An Editorial: The State of the Muppets

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A new editorial is on-line about the recent changes within the Henson company like the workshop layoffs and Brian Henson's resignation. Annika Abel wrote this opinion story.

Let us know your thoughts and what you see in Henson's future!

Chad Kermit

Reaction score
Very well put. Thanks, for taking the time to share your thoughts. And the skinny Piggy thing I could not agree with more. I had even suggested that we start a poll here to see how the fans want her to look. Her selling bacon and eggs at Denny's does not look right either. I don't think Universal would do that to Babe.

Thanks for sharing
Chad

kansasteen14

Reaction score
I completely agree about the Skinny Piggy, and I also agree about Rowlf and Scooter being just walk on characters. One thing though, I feel Disney has the creativity and sense to handle the Muppets and I would love it if they bought them.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Annika, that was absolutely beautiful. Every word of it. Such an article was just what this town needed at this time. Thank you.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
My thoughts:

You want a skinny pig, bring back Spamela...please?

Concerning Scooter and Rowlf. Yes, bring them back in some way. Scooter sounded well (though it was brief) in MFS, and while Rowlf sounded just like Bobo in the recent Weezer special, it was GREAT seeing him, you know, TALKING. It really felt like I was watching the Muppets pre-1990.

It's just, for me, sometimes hard to tell what they're doing with the Classic Muppets as far as the new performers are concerned, because they haven't been doing a lot of work until recent months. We've had Bear, Farscape, and the Sesame projects. But when it came to clarifying if Jacobson was really replacing Oz (or if he was gone for sure), or IF a semi-retired or rarely seen character was coming back, it was hard to tell because they didn't have a new movie or a weekly TV show, just a bunch of obscure TV game show/talk show appearances. Don't know whether this is because of the EM.TV situation(s) or what. Maybe we'll find some real answers when the new Muppet series and Christmas movie (not to mention the actual sale of the company) come to be. Funny how a lot of other companies--multibillion dollar companies--can be sold rather quickly. But when it comes to selling the freakin' Muppets, no one can agree.

As for Disney, well...hmm. I believe every company has their pros and cons. Viacom, they got Nickelodeon, which is a children's network, you wanna see the Muppets as Nick Jr. staples again? Not that I really care, at least they'd be on TV again. I miss "Muppet Matinee."

AOL Time Warner (dear God, no). While they do own almost anything you watch or listen to (or in my case, log on to), well, look at Hanna-Barbera/Cartoon Network, just look and compare, even when it was just Turner running the show. Not saying it's all bad, just radically different, but at least more exposure, which is what all the companies will probably do.

As for The Walt Disney Company, while I'm sure there'd probably be some "cons," I'd believe they got more on the table due to theme parks, endless merchandise, existing relationships, etc. And there could possibly be a strong Muppet presence on ABC Family (incidentally, it was one year ago today when Disney bought Fox Family). When it comes to existing Henson material, Disney (and some other media outlets) will treat them fine, at least pleasing enough to the average Muppet watcher.

Or Henson could stay at "hands off" EM.TV as the company gets back on its feet. Yeaa-aaa-aah right. I better not see that shocking article in October.

When it comes to brand new Henson/Muppet material, well, I guess it really depends on how much say the Henson production teams have. Keep in mind, Henson does a bunch of preschool material on their own, though they are not the "Classic Muppets."

OK, now I'm done sounding intelligent.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by BoyRaisin2
You want a skinny pig, bring back Spamela...please?
Nooooooooooo!!!! :rolleyes:
while Rowlf sounded just like Bobo in the recent Weezer special, it was GREAT seeing him, you know, TALKING.
Don't let the Weezer special fool you. Bill was much better as Rowlf at MuppetFest. While I could still sense a hint of Bobo in the voice, that was Rowlf we saw on that stage, through and through. The Rowlf we saw on the Weezer special was horrible. He even had Bobo's distinct laugh, while Rowlf's laugh is so distinct in itself. Bill must have been having an off day or didn't take time to really get into the part, or didn't have good material to work with or something. All I know is that he was way better in December.

Or maybe it was my imagination and he *did* sound just like Bobo. I suppose the excitement of having seen him may have fooled us all, but I doubt it. Mannerisms, dialogue, voice... that was him :smile:

MuppetVision3D

Reaction score
This is a great article.... except for the view on Disney owning the muppets. The problem I find with it is short-term thinking. The author says that the muppets need an owner who will be "hands off." Point taken. But 20 to 30 years from now, when JHC's tight knit family relationship is no longer so tight, who will carry on the legacy? A "hands off" relationship could turn to down-right neglect. If nothing else, disney has undoubtedly proven that they can keep characters fresh and alive in the minds of the public. I'm not trying to argue here, just sharing my opinion.

A) Muppets for pre-schoolers - Yeah, this would be awful. God knows I wouldn't want my kids to watch the muppets. Then they might grow up with the same love and appreciation for them that I have. (note: sarcasm). Muppet-lovin' kids grow up to be Muppet-lovin' adults. (Again, you gotta' think long term.)

B) Lack of creativity - Of all things said, this is the thing I disagree with most. The Walt Disney Company has always and will always be based on creativity and imagination. Right now, they may not be in touch with public tastes (i.e. Atlantis) but they aren't afraid to try something new (i.e. Lilo and Stitch). They are going through a time of redefining themselves and they may be even more creative than ever in my opinion. They're taking risks and only some are paying off. Just because all their movies aren't blockbusters doesn't mean they aren't creative. They're trying to do something different. Didn't someone else try that once? I think his name was something Henson. Anyways, movin' right along....

C)It's a bad fit - Practically unlimited funds. The most respected name in family entertainment. A company based on the american dream that had plans to push the muppets through the roof not that long ago. Yeah, bad fit. Over-merchandising, that would be awful too. We muppet fans don't get excited over stuff and just run out to buy it (figures, cough, cough). Could you just imagine? So much muppet stuff at one time that you didn't know what to get. That would be terrible. (note: major sarcasm.)

The Muppets might be just the thing to refresh and revitalize the Disney company and in the process restore kermit and the gang to their previous grandeur. A group of established characters with unlimited possibilities set in the lap of some of the most creative people in the entire world. Who knows? It just might be the rainbow connection. Kermit did say that someday we'd find it.

Those are my thoughts. No disrespect intended to the author or anybody else. Please tell me I'm not the only one rooting for Disney.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah, nice article Anika, in fact way better than the guy who was supposed to be doing it professionally, you may well be just what this site has needed for quite a while. A nice opinionated piece, but with actual educated opinions.

I respect everything you said as your personal viewpoints and am with you almost everywhere except the Disney/Henson ownership thing and i kinda agree with the last poster.

The last thing Henson needs is an owner who is 'hands off' - thats what got them in this whole mess in the first place. If they'd been doing things right over the years they wouldn't belong to EMTV right now, and Brian Henson would still be running the company. What JHC needs is someone who is very 'hands on' but understands the brand and the main company running it. Don't be fooled by the anniversary year - a lot of that was handled by independant people, as was the TV and film deals - all brokered elsewhere. They were bound to get big attention this year (after all - they ARE the Muppets) but that doesn't neccasarily mean they won't slump back down again once they have lost the 25th anniversary 'golden carrot' which is waved in front of licensee's.

Disney is also obviously capable of making more family aimed stuff, rather than just kids. I don't think they have that less of a brain than to market the Muppets just to kids, rather than the nostalgia family aspect.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm glad people like the piece. Scott & Luke, thanks for your kind words.

As for the Disney issue, I respect those of you who are for a Disney buy-out. Like I said, you're not gunna change my mind, but it is great to be discussing the pros and cons and getting a debate going. I didn't write the editorial just to bestow my opinions on you-- this kind of debate is exactly what the forum is here for.

About the merchandising-- do I want more Muppet stuff? Absolutely!! But, and this is a big but, I want good quality collectibles. I'll probably get some Kermit PJs or slippers, but I'm not real excited about Muppet underwear. Plastic key chains and over priced spirals aren't gunna do it for me either. I love the figures. Can't wait for the busts. I just don't want to see tons of shoddy plush and plastic nonsense mass produced. I want stuff like the old Sigma mugs.

Luke makes an interesting point about hands on management. Hafta think about that. I guess the key is to find a company that truly understands and respects the Muppets and is not out to just milk them for all they can and toss 'em aside.

Spamela-- she's kind of a one trick pony. Piggy has depth and range. More can be done with Piggy in terms of character development. Do I even need to get into why I would be less than happy with Spamela as the sole representative of women? :stick_out_tongue:

Thanks again, I'm glad people are reading it and finding it interesting.

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
Nice article but I had a problem with the Disney part too. Kiddie? From where I am standing, Henson doing this right now with Kermit The Swamp Year and the proposed Frog School series. When you come to think about it, almost of all Henson library is full of pre-school shows.