1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

An End-of-the-Year Idea

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Hubert, Jan 12, 2013.

?

Would you be interested in this idea?

1. Yes

92.9%
  2. No

7.1%

1. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Since it seems like the idea of the MC awards is pretty much something that isn't going to happen anytime soon, I've been thinking about an idea that was originally raised by bannanasketch and beakerboy last year when everyone was talking about whether we should do the awards.

The idea basically was that instead of doing awards about MC, we do awards based on the real life Muppet happenings. Members would vote on the best Sesame Street episode, the best Muppet TV appearance, the best piece of Muppet merchandise, best home video release, etc., and then the winners would be announced once the votes are in.

I dunno if the idea would end up working or not, but I just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone is interested in doing something like this.

Muppetboy09 and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  2. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

hummm let me think about my thoughts on this....

3. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

While I like this idea a lot, I think people are just warn out from the awards in general. You also have to consider that people are going to say yes, it's a great idea, but then not bother to vote. I personally know I wouldn't vote, despite liking the idea...I mean, only 3 people sent something in for Casey's video. We can't have just three people voting. I can think of only less than 10 people who are active enough around the forum to even notice there's an awards thing going on and actually vote. Most people stick to one section of the forum and are oblivious to everything else :/

The community, I hate to say, is just not as close anymore so getting some even organized, even if it's just sending an email, seems kind of difficult. Sorry to be a downer on the whole thing

Vincent L and dwayne1115 like this.
  4. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

I like the idea, too, but I'd have to agree with Sarge. There are few people on here that explore the whole forum. I'd like to see more come out of stuff like this, but I just don't see people on here taking the time to vote. It's unfortunate that we can't do things like this. Like you, I have never even experienced the MC awards. :(

5. Mister Muppet

Mister Muppet Well-Known Member

I also like this idea I would vote and casey I too have never experienced the MC awards :(

6. dwayne1115

The Awards where at one time fun for all involved. I sure loved hosting them, and would love to do something like that again. Sarge is sadly right about the community not being close any more. I really wish that would change.
    Have you all looked at some of the older award threads? they are a good read if your ever board. Sadly almost all of the winners from the first four or five no longer come on here, or you rarely see them.
    Anyways I would vote, but the problem I have is that the Classic Muppets, and Fraggles had a good year, but Sesame has taken a pure beating this year with a whole lot of bad press, and bad issues. What kind of categories are you thinking about doing?

7. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

If we would do this, some ideas for categories could include (of course, these are just a few rough ideas):

Best Sesame Street Episode
    Best TV Appearance
    Best Live Appearance
    Best Merchandise
    Best Book
    Best Home Video Release
    Best Music Video

I definitely agree though with Sarge and Casey that this might not work in the sense that many people might not be interested, unfortunately. I don't know how well this would work, which is why I just kinda threw this out there to see what would happen.

8. Sgt Floyd

Hrm....those are way too broad. Especially for merchandise and episodes...there is just so much stuff, the chances of people voting in any kind of unity are pretty slim. This is one of those things where you would have to have nominations and put a limit on the number of nominees, like maybe 5 max

9. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree, those are just general ideas of some of the things that we could be voting on, obviously more specifically than that (sorry I didn't specify :oops:)

10. Sgt Floyd

I would like to see SOMETHING done at least. But I just have low hopes for it :(

11. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I think it could work, but it would need to be something that would have to be promoted a bit first. However, there is quite a bit of time before the end of the year, so there's ample time to refine the idea.

12. Sgt Floyd

I was thinking this was going to be soon...I was connecting "End of year" with the end of last year...oops :o

13. dwayne1115

Just don't expect full support from the forum, but I would love to help any way I could. We would need to get a kind of group together that would like to work on it together, and then figure out the categories and then voting rules.
    If done right there are a lot of little things that need to be done for the big picture.

14. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

Since the Academy Awards are known as "Oscars", TV awards are "Emmys", Musical awards are "Grammys", Broadway musicals have "Tonys", etc., how about nicknaming these MC awards "Hensons", in honor of Jim Henson, who helped bring the Muppets into existence? :jim:

15. Piggy The Frog

Piggy The Frog Well-Known Member

I like this idea. Like some of you, I wasn't around for the MC awards, so it would be fun to participate in this.

16. Sgt Floyd

And I already see the biggest problem forming. It's only new people who want to participate :/

CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  17. dwayne1115

I know I mean I love that the newer members want to get involved with doing something. The problem is I just don't want people to get burned out of MC so quickly, and then never show up here again. We should start with something small first, an awards show,game or something small to kind of see who is who, what kind of talents,skills people have, and go from there.
    It's kind of like reintroducing ourselves with each other, and seeing what we all can bring to the table.

18. Sgt Floyd

The real problem isn't people getting burned out quickly, it's that old members don't want to do anything. Think about how poor the reception was of Casey's video on christmas. Practically no one sent anything in. If old people don't want to participate, then it's still not "reintroducing ourselves." Awards shows certainly aren't small either

19. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Is that such a bad thing? We know we're not as close-knit of a community as it used to be, (which is something we have to work on, but that's another story).

I guess we're the new generation of MC. The older members aren't coming back for things like this and barely ever will. We should do things with the community we have now! It'll be great to have some of those members back, but some of them aren't coming back.

We should do this idea, why not? And I'm willing to help if we decide to get this together, it sounds like it'll be fun.

(I was gonna send something in for Casey's video btw. My internet kept crashing before it uploaded to my email. You don't exactly get quick technical support on Christmas Eve. :p)

CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  20. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I think that a lot of Casey's video's problem was that a video is a bit more, well, advanced for some computer challenged members. (My problem was that I just didn't have the energy to film a video at the moment :p)

Though I have been wondering as of late what we can do to try to bring the community together a bit more, old and new. Engaging stuff that might attract a variety of people, even if it's something small. We can still be a close-knit community if we work at it, I think.