Alphabet Chat

paulyw

Reaction score
I remember this alphabet chat. This puppet with bright colored hair and glasses (can't remember his name, and I think Frank Oz did the voice) will talk about a certain letter of the alphebet, and he would always be interupted by someone, and he would get angry. One time he was talkng about the letter "R" and he said some words that would begin with that letter, and one word was radiator, and two men brought in a radiator, and he said he didn't order it and they put it right in front of him. I remember other letters of the alphabet he talked about as well. :frown: :stick_out_tongue:

wiley207

Reaction score
Actually, Lord Chatterly, the host of Alphabet Chat, was performed by Jerry Nelson, like many Large Lavender Live-Hand Anything Muppet characters (The Count, The Amazing Mumford, Biff the Construction Worker, etc.) A long-time Muppet fan soon gets to recognize most of the Muppeteer voices. In the 70s, most Alphabet Chat skits started with a TV crew preparing everything while Chatterly was facing away from the camera in his chair. And then a woman (usually performed By Frank "Miss Piggy" Oz) would announce ready on the set and to "Cue music!" Then she'd run off camera and the theme would begin, which was an amusing variation of the alphabet song, sung by Richard Hunt and Jerry Nelson. It was like, "A B C, D, E F G, C D E, F, G..." Chatterly would try to talk about the letter of the day in his Alphabet Chat, but several things would interrupt it. In the "R" segment, Guy Smiley appeared to advertise some dog food (and yes, this was definitely Guy Smiley since Jim Henson performed him!) The "R" one is my favorite, especially since Guy Smiley comes to "help" ruin everything.