Allistar Cookie's pipe

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was reading at Muppet Wiki that in the earlier Monsterpiece Theater skecthes, Allistar Cookie had a pipe in his mouth, and at the end of the skits, he ate the pipe, but then he eventually stopped having a pipe, possibly out of fear that it was making kids want to smoke. Now, I remember seeing him with a pipe, but don't ever remember seeing him eat the pipe. Which Monsterpeice Theater skits had Allistar holding a pipe? Sesame Workshop stop including these skits in new episodes after they stopepd having him with a pipe?

I don't ever remember seeing Upstairs, Downstairs or Me, Claudius, so if certain skits were no longer shown because of the pipe, then it would make sense that I haven't seen them (though I would think Me, Claudius would have stopped being shown because it has Elmo with a different voice). Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting has a clip from a Monsterpiece Theater skit that I haven't seen anywhere else, in which the set is bright green instead of brown. I guess this was an early set, and if a pipe can't be associated with the skits, then these probably couldn't be shown. There are also a lot of Monsterpiece Theater skits that I really liked that I haven't seen in a long time, like Charots of Fur and The Taming of the Shoe. Was there a pipe in these?

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
I think this is a big reason why you never see Pink Panther cartoons anymore either. He always had a cigarette. (sp?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqWNkbbOeko

see? Good cartoon.

I also think this is why The Great Mouse Detective is not on dvd (or at least I dont think it is...) they smoke a lot in that movie, bad guys and good guys, and too much to edit out. Also a good movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkFDFFA8hRE

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
I think it also became a law that cartoon characters are not allowed to smoke anymore, you never see it. Also Camel on the packs of cigarettes was no longer allowed to be a friendly cartoon, just realistic picture. (remember Joe Camel?) I think this was one of the major focuses, because he sold them.

and no- I dont smoke.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It's funny because sesame street had used made use of pipe's lately when ever they tell the story of Old King Cole. Of course it was used for blowing bubbles, but I can't help but wonder he this story is next to go?

Java

Reaction score
I think I remember seeing him eat the pipe a few times but I couldn't tell you which skits these were.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
He did with the Upstairs,Downstairs one and I think also with the Me Claudius. I don't know about the others.

Grover

Reaction score
They use to show Pink Panther cartoons on Boomerang with his ciggarette.

Censored

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I was reading at Muppet Wiki that in the earlier Monsterpiece Theater skecthes, Allistar Cookie had a pipe in his mouth, and at the end of the skits, he ate the pipe, but then he eventually stopped having a pipe, possibly out of fear that it was making kids want to smoke.
Either that or they were afraid it would make kids want to chew tobacco.