American Idol

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Wierd - it's just a saturday night show here in the UK, you get the results an hour later. All through the week you can watch the rehearsals and auditions 24/7 on the stations sister cable channel. I would never drag it out that much in the schedule, even weekday - people would get tired of it. I think the way we do it, giving people the option to tune into the action on some minor channel whenever they want and save the main slot for the big show works better - i guess they need to establish the characters though in the states if they can't do what they do here.
That sounds like a cool way to do it. They definitely stretch it out here in the US. You have to wait a whole day to find out who won... and those poor people in the bottom three are left hanging during two or three commercial breaks. There is sooo much padding, between recaps of previous performances and embarrassing montages of the juddges and tacky comments by Ryan Seacrest and cornball product endorsement segments. Some of it is fun, but it is a bit much. I have no idea how they're going to stretch tonight's results show to one hour.
Erin

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
I would never drag it out that much in the schedule, even weekday - people would get tired of it. I think the way we do it, giving people the option to tune into the action on some minor channel whenever they want and save the main slot for the big show works better - i guess they need to establish the characters though in the states if they can't do what they do here.
You've never been to America, have you? you see, the reason why we have so many complaints about reality shows over here is because they DO drag on too much. Sometimes, even into the News broadcast of the station airing the program (here in Boston, 25, FOX, has nothing BUT stories about American Idol in the entertainment news.)

But between you and me, the US version is ... well... rigged. Have you ever seen the movie "Quiz show?" Well, it's sort of like that. One of the contestants from last season has gotten a spot on the show Boston Public (You may have the advantage of NOT having to see it there, it's such Melodramatic manipulative drivel!) as a recurring character. It's like they gave her a DEAL to lose.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The show could easily been an hour. The result show is usually about the right length of 30 minutes, but today it's going to be longer. Makes no sense. I wonder who's idea that was. None of these shows should be over an hour. Give all 11 people 3 minutes. Fits perfectly with time for judging. I could do without those tacky fluff pieces. They play them every week.

BTW.I'm sure the reason that the results show is seperate from the audition is due to the different time zones in the US. Nobody's going to be tuning in at midnight. LOL!

And, the Dixie Chicks comment was probably made because of her recent infamy about publically dissing the US President when she played a concert in Europe. She retracted the statement, but it wasn't that smart to make when most of her fans are rednecks. You know, there should be a stupidity tax. Country stations are crushing her records as we speak. It's really nonesense, but maybe it'll mean we don't have to hear them anymore. :big_grin:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
... It's like they gave her a DEAL to lose.
With her talent, it was obvious she should have won, but the viewers thought differently. I'm not sure if you watch the show, but viewers vote for the contestents (and we know how screwed up the public is or many pop stars would have no career).

Boston Public creator, David E Kelly, is not a part of Idol and has no stake in the competition. He keeps tight control over all of his creations. I think you're reaching. It's just something that you don't like. It doesn't mean there's rigging going on. She was a talented girl and is being rewarded for that in a show where singing is a plus. The other contestents...well, except for Justin and Kelly, I haven't heard a peep - and I'm not upset my that. LOL!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I think the producers do try to manipulate the voters perhaps. The way some things have been presented, it seems like they want viewers to get a certain impression of a contestant that might not be true. Like Kimberly Caldwell. I get a really bad vibe from her, but I 've read from some of her friends that there was a lot of the argument with Julia in the semi-final rounds that we didn't see, and Fox made it out to be as detrimental to Kim as possible. Maybe if I hadn't gotten that original really bad impression, I wouldn't feel so unkindly toward her now.

Tamyra was a mystery to me. I think everybody's jaw except hers dropped when she got voted off. I thought from day 1 she was going to win, and all I can think is that people didn't bother voting for her as much because they figured she had it in the bag. I don't like the two hours of voting. Talk about excessive! I like Kelly and Justin just fine, but I think Tamyra deserved to win and I'm very glad to see that she hasn't faded from view.
Erin

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I don't know their names, but the heavy black guy, the military guy, and the one black gal (in a green dress last night?) are all the best singers to me.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
I don't know their names, but the heavy black guy, the military guy, and the one black gal (in a green dress last night?) are all the best singers to me.
That's Ruben, Josh, and Kimberly Locke. I think Kimberly and Josh are good, but I think that Ruben is a whole league ahead of them. He's amazing.
Erin

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Reuben reminds me of a sandwich.

Get it?

Reuben Sandwich!?

Seriously, though---he's slick. He's so slick I'm surprised they're holding on to him this long!! (Get it?) He should be recording right now, methinx.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
And, the Dixie Chicks comment was probably made because of her recent infamy about publically dissing the US President when she played a concert in Europe. She retracted the statement, but it wasn't that smart to make when most of her fans are rednecks. You know, there should be a stupidity tax. Country stations are crushing her records as we speak.

Yeah, but I'm sure it'll blow over eventually...

It's really nonesense, but maybe it'll mean we don't have to hear them anymore. :big_grin:

Nope, we'll still hear 'em, and I'll crank up "Long Time Gone" as long as I love 'at song, and some 'o their others, too! :big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
Yeah, but I'm sure it'll blow over eventually...
Not like Roseanne scratching herself at the end of the Natl Anthem blew over fast at all. Heck, I think it's still blowing, isn't it?