1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Am I the only one who HATES what they have done to Fozzie's puppet?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by toadster101, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I also really don't like that Elmo puppet SST has been using the past couple of years, it's head is too wide and he looks like a beaver:

[​IMG]

And another thing,they can't make up they're mind about which Elmo puppet to use. it looks like they've been using like six different puppets and all of them look very different from each other .

HunterPeeples likes this.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Well we know that have several different Elmo puppets that they use, it could very well be they just pick up whichever they can grab and use it for whatever they're currently filming.

3. Pig's Laundry

But I wonder why the inconsistency is so recent,around 2011 and earlier they pretty much always used the same Elmo puppet unless he was in a costume or something.

4. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

One puppet that looks off is the German Prairie Dawn it looks like Prairie & Betty Lou mixed into together.

5. D'Snowth

I have to bump this thread again, because I see that it's not just the Muppets that have been affected by this, but the Krofft Puppets as well.

Now, granted, the Krofft Puppets have never exactly been as spectacular as the Muppets, mainly because the Kroffts themselves have admitted that, unlike Jim, they were never interested in the artistic possibilities of puppetry, and always went for the commercial value: their shows were always done on incredibly small budgets, and as such, their puppets were put together with chewing gum almost. Of course, however, given low-budget was always their look, and as such, it's easy to identify trippy full-bodied puppets as theirs: highly visible seams, mouths that don't lip sync properly, and googly eyes that have no focus. But, as I said, it was their look, and as such, that's pretty much what you come to expect from the Kroffts.

But . . . heh . . . even the Krofft Puppets now have a really "advanced" look to them, so much so that they don't even look like Krofft Puppets at all! Take a look at a couple of comparisons:

Here's what Krofft talking trees looked like back in the days of H.R. PUFNSTUF:
    [​IMG]
    Compared to a pair of talking trees (named Sid and Marty) that recently showed up on MUTT N STUFF:
    [​IMG]

Another example? Remember SIGMUND AND THE SEA MONSTERS? That show's recently been rebooted (dumped straight to Amazon); remember his two meathead brothers, Blurp and Slurp?
    [​IMG]
    Take a look at them now:
    [​IMG]

Quite a stark contrast from the Kroffts' hey day in the 70s and 80s.

6. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Great to know those guys were given more of a budget. They really do look closer to Muppet designs now.

7. Pig's Laundry

Definitely a huge improvement. But i'm definitely going to have nightmares about that Blurp and Slurp gif.

D'Snowth likes this.
  8. D'Snowth

While I can agree with the sentiment that it's amazing what the Krofft can achieve when they actually have an actual budget to work with, at the same time, the puppets and suits they're churning out almost don't look like Krofft Puppets at all, but rather, like something you might come out of the Creature Shop.

Interestingly enough, they do have some Henson people working for them now: Drew Massey performs Stuff, and he and Victor Yerrid perform the two cat puppets on MUTT N STUFF.

9. ShMuppetgal96

ShMuppetgal96 Member

I'm not a fan of the new look Elmo has either...and truthfully I'm still trying to get used to Ryan's voice instead of Kevin's

10. D'Snowth

I just learned some interesting news regarding the new Krofft puppets for the Sigmund reboot: apparently, they're animatronic - I don't believe they have anybody inside them - and they're also waterproof, so that they can actually go into and come out of the water. The Krofft also made it clear they have no intentions to replace any of their traditional puppetry with CGI, which is certainly refreshing to hear in this day and age.

11. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Not to mention advancements in puppet making. Krofft's old shows have a very distinctive look, but that look didn't age too well. That's clearly the influence of Henson making bigger and more complex puppets. Henson's overall puppet output the same time these shows were airing were just much better looking (well...maybe not first and second season Sesame Street). But it's great to see these new, practical effect designs from the Kroffts. I'm loving those new Sigmund character designs.

12. Lourenzo

Lourenzo New Member

So when people say that the puppets are too cute/perfect what do they mean? Are there skin/fur colors too bright? Are there eyes too round?

13. D'Snowth

Basically what we've been saying in this thread, they look too "perfect," they have a very flawless look to them, there hardly any noticeable imperfections such as a visible seam here and there, or somewhat crooked and assymetrical features (eyes, ears, what have you), no "roughness" like pilly fleece or slightly distressed fabric that gave them something of an edge before.

14. D'Snowth

After watching SST's Mannequin Challenge, I have to say that one thing that seemed almost glaring to me is how the current Ernie and Bert puppets look as if they were made from FAO-Schwartz Whatnots.

15. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

Right? They have such perfect- skin, for lack of a better word. They look more stuffed than shaped the way they usually are.

16. D'Snowth

[​IMG]
    It almost looks like they're sticking with the Dickensian Oscar with those sideburns, but what I really took notice of was what looks like for the first time in all these years, he has new eyebrows: they look considerably darker and thicker . . . and somehow less angry, too.

17. Pig's Laundry

Ooh, I really hope that's not the permanent puppet, I rather liked the previous one. This one looks like Oscar had a stroke.

18. D'Snowth

He actually looks friendly! Like you could walk over and give him a hug and he'd let you!

19. Pig's Laundry

That just makes it even worse!

Blue Frackle likes this.
  20. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

The one used for the recent talk it out video is appaling. Made worse by the bad puppetry trying to match Carol's voice.