America's Got Talent Thread Closure

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wow, now I'm kind of upset. What was with the knee-jerk overreaction thread closure about last night's Muppet appearance? I didn't think the posts were all that heated, just honest. Must every thread get locked when the discussion becomes interesting? :batty:

The main page and cards sections here are just about dead so I come here for the current discussions. I'm not much for fan fiction and games. There's becoming less and less of a reason to visit Muppet Central (except for the fantastic graphics, of course).

Can we stop with the chonic locking of threads? Please! :coy:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I understand why it happened -- and yes, some of the posts were rather heated -- but that's the whole point of debate and discussion. However, I understand that (should the alternate Kermit performer have been reading that thread...or anyone from Disney) it could have seemed offensive or upsetting. I think it's a shame that it had to be closed though, as there are so many good things about the performanceto praise, once we're over the shock of the Alternate-Kermit...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I understand why it happened -- and yes, some of the posts were rather heated -- but that's the whole point of debate and discussion. However, I understand that (should the alternate Kermit performer have been reading that thread...or anyone from Disney) it could have seemed offensive or upsetting. I think it's a shame that it had to be closed though, as there are so many good things about the performanceto praise, once we're over the shock of the Alternate-Kermit...
Maybe that was one of the many edits done this morning? Still, I keep finding locked and deleted threads. It's getting strange.

For the record, I supported the Kermit performer's attempt. I think everyone is just shocked that the frog has an understudy.

Beauregard

Reaction score
For the record, I supported the Kermit performer's attempt. I think everyone is just shocked that the frog has an understudy.
Honestly, I think everybody feels similar. Some of us are just trying to make it clear that the One Voice campaign is still in place. Just in case this wasn't a one of thing...

But, hey! :rolleyes: Everyone's entitled to an opinion, right?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Also, and many apologies for double posting, but I think this should be said here as well as in the Mindset thread where I originally posted it:

Honestly...I can't help but be a little annoyed by the fact that because the performer in rumoured to perhaps be a member here at MC (unconfirmed at this stage) this means we cannot share our honest opinions on the performance, and yet in other threads people get away with calling Miley Cyrus a "whore" and saying they "want a Piggy from TMS or TMM, not with ****** short hair, whats next?" Just because Cyrus and Miss Piggy's Stylist are not on MC, these opinions are allowed to stand. But because Alternate-Kermit is apparently a member, we now cannot even discuss the performance on any level?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Ed, my friend, I don't blame you at all for locking the thread and deleting my post. You are not the one at fault here, and I commend you for doing your job.

What IS at fault here are these RIDICULOUS forum guidelines. Unbelievable. COMPLETELY unbelievable. I'm appalled that I can't come to a MUPPET FAN FORUM and discuss A MUPPET APPEARANCE without having to walk on glass because I might hurt someone's feelings. Utterly ridiculous. Yeah, Sesame Street teaches us not to hurt anyone's feelings, but come ON Phillip Chapman, this is NOT Sesame Street. We are ADULTS. We should be allowed to freely voice our opinions about something NO MATTER WHAT.

I understand that the rule is, and I quote, "When posting about an individual, please keep in mind the person and/or their family may be reading your message. While it's fine and appropriate to critique their work on a particular Henson production (whether you liked it or not), please be respectful of a performer's personal life at all times."

This Artie fellow who (allegedly) performed fake-Kermit last night is apparently a member. Question, Muppet Central, if members aren't allowed to talk down the work of other members, why then, can people insult and bash the work of Muppet writer Jim Lewis? He is a member of this site. Why are people allowed to comment and bash on his work and I'm not allowed to comment on the performance of Artie? I was in NO way disrespectful to Artie as a person. I simply made my thoughts on his performance known.

It's utterly ridiculous that we have to walk on glass around here simply because we could hurt someone's feelings. Do you realize how many Muppet/Disney employees READ this site? Do you realize how many of them may be hurt or annoyed by the comments of members? YOU CAN'T PROTECT EVERYONE'S FEELINGS FROM BEING HURT.

I can't believe that I'm not allowed to express my opinion on my best friend Kermit the Frog when he was performed by SOMEONE WHO HAS NOT BEEN PERFORMING HIM FOR THE LAST NINETEEN YEARS. It's jarring, it's shocking, it's something that ALL MUPPET FANS SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO FREELY DISCUSS.

I got a private message on my YouTube account from a fellow Muppet fan. She told me how much she enjoyed and agreed with my post SUPPORTING STEVE WHITMIRE. That post is now deleted. I hope you're happy, Muppet Central. Your rules are removing the one remaining good part about this site: the forum. The homepage is dead, the cards are dead, the articles are antique. The forum is the LAST THRIVING PIECE of this site. I'm usually proud to be a part of it, but today... today I am not.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's take a breath for a second... I haven't had a chance to review the thread since mid-day but will be doing so. We'll discuss the issue and provide an update shortly. Stand by.

Luke

Reaction score
Honestly...I can't help but be a little annoyed by the fact that because the performer in rumoured to perhaps be a member here at MC (unconfirmed at this stage) this means we cannot share our honest opinions on the performance, and yet in other threads people get away with calling Miley Cyrus a "whore" and saying they "want a Piggy from TMS or TMM, not with ****** short hair, whats next?" Just because Cyrus and Miss Piggy's Stylist are not on MC, these opinions are allowed to stand. But because Alternate-Kermit is apparently a member, we now cannot even discuss the performance on any level?
Agree totally, some of the things being allowed on here is very inconsistent lately. There is a personal thread here where someone has loads of starred out language and the tone of the post isn't anywhere near suitable for a family forum, yet mods are posting in it and fine with it. Yet other things are locked or deleted which are just opinions - there needs to be consistency here with the moderation.

The Muppet folk are professionals, in the public eye, they expect their performances to be discussed, infact this place has been used previously to gather opinion on changes. If someone has an opinion, even if its negative, as long as they aren't making personal insults towards the performer it should be allowed. I can understand if someone gets heated they should be asked to stop but its unfortunate if somethings closed because it denys everybody else who can make their point properly not to be able to state it.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I am going to have to agree here. I witnessed the entire situation this afternoon, and I think it's one of the least fair rulings that we have seen at MC in many months.

What seemed to occur was that some MC members posted stating that Alternate-Kermit sounded more like Jim's Kermit, others thought it was the worst thing ever, and others pulled a middle-ground position of, "Fine, but let's NOT see it happen again."

Mostly -- I might add -- not in attack on Alternate-Kermit but rather in defence of Steve's position as official Kermit.

However, some of these posts were obviously harsh towards the Alternate-Kermit...and rightly so, in my opinion.

When many of the posts criticizing Alternate-Kermit were then deleted, quoting a rule that Members of Muppet Central could not be criticized (attacked)...it sort of revealed a massive foundation of huge problems here at MC where any passion, angst, or feeling fueled posts are seen as "attacks" "inflammatory" or otherwise evil evil. :stick_out_tongue:

Yes, we don't want to offend. But do we not-offend to the point that we are not allowed to show any negative feeling towards bad performance (if that person is a member of MC?)

So,we are not allowed to stand against any Muppet project, performer, or connection, if they are a member of MC?

Well, what if Miss Piggy's Hair Stylist were to join. Would we no longer be able to state that we HATE floating-head-Piggy?

If the writer of Muppets From Space were to join, would we no longer be able to say we HATE the fact that Gonzo is an alien?

If the designer of Muppet Uno was here, would we not be allowed to say we wished certain characters had appeared and others hadn't?

If the creators of Muppets.com are here, can we no longer say we hate that Muppets.com is not available in England?

I think that what happened today was utterly ridiculous. And I really want to see Prawnie's post returned to that thread, and it reopened for general discussion.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I like that we all disagree on the alternative-Kermit issue. I liked the performance, and I appreciate that others didn't. Closing the thread was a bad call. Negative or constructive criticism is to be expected, and if a performer is willing to put his/her talent on national television, then they should understand they're going to take some heat on it.