes worked.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I guess with "Space 1999",they wanted to do something different and it was further down the track.Working with real people, they give their own interpretations.Look at the real people "Thunderbirds"!! I guess in hindsight, after seeing that, you wonder why they didnt make a live action Captain Scarlet but I suppose they werent thinking that at the time.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
Despite (not entirely unwarranted) negative comments on MC about other Gerry Anderson marionette shows, this one is the king of puppetry on TV to date.
Why MC forum don't like Gerry Anderson? I love Gerry Anderson's work. "Stingray" is my fave.

Starchamberfall

Reaction score
I was very surprised the first time I heard someone say they didn't like this or that by G. Anderson here on MC, but when I thought about it, I realised not everyone will be able to see the forest for the trees, that is to say the style of puppetry.

Evidently, there is a huge amount to admire in those shows.