alphabet plots

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Before the big format change of 2002, where there ever any episode sof Sesame Street that focused on the alphabet? I would imagine that it would be hard to pick just one, two, or three letters to sponsor an episode about the entire alphabet.

ISNorden

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Before the big format change of 2002, were there ever any episodes of Sesame Street that focused on the alphabet? I would imagine that it would be hard to pick just one, two, or three letters to sponsor an episode about the entire alphabet.
If you mean "included the whole alphabet as part of the street story", I've personally seen two such episodes (both of which predate "Elmo's World", let alone the format change):

* The Season 4 premiere had various residents (humans and Muppets) introduce themselves by name, in alphabetical order; the only problem was that no one whose name began with Z could be found. (Too bad the Zizzy Zoomers couldn't have been used!)

* An episode with some character on the street (I forget who) going on an alphabet scavenger hunt; he/she was supposed to find an item for every letter, although the neighbors did cheat near the end when they tried to help. Two items that stood out: the hunter accepted a bucket of "Goo" from Grungetta as a "G" item, and a "Note" from Maria which ended "Now you have something that starts with the letter 'N'." A winged Rosita (offering herself as the "R" item) appeared near the end, so this episode probably first aired in the early to mid-1990s.

Do either of those episodes sound like what you're looking for?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
ISNorden said:
If you mean "included the whole alphabet as part of the street story", I've personally seen two such episodes (both of which predate "Elmo's World", let alone the format change):

* The Season 4 premiere had various residents (humans and Muppets) introduce themselves by name, in alphabetical order; the only problem was that no one whose name began with Z could be found. (Too bad the Zizzy Zoomers couldn't have been used!)

* An episode with some character on the street (I forget who) going on an alphabet scavenger hunt; he/she was supposed to find an item for every letter, although the neighbors did cheat near the end when they tried to help. Two items that stood out: the hunter accepted a bucket of "Goo" from Grungetta as a "G" item, and a "Note" from Maria which ended "Now you have something that starts with the letter 'N'." A winged Rosita (offering herself as the "R" item) appeared near the end, so this episode probably first aired in the early to mid-1990s.

Do either of those episodes sound like what you're looking for?
I already knew about the first one you mentioned. I wasn't really talking about episodes that only had one street scene involving the whole alphabet, but the second description is what I was asking about. Do you remember what letters sponsored that episode (or was it sponsored by every letter, like Learning About Letters was)?

ISNorden

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I already knew about the first one you mentioned. I wasn't really talking about episodes that only had one street scene involving the whole alphabet, but the second description is what I was asking about. Do you remember what letters sponsored that episode (or was it sponsored by every letter, like Learning About Letters was)?
I forget the sponsors of that episode, but I'm positive that it had the usual two letters/one number (usual for that time, at least). Only direct-to-video releases that teach nothing BUT letters have ever been sponsored by the whole alphabet; no regular episode has.