1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Am I the only one who HATES what they have done to Fozzie's puppet?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by toadster101, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Absolutely. There's something about when things keep going advance, it takes away the imperfections that give something a little personality. It's no one's fault, it's just something that progresses naturally.

For the longest time I had some trouble with digital animation. Not Flash or Toon Boom, I'm talking when cartoon shows were colored on computers instead of cels. I think the problem was that some studios did it right, and some were on a learning curve. They didn't seem to have the warmness or the unique look of what cels could do. Then of course I quickly got over it. It was a great advance for television animation, and after the muddy looking hiccups, this freed up fuller animation and a cleaner look. I still miss cels to an extent. These things just happen over time.

Though I will say that next time these characters are due for a rebuild, they need to go back and look at some of the 80's character models.

Mo Frackle likes this.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

He only knows one opinion: his own. Anybody who doesn't agree with it is an "uneducated jerk who's wrong." This is like the second time this has come up in this thread.

muppetgem and Ladywarrior like this.
  3. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

fozzie's new puppet has creepy cheeks, that's about all I can say about this.

4. Iscah

Iscah Active Member

If the puppet has glitter that might come off, they'd want to keep other puppets away from it so they don't end up glittery too!

I tried to read your post, but that font is very hard to read comfortably.

5. D'Snowth

I apologize for that; I wanted something that looked like hand writing to go along with the theme I designed to give it the look of a notebook.

6. 123Sunny

123Sunny Active Member

I agree, the Muppet's gotta have their signature look, but they gotta have the unique personality as well. Though I wouldn't call it stupid :(

Duke Remington likes this.
  7. Ladywarrior

Kermit's green is a bit too bright in my honest opinion but I try to ignore it for the most part.

KermieBaby47 likes this.
  8. D'Snowth

Kermit's been this shade of green for quite some time.

9. Ladywarrior

I might just have an eye problem. I am not good at noticing details very well unless it comes to noticing jim henson's arm when he did puppeteering work for dr. teeth. After all teeth was his most energetic character. XD

10. D'Snowth

The 2005 Grover took a while to get used to: I didn't mind that he was a little shaggier than he was previously, it was how they repositioned his eyes, tilting them more downward, giving him kind of a sad-looking face.

11. D'Snowth

Y'know, it's not just puppets, adn it's not just animation, there's plenty of advances in technology that many people aren't too fond of: music is perhaps one of the biggest ones there is - I've noticed a lot of people (particularly older people) say the same thing about music having losts its "warmth" since we've gone with digital technology, from CDs to MP3s and digital albums - they say the "warmth" of the music came from the static and bumps and scratches you heard coming from the record player. Heck, some people out there say the "warmth" of home video is lost on DVD and Blu-ray, with some saying they miss that fuzz and noise that came with VHS (that I can certainly live without). There's an interview with John R. Dilworth (the creator of COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG, and the artist behind those NOODLES & NEDD shorts on SST) on YouTube where he and the interviewer both expressed how much they miss the days of where sound effects in cartoons were recorded in airport hangers, giving an obvious echo and distortion to the sound.

12. Ladywarrior

well I can say I don't miss recording music on cassette tapes off the radio and picking up other radio signals in the process. That was soooo annoying.

13. D'Snowth

Lol, I'm of the CD generation, so I didn't have to put up with that, lol. Now, when it comes to downloading and burning music onto CDs, there's the issue of making sure you get decent-quality recordings of the songs, sometimes you'll get low-quality, muffled, tinny, recordings from being compressed.

14. Yes the thing that bothers me the most about Fozzie is the excess fur on the corner of his lips. It looks like they just forgot to cut it. Also Floyd has looked rough for a while. I haven't like the look of him since 2008. He use to look really cool and lanky, now his face is too circular. Matt is a very talented performer but Floyd is the only Muppet that he hasn't nailed. His singing and speaking voice sounds very different from Nelson's.

15. D'Snowth

Well, no two puppeteers are going to sound exactly like each other (though Drew Massey can sound remarkably a lot like David Rudman), and Jerry Nelson had a really incredible range of voices that it'll be near-impossible for anybody, try as they might, to sound exactly like him; I, personally, feel Matt's done an excellent job with not just Floyd, but all of Jerry's characters. Likewise, Matt may not sound just like Caroll Spinney as Big Bird, but at least he'll be inheriting Big Bird, thus keeping him alive.

I will confess, however, that I thought of all the performers that have done Scooter since Richard Hunt's passing, Rickey Boyd is the one who's sounded closest to Richard, but it makes since that David's doing Richard's characters now, considering David was like Richard's protege - plus it's nice to see David performing outside SST again.

16. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

What happened to Fozzie's body in the Crumpet ad? Doesn't look much bigger than Kermit's body !!

17. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

He also looked a bit like a cross between his current design and his previous design.

18. D'Snowth

Another Sesame Muppet I feel has perhaps suffered from the perfecting of puppet building is Mr. Johnson - and he's an AM. He used to have smaller eyes (that I'm pretty sure Grover once called "beady"), but since the 2000s his eyes have been noticably larger (and I know Grover's remarked about how "bulgy" they are), which somehow makes him look as if he's had one too many amphetamines as a result of all the torment he's suffered from Grover's mere existence.

19. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I also liked how him and the other AMs used to look a bit fuzzier.

20. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

Oh PUH-LEASE, Fozzie's puppet before this current one was the ugliest besides season 1's. And really? Complaining about how puppets look too clean and perfect? We're in a day in technology in TV has gotten to the point where you can count the pores on people's noses.