An introduction and a question about The Foam Book.

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Marc, and I'm a Chicago native. Although I am not new to the site, I am new as a member to the puppetry board, and I'd like to say hello. I'm a fine art student looking to work with puppetry in theatre after college. What had been an interest when I was still in grade school has now become a more serious (but not TOO serious :wink: ) interest that I hope to make a future out of.

Although I have done some building with puppets, and have even done a few simple foam puppets (no pictures online, but I hope to get some soon) I'd like to educate myself more on using foam. I have heard about Grey Seal's Foam Book and their Nip and Tuck method. Can anyone tell me if their book is worth while, and even if their video series is as well? I'm not looking to make Muppets, but I am looking to be able to use foam more in my work if i can, even if it's just for bodies and apendages.

Thank you all for your time, and I hope to hear and to talk to you all soon. My screen name on AOL is Anima315 and I'm open for IMs.
Take care.

Jinx

Reaction score
The Foam Book/Video

Welcome, Marc!

I have found both the Foam book and accompanying videos to be very much worthwhile. (My avatar shows the first fruits of using their techniques) The book is very useful as a guide to have on the table top while constructing, and the videos demonstrate the concepts quite clearly. The puppet I built is a "3 piece" head, which personally suits my style better. The nip-and-tuck is more of a "sculpting-on-the-fly" method that can yield some pretty incredible results, particularly if you have an aptitude for spontenaeity.

There are two videos, one for 3 piece and one for nip-and-tuck. The first portions of these videos are identical, beginning with materials used, tools to have on hand etc., and then through the construction of the mouth plate. it is only at the point where you begin to "foam out" the puppet that the videos diverge.

For my money, all of these materials have provided an ideal balance between showing me what I need to do while encouraging plenty of individual creativity.

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Thank you Jinx.

Thanks a lot Jinx, I greatly appreciate it. I was on your website last night and I was very impressed by the simple yet very polished layout that contained alot of information about you and your work. Did you design the site yourself? Where are you located?

Thanks again for the information about the book and videos, and I hope to hear from you and others soon!
Marc
:smile:

Jinx

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, Marc.

I did design the website (basically thrown together over a couple of weekends). My "day job" is as a graphic designer/production supervisor, which although I am not particularly in love with, has come in very handy in the world of theatre.

I live in Belgrade, Montana which is located about 90 miles north of Yellowstone National Park. Its a beautiful place to live!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hi Marc!

I'd say that the Foam Book is a must if you're serious about building foam puppets. Personally, I wouldn't spring for the video if you're not that in to the "Muppet style" but if you can afford it, go for it too.

Incidently, if you're in Chicago you should contact the Chicagoland Puppeteers if you haven't already. They are the local PofA guild and PofA is usually a great way to network and meet puppet people in your area.

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Thanks Buck, and it's good to hear from you! I think I will pick up the foam book. I've worked with foam before with pretty good results and have done one pattern for a wolf hand puppet. What I'd like to get better at is being able to draw out and make more patterns. My current method of foam construction involves making a lot of scissor cuts and reglues to get the shape right and I'm left with a puppet that has Frankenstien Monster seams running through him or her! I'd also like to find out more on how to cover foam puppets as well. I already use Design Master's Floral spray and or watered down acrylic paint for coloring, but, I'd like to know more about body coverings. Does the foam book cover this at all?

And, I am already a member of the Chicagoland Puppetry Guild, and a member of PofA. It's a nice little group of professionals, semi profesionals, and people who are just interested in puppetry. What I would like to know is if there is a regional puppetry festival coming to the Midwest anytime soon through the PofA. I THINK that since this is an even numbered year, regional festivals are being held, but, I haven't read or seen anything in the PofA website, or anywhere else online. Does anyone out there know if there will be a PofA regional festival for the Midwest, besides Potlatch and the International Christian Puppetry Festival in Kankakee in July?

Take care all!
Marc

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I'm not sure but there may not be a 2004 fest in your region...maybe there wasn't a guild willing to take it. For a definative answer I'd try contacting Aretta Baumgartner at hensonfan@fuse.net who is - as you probably know - the PofA Regional Director for your area.

I do know that the 2005 National Fest is going to be in St. Paul and Puppetfest MidWest 2004 is July 13-18 in Trenton, Missouri. The Puppetfest Midwest web site is http://www.puppetfestival.org for more info.

Let me know if you hear about something this year....I'm near the Great Lakes Region and I'd love to attend a PofA fest in the area.

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Well, actually Buck there will be a festival, a pretty big one from what I've heard, this summer in Kankakee, IL. I Think it's called the International Christian Puppeteers Festival, and more information can be found at www.onewaystreet.com. Personally, I am not a very relegious person, but it is a puppet festival and I've heard that they are some pretty good workshops there. I tried contacting the festival organizer about a list of teachers/workshops, and found that they won't know a definate list until a month before the festival. IF it looks like there will be some pretty interesting or good workshops, I think I'll go, if not for the entire fest then maybe for the weekend and just commute from Chicago to Kankakee (the trip for me is about a half hour to forty-five minutes.)

Take care,
Marc

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Thanks, I know about the OWS fest. I actually have a bit of bias against a few organizations like OWS and Kids on the Block for a few reasons, mostly personal and artistic. Mostly, I dislike the way as organizations they are basically aping the Muppet style (with lower standards) and not attempting to add anything to it. Sometimes they also tend to act/behave like they invented the style in the first place! KotB is especially infuriating in this regard.

Incidently, I'm referring to the organizations as a whole, not their various branches or individual members. I'm sure there are great people involved with both these groups. Like I said, it's a personal artistic bias. I'd still be curious to check out a fest of OWS that was a little closer to home.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, "The Foam Book" has only very limited information of patterning and covering. There's some in there, but the book is really written for beginners. There is a lot of good info and it's definately an interesting read but there is not a lot of "advanced" information, presumably because Donald and Drew were writing it with people who are just starting out in mind.

You might want to search the forum if that's all you want to know about as there have been a few threads on both these subjects.