Amanda Bynes is "retired" from acting at 24.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Look at how hot Betty's White carrer is right now and we're talking a woman at the ripe young age of 88, :crazy:, that really (as far as I knew) not too many people were thinking of since the Golden Girls got cancelled. If Amanda does indeed "retire" well...I guess she and all her fans never really will know what could of been.
I'd hate to think this on the part of Betty, but it really seemed she was turning into an internet meme (i.e. "SnooPING AS usual I see" "It's OVER 9000!") and that could have been why she became so popular in recent months. I really hope that isn't the case. I've always felt she was a presence. My mother watched Golden Girls all the time, and Betty and Estelle were my favorite ones. Not to mention how far back her career went. Mary Tyler Moore, right? (I'd hate to be wrong about old sitcoms) But her stardom came back in a big way, either way.

There's also maintaining the quality of her brand. At one time her name was popular to young people and it might be best to just retaire and let residuals of earlier, more successful projects roll in rather than watering down her image with sub-standard new productions. I'm sure if something good came along she'd do it. "Retiring" is a way of actors saying they're not trolling for just any and every job out there, but will come back for something special. I doubt we've heard the last of Bynes.
That's the entire problem with Hollywood. Every nasty thing ever said about Hollywood and fame aren't just true, but understatements. Things could go either way if she doesn't. She could either keep riding success after success and get choosier about the movies she's in, or she could wind up in one bad project that destroys all she's working for, leaving her constantly by the phone saying that someday it's gonna ring.

That "You'll never eat food pellets in this town again" episode of Pinky and the Brain... that's from people who were insiders. People who the network was messing with. That's as intimate as possible a portrait of what can happen. So again, maybe she's onto something.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I never really liked her. I honestly thought she already retired since she hasnt done anything recently...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I never really liked her. I honestly thought she already retired since she hasnt done anything recently...
That was the point. She felt she wasn't getting the roles she wanted, and just left in a huff. Now, I'm guessing someone gave her a role she liked and she jumped on it. Or she realized that getting a normal job is now impossible and not even worth it.