An Interesting Article

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But Annie as a comic and a musical suck, and not for political reasons... they just... they're horrible. Now, the 2 Charlie Brown musicals. Those are just beautiful.
I was in Annie twice as a kid and it was fun at the time, but now I get so sick of seeing schools put it on; show some originality people! Lol

Wait, what's the other Charlie Brown musical? I know about You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown (and yes it is beautiful :smile: ).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was in Annie twice as a kid and it was fun at the time, but now I get so sick of seeing schools put it on; show some originality people! Lol

Wait, what's the other Charlie Brown musical? I know about You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown (and yes it is beautiful :smile: ).
Snoopy: The Musical. It's basically the unpopular follow up. I can['t remember if "Just One Person" was from that or Good Man... I remember Good Man ending with "Happiness." I think I had soundtracks to both... there were definitely 2 different animated specials (that cut out a good fraction of the songs) done about a decade apart from each other...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Snoopy: The Musical. It's basically the unpopular follow up. I can['t remember if "Just One Person" was from that or Good Man... I remember Good Man ending with "Happiness." I think I had soundtracks to both... there were definitely 2 different animated specials (that cut out a good fraction of the songs) done about a decade apart from each other...
Ooooh yes, OK yes I remember having Snoopy: The Musical on tape years ago. How could I forget, to this day I occasionally think of those songs, lol. Like the kids singing about Edgar Allen Poe, Linus and Snoopy waiting for the Great Pumpkin and Peppermint Patty singing "Poor Sweet Baby" to Charlie Brown, lol.

I hadn't realized they'd done a stage musical version though.

beaker

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just stumbled across this article - http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...of-running-liberal-agenda-20110530-1fbl6.html

An interesting piece of "news" don't you think?

"Much-loved children's television show Sesame Street and hit sitcoms Friends and Happy Days are being used to promote secret left wing messages, according to a new book.
Conservative columnist and author has Ben Shapiro accused television executives and writers of pushing a liberal agenda in several high profile American television entertainment shows.

His book Primetime Propaganda will show how the "most powerful medium of mass communication in human history became a vehicle for spreading the radical agenda of the left side of the political spectrum," according to the publishers HarperCollins. "

Now, considering my extreme left political stance, I have no problem if any of these shows are "preaching". However, I certainly agree with one of the comments, which says

"When did it ever become left-wing to promote peace and pacifism?"

:rolleyes:
To this author of the crazy book I ask "And this is wrong how?" More and more people are realizing what an ugly, ignorant beehive of intollerence and old ways of thinking conservatism is. If Sesame street promotes a "radical left wing" agenda, I'm all for it!

Drtooth

Reaction score
And this is wrong how? More and more people are realizing what an ugly, ignorant beehive of intollerence and old ways of thinking conservatism is. If Sesame street promotes a "radical left wing" agenda, I'm all for it!
Ben Shapiro is an ugly person trying to drag Sesame Street down to further an insane batpoop loco imaginary conspiracy theory.

Big Bird got a warm welcome in the White House from First Lady Pat Nixon, wife of Republican Richard Nixon. Sesame Street embraced the appearances of Barbara Bush and Laura Bush the same way they welcomed Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton.

Sesame Street and Muppet fans come from all walks of life and all political factors.

Again, I must state Ben Shapiro is NO better than the warmongering Middle Eastern dictators that whine about how Sesame Street is imperialistic because they teach kids not to go around killing each other. And really, when has Peace and Pacifism become such a disgustingly perverted concept? No one wants war except those who profit off of it. No one wants to fund it, no one wants to fight it. Ben must have stock in Boeing or something... he's probably too old and too fat to fight in any of the wars he drools over, like most Neo-Con squawking heads.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Happy Days? o.o I think it says something that he is using Happy Days and Friends as examples, they are pretty old now :stick_out_tongue:.
The muppets period were always 'left wing' but I don't see that as a bad thing. I mean, that is like being mad at old 50's-60's sitcoms for being right wing. In both cases it is just what they are...
And as far as SST goes, since when has what they taught honestly hurt anyone? And since when are parents forced to enforce what they teach if their family doesn't agree for whatever reason? :\

Drtooth

Reaction score
Chill, man... it's all the same "The Liberals are coming to get you, Barbara" crap that these writers want to scare paranoid schizophrenics with.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I am chill (but not a man) and cool about this whole thing :smile:. My PBS is KQED after all..I guess as such I never got the hate for 'left wing' ideas..it's not all or nothing thing after all :\

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And as far as SST goes, since when has what they taught honestly hurt anyone?
Actually Sesame Street has always been under attack, from the very beginning. There was a book from the 1980's, Amusing Ourselves to Death. It's a great book, but the author was concerned that Sesame Street was promoting too much of an instant reward system for learning. How could kids pay attention in school when there's no puppets or music to reward them for learning? He wasn't really against Sesame Street itself, just skeptical as to whether Television as a medium was a realistic or effective learning tool.

Not saying I agree, just pointing out that Sesame Street has always had its critics. Pretty much anything that ever involves education and children, you're going to get complaints and opinions from all sides, lol.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Actually Sesame Street has always been under attack, from the very beginning. There was a book from the 1980's, Amusing Ourselves to Death. It's a great book, but the author was concerned that Sesame Street was promoting too much of an instant reward system for learning. How could kids pay attention in school when there's no puppets or music to reward them for learning? He wasn't really against Sesame Street itself, just skeptical as to whether Television as a medium was a realistic or effective learning tool.
Attention in school vs target audience is what I picked up here. Although SST has never had a specific age bracket (evidence shown with us, heh), most of their viewers cease viewing the show prior to any really difficult study, and as a product of school environment concentration is learnt.

That said I'd rather have Bunsen and Beaker replace my chemistry teacher :eek: