1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

American Idol

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Don'tLiveonMoon, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Don'tLiveonMoon New Member

I'm generally not too into much contemporary pop culture, and definitely not the reality TV trend, but I've been hooked on "American Idol" since the first episode of the first season. Now it's time for the second set of finalists to have their showdown. Anybody watching have a favorite? Clay intrigued me from the beginning, and he very quickly became my favorite in the competition. So genuine, so adorable, and what a voice!!! :flirt: I turn into a puddle of goo listening to him. I can't wait to go out and buy his album (I'm guessing/hoping no matter what happens he'll make one...)
    Erin
  2. sarah_yzma Active Member

i've never like american idol.....the only reality show i like is Big Brother....sure it's trashy, but during the summer you're so bored you don't care!

Sarah
  3. Sir Didymus New Member

I'm really into American Idol now. I can't wait to see who wins. I'm SO mad they got rid of Frenchie Davis! Anyone know why???

Jake
  4. frogboy4 Inactive Member

I admit to watching Idol. I was hooked half way through last season and have been fairly faithful so far. I think it's funny that people find Simon so mean. Sure, he plays it up for the camera, but that's how auditions are. It isn't the right industry for the thin-skinned. Paula's job is to soften the blow.

I kind of like Vanessa and Trenyce so far. It's tough this year because there are only about two people in the top 12 who aren't that good. Clay is technically the best singer, but he has more of a Broadway voice than a pop one. Just a bit too smooth and clean cut for the radio, but he is a fantastic singer.

I can'e believe I watch that show, but of all the reality programs, it seems to actually have a point. There's no eating bugs, there's no backstabbing - just talented kids trying to make it.

P. S. Frenchy posed in questionable photographs that leaked out onto the web. That's why she is out of the competition. It was in the rules. I agree, it's very sad she's gone. She has a powerful voice and added a lot of energy to the competition.
  5. Don'tLiveonMoon New Member

Yes, I really liked Frenchie too and was sorry to see her go. Though I'd still be rooting for Clay! (I've gone over the line of obsession here...) I agree that "American Idol" isn't like these other reality tv shows. It's all about talent, with a few other factors mixed in, but basically it depends on how well they do and how we vote. So each person just has to go out and do the best they can. And everyone is so supportive of one another. You grow to truly care about these people. I think Trenyce is extremely talented. I also really like Josh, Julia, and Ruben. I can't wait until Tuesday - I hear that they're all singing Billy Joel songs and he will be there himself. That'll be great!
    Erin
  6. Don'tLiveonMoon New Member

Oh, and I also think that Simon isn't so bad. I think he's a really nice guy at heart. But I also think that he can be unnecessarily cruel. Unfortunately, one of the most popular parts of the show is the bad auditions, and there's huge entertainment value in watching Simon lambaste these poor kids who don't make the grade. We laugh because he is so witty and they are so lousy (and I have laughed myself at many of these auditions) but we forget that these are real people too and that they've just been humiliated on national television. So I'm not crazy about that part. That's the part that makes it most in line with the other reality tv shows. I truly hope those people don't stop singing altogether, if it's what they really love, just because Simon told them they were awful. Maybe they'll never come close to a career, but it's a joy they shouldn't be denied.
    Erin
  7. Zack the Dog Active Member

I've probaly only watched 5-6 shows and not in full, I did watch the ep of the some of the singers who didn't have a chance...lol, i could not belive it! it was too funny!

I don't really care for the show though, i think there are too many out there spining off of it with marrying someone you never met, sexist person, millonars who where not really millonars, celeberties living in the jungle, who aren't really even known, the only one i knew was Robin Leech! yet i don't know anything.

It just adds to the fact that there is nothing on TV, the only new show's that i really watch is Everybody Loves Ranmond, the rest are rerun shows or cartoons they don't make anymore, just about, rules can bend...it is TV we are talking about here!

zack
  8. Super Scooter New Member

Yeah, you'd really be surprised how much crap people watch during the summer when it's all reruns. (Foz, that's your cue)

I watch Spy Kids marathons during the summer! :concern: :sympathy: :confused: :cry: :o
  9. Don'tLiveonMoon New Member

I agree that all those shows are ridiculous. I especially couldn't believe it when I heard the premises of "Joe Millionaire" and "Married By America." Argh! But "American Idol" didn't start this whole Reality TV craze. It was alive and well long before that; "Survivor" was already in its third or fourth manifestation! I don't know how much further they can take this... But at least in "American Idol" the contestants aren't stabbing each other in the back all the time.
    Erin
  10. ryhoyarbie Active Member

i've watched a few shows of american idol, but i really hate reality tv in general, so that's why i don't watch american idol every week. that and i don't really care who wins because whoever wins will be out of the singing career in a few years to about 5 years at the most. look how kelly clarkson has fadded from the spotlight, although she has a movie coming out in the next few months..ughhhh.....

ryan
  11. Don'tLiveonMoon New Member

That movie does look kinda cheesy, doesn't it? For one thing, they must have thrown it together super-fast, for another thing, Justin and Kelly are singers, not actors, and for another thing... I don't know. It just doesn't look too promising. And "A Moment Like This" was kinda a big commercial for "American Idol." When I think about that aspect, I think it might be better if Clay didn't win, so he didn't have to be bound to whatever dumb stuff Fox would make him do. I thought Tamyra should have won last time, and I think she's already done a better job of furthering her career than Kelly and Justin. By the time their albums come out -- which isn't really their fault, but again, Fox -- I think the interest will have faded for a lot of people.
    Erin
  12. electricmayhem New Member

Yes!! Clay rules! My friends and I all liked him from the very beginning too. We were so upset when he didn't make it through but knew he would come back as a wild card. It made me so happy when Simon liked him. And speaking of Simon, yeah he's mean but everyone can be pretty mean to him too sometimes. The only thing he's done that really made me upset was telling those girls they should lose weight. :mad: Anyway, my second favorite is the marine. I'm so excited to watch tonight. All my exams will be done! Are the really going to sing Billy Joel songs? That's awesome! I hope Clay sings Piano Man....:flirt: :)
  13. Don'tLiveonMoon New Member

Re: Re: American Idol

I guess I got the wrong week for Billy Joel. They will have a Billy Joel night, but tonight it's Lamont Dozier, from Motown. That should be good too, though. Yeah, I thought Simon was a little out of line with telling those girls to lose weight. But I also thought some of the people, especially the girls, had way too much attitude and should have just taken his criticism. Some people he was actually pretty nice to and they sat there and argued with him. I like Josh the Marine too. I think he'll be in the running for quite a while. I'm just so glad that Clay is in the top 12. Yay Clay!!
    Erin
  14. electricmayhem New Member

Re: Re: Re: American Idol

I know what you mean! He was complementing that one girl who would never show any expression and she was just being an idiot! Anyway, Clay did great tonight! :D
  15. Zack the Dog Active Member

Do you think Candid Camra and America's Funnest Home Video's count as reality tv?;) Those would be the only reality shows i would like to watch,lol! ohh, bring on Dom DeLuise! I loved it years ago when he hosted CC!:)

Zack)Rowlf the, member of the Dom DeLuise Fan Club, Dog.
  16. Sir Didymus New Member

I think Kimberly is going to win. She has a great voice.

Jake
  17. Fozzie Bear Moderator

Frenchie isn't missing out on anything, though. She's been on ET and other shows.

I like the show, and LOVE to hear Simon's zingers, man. When he comes up with something new that's crass and rude that is.

Usually, for reality shows, I just watch a few shows and then the last few episodes.

One show which is just dumb---downright STOOPID!---is Fear Factor. It should be called, "Dumb people eating gross things." I hate that show, and I totally loathe and despise Anna Nichole Smith!! UGH! :grouchy:

Trash TV! ALL OF IT!!
  18. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Geez, everybody was good last night. This isn't like last year! I most liked Kimberly Caldwell and Trenyce, but my fave is Vanessa. She has more personality than the others. I think Clay was technically the best singer, but I agree with Simon - he's has much more of a theatrical voice. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't gel in this context. He seems like a really great guy. All thes people have a chance to go far with or without this contest. I really can't tell who they will cut. :eek:

I agree that Fear Factor is the low point of television. There's nothing really fun about some lady eating a bug for money. Yes, it was cute to see such things in MTV challenges, but to have an entire show dedicated to it is moronic. Who watches this stuff? :concern:
  19. Super Scooter New Member

Oy! I hate Fear Factor. Ugh! Can't even think about it.

I think this expresses my feelings towards the show the best: :grouchy: :cry: :attitude: :rolleyes: :smirk:

Oh, if only Frogboy would've made a regurgitating one!
  20. Zack the Dog Active Member

How about this one?:o just kidding!

Oh and i think these too fit with fear factor:sleep: :boo: