Alligator King

hgratt

Reaction score
Who sang "The Alligator King"? I've posted on the USENET with only some possible answers being given - nothing definitive.

It sounds a little like Burl Ives, but I can't verify this.

Thanks,
Harvey

rjschex

Reaction score
hgratt said:
Who sang "The Alligator King"? I've posted on the USENET with only some possible answers being given - nothing definitive.

It sounds a little like Burl Ives, but I can't verify this.
I'm pretty certain it was Joe Raposo.

ssetta

Reaction score
I believe it was William "Bud" Luckey who sang it. It definitely was not Burl Ives. It's interesting you thought that, because I know someone who always thought that "Infinity Song (That's About the Size)" was sung by Burl Ives, and that it wasn't originally a Sesame Street song, but that's not true.

hgratt

Reaction score
I tried searching on Joe Raposa and found the following site which implies it's his song:

http://www.angelfire.com/space/collect/Raposo.html

I also found where Donald Hadley/William Luckey are credited with the music and lyrics.

I'm still not 100% sure since I can't find a site that has a voice sample of the song along with a singer.

Based on the music and lyrics being credited to Donald Hadley/William Luckey, it does appear that Raposa may be the singer as implied on the above website.

I can't believe that its this hard to definitively pin done the singer.

BTW, I think Ives did appear on Sesame street and when I listened to some sound clips of his on AMAZON, he sounded very much like the singer of "Alligator King"

Thanks,
Harvey

Mark The Shark

Reaction score
hgratt said:
I tried searching on Joe Raposa and found the following site which implies it's his song:

http://www.angelfire.com/space/collect/Raposo.html

I also found where Donald Hadley/William Luckey are credited with the music and lyrics.

I'm still not 100% sure since I can't find a site that has a voice sample of the song along with a singer.

Based on the music and lyrics being credited to Donald Hadley/William Luckey, it does appear that Raposa may be the singer as implied on the above website.

I can't believe that its this hard to definitively pin done the singer.

BTW, I think Ives did appear on Sesame street and when I listened to some sound clips of his on AMAZON, he sounded very much like the singer of "Alligator King"

Thanks,
Harvey
A friend (who is an animation buff and professional cartoonist) told me the singer of "The Alligator King" is Jack Sheldon, the jazz singer and musician who sang several "Schoolhouse Rock" songs, including "Conjunction Junction," "Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla," and others. Other folks here and at alt.tv.sesame-street seem to not agree with this, but I still don't know for sure. But though a case could be made for Luckey and maybe even Ives (it vaguely sounds sort of like him, but I don't know of Burl Ives being involved with any SS stuff), I still think it's Jack Sheldon. But certainly, someone somewhere must know for sure. And if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

gbrobeck

Reaction score
I have it on good authority (I asked someone who works at Sesame Workshop) that Jim Kweskin did the vocals for "Alligator King".

Greg

KennyT

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find pictures from the Alligator King. I loved that sketch.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
:sing:
One two three four five six seven!
Said the Alligator King to his seven sons,
"I'm feelin' mighty down.
Whichever of you can cheer me up
Will get to wear my crown."

His first son brought seven oyster pearls
From the bottom of the China Sea.

The second gave him seven statues of girls
With clocks where their stomachs should be.

The third son gave him seven rubies
From the sheikdom Down There Beneath.
The King thought the rubies were cherries,
And he broke off seven of his teeth.

The fourth son tried to cheer him up
With seven lemon drops.
The King said, "I'm sorry son,
Since that ruby episode, I just haven't got the chops."

The fifth son brought the King perfume
In seven fancy silver jars;
The King took a whiff, and he broke out in spots
'Cause it smelled like cheap cigars.

The sixth son gave him seven diamond rings
To wear upon his toes.
The King snagged his foot on the royal red rug
And crumpled up his nose.

The seventh son of the Alligator King
Was a thoughtful little whelp.
He said, "Daddy, appears to me
That you could use a little help."

Said the Alligator King to his seventh son,
"My son, you win the crown.
You didn't bring me diamonds or rubies, but
You helped me up when I was down.
Take the crown; it's yours, my son.
I hope you don't mind the dents.
I got it on sale at a discount store-
Cost me all of seven cents!"
Seven! :cool:

salemfan

Reaction score
The Sesame Street Lyrics Archive said the song was written by William Luckey and Donald Hadley. But who wrote the song, "Martian Beauty"?