Am I the only one who didn't like the Calypso Theme Song?

SSLFan

Reaction score
You can see it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYV8EZRhCJU

But I think it's funny how Sally bashes that theme, and you know what? She's right! I don't particularly enjoy that version of the opening theme.

It seems like the producers just wanted to "get with the times." During this era, they were trying to make it look cool and current, but instead, it just turns out embarrassing. Even if it has a lot of Muppets, it doesn't particularly help. Big Bird's the only one fit well for the opening, in my opinion. :rolleyes:

Another thing that makes it dumb is the use of all those animated elements, such as water splashes, a monkey on a vine, fake-looking static, and that blue bird that follows the gang at the end.

At first glance, it doesn't even sound like a Sesame Street theme! The calypso-type music doesn't fit well, either. If they were going to the Carribean Islands and they had a special opening sequence for those episodes, THEN that theme would fit!

This opening unfortunately appeared on every episode during the "Around the Corner" years, which was pretty awkward itself. However, the theme debuted on Season 24, which was a pretty good season actually, despite the opening and closing used.

I am SO glad that starting in 1998 they switched back to the old theme and went back to just showing Big Bird and the kids in Central Park. Even in 2002 when they added Super Grover to the beginning, they continued using the old theme.

Is there anybody else who didn't like that calypso opening, or am I the only one?
The 90's opening was OK. So was AtC. I can't really comment since I grew up with the stuff!:smile: But, if that's your opinion, so be it. But, Sesame Street has always been the No. 1 show for me, despite any of the shows changes. Besides, they were just trying to stay with the times. It was the 90's !

SSLFan

Reaction score
This is really getting annoying

Oh I hated when they changed the theme. I was 6 when the theme, set, and some characters changed. A lot of the "classic" feel I was used to started slipping away. That's why I have mixed feelings regarding the "Around the Corner" years.
Is there some type of border between the "Classic years" and "Around the Corner" years that I'm missing here? I mean, come on people!:mad: This is really starting to **** me off! Just because it may not have been the show you grew up with as a child doesn't mean you don't have to bash today's genaration! Sesame Street has still been the fun loving street it always was for these past 40 years.
Big Bird still lives in his nest, Oscar still lives in a trash can, the 123 building still houses the homes of Bert and Ernie, Maria and Louis and Gordon and Susan! Hooper's store is still there and the Fix - It Shop! Honestly people, we can't live in the past! Just like kids 20 years from now kids will be talking about their Elmo- filled years as the "Classic years." Times have changed.:cry: It's very sad but it's true.

p.s. HeyButtahfly, I'm not really fussing at you. It's just that stuff like this has been bought up so many times!:crazy: It's crazy and fustrating! I just don't get it.

JLG

Reaction score
I was still keeping tabs on Sesame Street at the tender age of 9 when the calypso theme started. I had a mixed reaction to it--a big part of my personality is that I've ALWAYS had a hard time dealing with change, so this was a rude surpise. Still, I remember thinking the new intro made a lot more sense than the old ones had, since it showed Muppets---generally the old ones showed just kids in random locations (with an occasional Bird joining them). So I liked that part. The music I was lukewarm about. Uncharacteristically for me, though, I felt like it was probably time for a change, since I was aware of how long the show had been around.
Revisiting that theme now, I genuinely like it. (It's just so darn cheerful. :smile: ) But I agree that it feels a bit unecessary. The original arrangement was much more universal, so to my mind it feels more inclusive than their 1992 attempt at modernizing.
As for Around the Corner, it didn't bother me in particular. I actually found it interesting. One thing I can't believe, though, is that somehow it completely escaped me that Big Bird's nest was "opened up". Recently I saw that pointed out on here, and then saw it in a YouTube posting of "Elmo Saves Christmas". I don't how how I managed to not notice that change at the time--it's not very subtle.

I've said this before somewhere, but what they've done on the set recently weirds me out---Recently they replaced the old painted backdrop of the view looking down the street with the side of a big brick building, with some ivy growing on it. It's almost as if the Furry Arms Hotel area was demolished and a big apartment building was put up where it had been. But the other thing is that this new layout makes Sesame Street more like Sesame Courtyard. Where's the street? It's like a little enclave, now. (Imagine you're driving down Fifth Avenue and suddenly you run up against this big apartment building planted smack dab in the middle of the street. If we take these set changes literally, that's exactly what happened. :big_grin: )

wiley207

Reaction score

Drtooth

Reaction score
I will say I like the Calypos theme much more than the hip hop theme. The new one is just WAAAAAY too overly hip with the visuals and everything.

I do say the one thing I liked about the Calypso theme is that it featured every single character in the opening, and not just a bunch of kids playing and Big Bird coming up.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I can't really judge a new theme before hearing it. Obviously if I had my way, it would never have changed, lol. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Hip Hop isn't necessarily bad, I think it can be very good. But other times it isn't and it's associated with negative things. ::shrugs:: Again, I'd have to actually hear it. I'll get back to you lol

somethingofafan

Reaction score
The nightmare has come true...
At least it's not as bad as I had feared...At least you can recognize the tune (once they actually get to the tune). At first I didn't really like it, but after hearing it a few times, it's starting to grow on me.

somethingofafan

Reaction score
It's hip, it's now, it's starting to grow on me.

And thank goodness they waited until the heavy metal era was over before making anything hip and now.

Now that I listen to it, it doesn't really veer any further away from the melody than the classic harmonica theme did.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What happened to the street everyone knew and love? Will it ever be the same again?:cry:
Irony? Today's episode (not kidding) had NO ELMO'S WORLD and recurring small street segments interspearced throughout the hour. Either they're getting the hint, or something hit me hard on the head last night and I imagined the whole thing.

And thank goodness they waited until the heavy metal era was over before making anything hip and now.
Am I the only one that thinks a metal SS opening would be absolutely great? Scare the crap out of the 2 year olds, but it would seriously be great.

You know what I want to hear? Weird Al Yankovic record a polka cover of the SS theme song and using that for a year.-

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Actually I agree, a heavy metal theme would have been cool! Lol