Alphabet Ace Questions

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, don't know who this character is. Any and all information regarding him, whether it was a Muppet or cartoon character, and info on the sketches featuring him will be welcome.
Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
As I recall, he was an unseen character. At least for most of the series. They may have had him show up at some point that I didn't see. Periodically, someone on the street would look up and say "Look! It's Alphabet Ace!" and they would all look up and the shot would change to an airplane skywriter spelling out the letter of the day.

Xerus

Reaction score
Sometimes, his plane would dump him and Alphabet Ace would parachute down onto the street and meet the gang. He was a live human with a mustache and was wearing a brown pilot suit with a matching flaps hat. And he would speak French. Whenever Ace landed on the street, the gang would ask what letter he was going to make since he didn't get the chance to because of his malfunctioning plane. Since Ace spoke French, he would reply by pretending his hand was a plane and tracing the letter.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Xerus. So, Alphabet Ace was a human character eh? Well then, he'll get added to the list. If you have an episode on tape or in your collection with Alphabet Ace, please look for him in the credits and post the name of the actor who portrayed him on Sesame.
Thanks and have a good night.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
His name is actually Alphabet Bates. I've seen him in one of Little Golden Books's "Sesame Street Book" video series in illustrated form, and Big Bird calls him "Alphabet Bates".

SesameMike

Reaction score
I remember him as Alphabet Bates. I don't recall seeing him, himself; just member of the human cast looking up in the sky as we saw is aeronautical calligraphy. Don't recall seeing him beyond about 1973, though.

Xerus

Reaction score
The Count said:
Thanks Xerus. So, Alphabet Ace was a human character eh? Well then, he'll get added to the list. If you have an episode on tape or in your collection with Alphabet Ace, please look for him in the credits and post the name of the actor who portrayed him on Sesame.
Thanks and have a good night.
I haven't seen him yet on my new tapes, but if I do, I'll let you know.

And I didn't know he was really called Alphabet Bates. I must've misheard it a long time ago.