Alphabet Chat Thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread about the recurring segment Alphabet Chat, hosted by Mr. Chatterly. It seems like only a handful of segments were made; known segments involve the letters O, R, L, B, and H. Like Alistair Cookie, Mr. Chatterly is one of the few Sesame Street Muppets to smoke a pipe (I think I saw smoke come out of it in the O sketch).

I read on the Muppet Wiki page for Character Style Guides that Mr. Chatterly was in the 1979 style guide, so it's known that he was around as far back as 1979. I have a feeling he was around earlier than season 11 (somehow I don't think a minor character could be introduced and included in a style guide in the same year). My guess is that the segments debuted in season ten.

Sesamestreet.org has the B, H, and O segments, and I just found the R segment on YouTube. The earliest ones had behind-the-scenes action, while later ones don't even though characters still tend to interrupt the show. I like the ones with the "behind-the-scenes" action better. I think my favorite is the O segment.

It seems like Gladys managed to make cameos in most of these.

In a way it seems like this series of sketches is underrated. Often when I think up (or post) my own wishlists for Sesame Street DVDs I rarely think to include Alphabet Chat, and often if I'm thinking up an idea for a collectible Sesame Street DVD I try to get as many recurring characters and sketches included as possible.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I loved the Alphabet Chats when i was a kid. There were only a few of them. Then in the early 90's when Jerry Nelson was doing a lot on Sesame (probably to overcompensate for the losses of Jim and Richard plus Frank's limited availability) many Jerry characters that hadn't been seen in a while were reappearing and i was overjoyed to see them doing new Alphabet Chats!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I loved the Alphabet Chats when i was a kid. There were only a few of them. Then in the early 90's when Jerry Nelson was doing a lot on Sesame (probably to overcompensate for the losses of Jim and Richard plus Frank's limited availability) many Jerry characters that hadn't been seen in a while were reappearing and i was overjoyed to see them doing new Alphabet Chats!
Or maybe it was to overcompensate for the time Jerry spent working on Fraggle Rock (since he did perform the star of that series).