Aloysius Snuffleupagus

superboober

Reaction score
Roughly when was Snuffleupagus's first name revealed, and has it ever been explicitly stated why "Aloysius" was chosen?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I'm sure there's no particualer reason why the chose that name. Otherwise I can't remember exactly when it was first mentioned.

BEAR

Reaction score
They probably just chose it because it was a silly name. Interesting that they would give him such a difficult and weird first name with his already difficult to pronounce last name. Haha! They have not used his first name much as I recall. Especially not now. Notice how his name is Aloysius and his sister's name is Alice. They have similar names.

nickcoffee12

Reaction score
yes i rember his puppet gus i would like to see the puppet again maby next sesason 28

Erine81981

Reaction score
I do remember Gus! It's been a long time since we've seen Gus.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Wow- I had totally forgotten about Gus, but now that someone brought it up, he does sound vaguely familiar ("vaguely familiar"-:concern: )
Does anyone have any pictures, sounds or video clips, or other descriptions to help refresh my memory?

SesameStreetFan

Reaction score
Gus was around from the early 80's to the early 90's. The last time I saw him on there was 1993, right before The Around the Corner garbage started and they introduced all those new charachters and took a lot of the focus off the older ones. I remember an episode from 1991 when Big Bird and Snuffy got in a big argument because of Gus, similar to how Elmo is with Zoe's pet Rocco now. But Snuffy felt the same exact way in this episode about Big Bird's teddy bear Radar, and they were so mad at each other that said they weren't gonna be best friends anymore. I think Oscar was the one who originally got the fight started. He wasn't seen in the same take with Big Bird, but somehow it was some prank he pulled that got the fight started. I think he had something delivered to Big Bird's nest that Big Bird wasn't expecting, not sure how that would start a fight between him and Snuffy but somehow it did. Anyways I think this was the only episode when Big Bird and Snuffy had a fight that intense. This same type of storyline has been seen with best friends on a lot of TV shows over the years.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
superboober said:
Roughly when was Snuffleupagus's first name revealed, and has it ever been explicitly stated why "Aloysius" was chosen?
I don't know exactly. But I remember the first time I heard it. Snuffy was showing Gordon and Linda his "Snuffleupa-bus." The driver called him Aloysius and everybody on the bus called him "Chubby." Then after all that, Gordon and Linda missed their own bus. I realize that doesn't really answer the question, but I thought I'd bring that up.