America's Next Muppet

Reaction score
Any news on the American Idol spin-off? I was at first excited to see my favorite fellas on TV again, but then I heard that it was recasting Muppet performers, not just adding.:mad: I also thought that it might be adding a character, not a performer... Is anything official right now? Is it even happening???????!!!!!!!:confused:

Luke

Reaction score
It was a spoof show, the idea was for the American public to vote for a new Muppet character who would join the roster of classic Muppets. It was never put out there as "Puppeteer Idol" - i think the idea was for puppeteers to be out of shot actually and it'd be just like Kermit/Gonzo/Piggy or Kermit/Pepe/Piggy searching for a new talented "Muppet". I guess there would have been a lot of wannabee Muppets auditioning so they may well have brought in extra Muppeteers but not as an open casting call. I think it's a heck of an idea, the one that could have revived the whole franchise, but looks like it's been canned long ago.

travellingpat

Reaction score
Which is really too bad...this seemed like a very promising new show...it could have kicked some life into this (unfortunately) dying franchise

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
travellingpat said:
this (unfortunately) dying franchise
i REALLY dont see why people on MC say this? :confused: and IF it was dying, we WOULDN'T be here!

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
How about if they could make a Canadian Muppet Show version called "Muppets TV". It would feature these Muppets:

Droop - aka Sniffy
Boppity - aka Bob the Blue Goblin
Shakey Sanchez - aka Little Red
Lenny the Lizard - aka Rusty
Flower-Eating Monster - aka George Monster
Luncheon Counter Monster - aka Fred Monster
Green Boppity - aka Gary the Green Goblin
Dark Green Hunchback Frackle - aka Roger the Blue-Green Goblin
Purple Frackle - aka Kevin the Purple Goblin
Trumpet Fazoob - aka Zander
Fish Fazoob - aka Borzo
Brool Minstrel - aka Julius, the keyboardist of the house band
Murray Minstrel- aka Buster, the bassist of the house band
Wander McMooch - aka Maurice, the accordionist of the house band
Mudwell Mudbunny - aka Hubert, the drummer of the house band
Aretha - aka Gerald, the guitarrist of the house band
Begoony - aka Mips
Blustering Bellowpane Monster - aka Manny the Martian
Whaddyasay Bird - aka Becky the Red Bird
Forcryingoutloud Bird - aka Robert the Green Bird
Ohboy Bird - aka Alfred the Blue Bird
Alfonso D'Bruzzo - aka Squawk the Parrot
Muppet Cow - aka Stella the Cow
Muppet Sheep - aka Elmer the Sheep
Muppet Dog - aka Woof-Woof
Muppet Shark - aka Razor the Shark
Earl Dragon (from Puppetman) - aka Jake the Dragon
Tug Monster (from Little Muppet Monsters) - aka Zippy Monster
Anthony (from The Jim Henson Hour) - aka Dr. Amadeus Birdbrain
Nick the Anaconda (from The Song of the Cloud Forest) - aka Snakey
Big Head (from three Muppet Meeting Films from the early 1990's) - aka Richard Garret
Porcupine (from Billy Bunny's Animal Songs) - aka Spike
Turtle (from Billy Bunny's Animal Songs) - aka Sheldon
Harry the Rhinoceros (from Jim Henson's Animal Show) - aka Rhino Announcer
Casey the Kangaroo (from Jim Henson's Animal Show) - aka Kangaroo Cameraman
Randall the Zebra (from Jim Henson's Animal Show) - aka Zebra Cameraman
The Wolf (from Muppet Classic Theater) - aka Professor Wolf
Andy Pig (from Muppets Tonight) - aka Stan the Pig Reporter
Randy Pig (from Muppets Tonight) - aka Louie the Pig Reporter
Two Wickershams (from The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss) - aka Moe and Joe Monkeys
Goat (from Telling Stories with Tomie DePaola) - aka Billy the Kid
Blotch the Toad (from Kermit's Swamp Years) - aka Tough Froggy
DJ 3 (from Animal Jam) - aka Fred the Cat
The Weather Guy (from From The Balcony) - aka Dennis Albert
Lester Possum (from From The Balcony) - aka Peter Possum
Various Penguins, Chickens, Lobsters, Rats, Inkspots, Raccoons, Bunnies, Rabbits, and Goldfish

Do you like this idea?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
i REALLY dont see why people on MC say this? :confused: and IF it was dying, we WOULDN'T be here!
The franchise is deffinantley slowing down. Which make me really upset. This wouldve been a great show, and a great way to bring back the Variety Show format aswell. Its a shame that so far disney isn't doing anything. Which ticks me off greatly, but I would rather them take there time a produce a quality product, rather than crap.

Luke

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
I think the idea of them actually being able to do anything new successfully is no longer working - the public just don't seem interested whatever they try to do. Then again Disney hasn't exactly pumped lots of money and effort into doing very much but lesser brands have relaunched in past years without that. We'll always be here to celebrate what was, but other than TV/DVD and theme park rides it's a bit of a worry as to what will happen next - perhaps there'll be an all out effort to get the Muppets back out there but then how can Disney justify it's worth the cash when they can do other things and the last movie flopped badly and most of the products and merchandise don't seem to be selling that well.

I think "Next Muppet" was going to happen at exactly the right time and it was exactly the right style of thing to get the public interested again. As to whether the age group watching would actually remember who anyone was other than Kermit we can't be sure. I think if they would have used Pepe on the Panel he would have gone down well. Maybe the panel should have been Kermit (straight guy), Piggy (Simon Cowell nasty type) and Pepe (funny guy), and maybe having Fozzie continually disguising himself to keep auditoning and getting turned down each time. Perhaps they could have had Gonzo and Rizzo as co-presenters.

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
How about another movie like "The Muppets' Valentine Movie", or "The Muppets' Robin Hood", or maybe "The Muppets' Thanksgiving Movie".

travellingpat

Reaction score
"i REALLY dont see why people on MC say this? :confused: and IF it was dying, we WOULDN'T be here!"

Im mad that none of their recent ventures worked...i definately wanted to see them succeed...im with all of you that they need to try something fast...so the public doesnt lose interest in them...