An Unbreakable Bond - The third Rowlf story

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Here is what I think will be the final story in my "Rowlf" trilogy. I may write for Rowlf in the future, but we'll just have to wait and see. I had originally planned for part of this plotline to have been in "The Tie That Binds" but then that story took on a life of it's own, so I felt the need to continue the story as planned, so like I said, here's part three!

Chapter One:

The stars were shining brightly over the candlelit table. The air was crisp and cool, the sign of a beautiful Fall evening. The patio had been cleared out except for this one special table.

Rowlf couldn’t have planned it better if he’d been Casanova. This was no ordinary evening. This evening, over a romantic candlelight dinner Rowlf was going to hang up his flea collar on the single life. He was ready to settle down and wanted to do so with someone very special to him, Wanda the Cat.

He and Wanda had certainly had their ups and downs over the past few months. She was a childhood friend of his that he rediscovered on a journey to find his roots. There were sparks between them so he invited her to Hensonville where she joined the cast of the Muppets.

While there certainly were sparks between them, it took them awhile to figure out what they wanted out of a relationship with each other. Rowlf had been the more hesitant one. Just when he figured out what he wanted a family crisis called him back home to Minnesota. His brother had been diagnosed with cancer and Rowlf was the only suitable donor to give him a bone marrow transplant.

Rowlf convinced Wanda to come out and be with him and it was a good thing he did. There ended up being complications from the surgery on his end, not his brother's. It was then that he discovered that he truly loved Wanda and he saw how much she loved him. She didn’t leave his bedside and helped nurse him back to health.

When they arrived home they agreed to take things slowly, letting themselves and everyone else get used to them as a couple. But now, Rowlf was certain. He was not letting her go and he was ready to make this type of commitment to her. Of course, that didn’t mean he wasn’t nervous as could be.

“Ah! Mr. The Dog, everything is ready for you in the kitchen, I prepared the meals specifically to your liking,” said Antonio, the owner of Antonio’s Italian Restaraunte which was not far from Hensonville in a little city called Deanstown.

“Thank you so much,” said Rowlf.

“Your waiter this evening is Mark and he’ll take good care of you,” said Antonio and headed back to the kitchen.

Rowlf started to pace. Kermit was going to bring Wanda to the restaurant so Rowlf could get everything set up. Kermit was also the only one who knew what was going on. Rowlf knew if all the others had any idea they would spill the beans and ruin everything. As for Wanda, all she was being told is that Rowlf had a special surprise for her and that she should dress up.

Rowlf sat down at the table and checked his watch. 6:58. Wanda would be there in two more minutes. He smiled when he thought of how far they’d come. He couldn’t wait to see what she was wearing either even though he always thought she was beautiful.

Five minutes passed by. Ten minutes passed by. This was not a good sign.

“Kermit said this plan was flawless, what happened?” wondered Rowlf.

“Excuse me sir, you have a phone call,” said Mark the waiter.

“Yeah, I saw that coming,” said Rowlf and headed over to the phone.

“Hello?” said Rowlf.

“Rowlf, we’ve got a problem. Fozzie’s car kind of exploded on our way out of the parking lot,” said Kermit.

“BOOM!” came another explosion over the line.

“Was that Harry?” asked Rowlf.

“Of course,” said Kermit.

“How did the car explode?” asked Rowlf.

“Well, it may have involved Gonzo, some chili powder and an old pair of shoes,” said Kermit.

Rowlf groaned.

“So, now what?” asked Rowlf.

“Well, everyone wanted to know where Wanda and I were going because of course the incident called everyone’s attention to the fact that we were leaving,” said Kermit.

“What did you say?” asked Rowlf.

“That you and Wanda were hosting a PBS telethon and you had already gone down to be the musical guest,” said Kermit.

“Nice covering,” said Rowlf.

“Yeah, I’ve had practice. Anyway, um, the bad news is there’s really no way for me to get her there without everyone learning the truth and I’ve got no way to come and get you either,” said Kermit.

“It’s all right man, I’ll catch a bus heading back to Hensonville. I’ll probably be there in 20 minutes,” said Rowlf.

“Sorry Rowlf,” said Kermit.

“It’s not your fault. We’ll just have to move to plan B. I should’ve expected this would happen,” chuckled Rowlf and hung up the phone.

He had plenty of time to make this happen, there was no reason to worry. He’d regroup with Kermit when he got home and they’d rework their plans.

“Life is good,” thought Rowlf as he stepped on to the bus.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<Nods> A good first chapter. Nice explanation of everything that's been, you summed it up nicely. Rowlf's nerves, understandable. The car explosions, typical Muppets...

redBoobergurl said:
“Well, it may have involved Gonzo, some chili powder and an old pair of shoes,” said Kermit.
I love that line, so much......

Beth said:
“That you and Wanda were hosting a PBS telethon and you had already gone down to be the musical guest,” said Kermit.

“Nice covering,” said Rowlf.

“Yeah, I’ve had practice.
I'm sure... <snickers>

Here she goes again... said:
“Life is good,” thought Rowlf as he stepped on to the bus.
What? Life is good, in a Muppet fanfic? Ho ho, not for long, I'd wager...

MORE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Originally posted by the Wise One
What? Life is good, in a Muppet fanfic? Ho ho, not for long, I'd wager..
Of course not! What kind of fic do you think this is anyway? He he, I'm kidding. It's a little something I'd like to call foreshadowing. Rowlf says life is good, that of course implies things are going to change. :smile: More coming soon!

MarkFraggle

Reaction score
Goodness, I'm not even done reading all your old stuff, and you're putting up new stuff?

Life IS good!

PBS telethon. Very nice touch.

And hooray for a waiter named Mark!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
MarkFraggle said:
Goodness, I'm not even done reading all your old stuff, and you're putting up new stuff?

Life IS good!

PBS telethon. Very nice touch.

And hooray for a waiter named Mark!
Yep, that was for you Mark :smile: It's nice to have a new reader.

BTW I'll give muffins or brownie points or something to whoever can tell me what the city where the restaraunt is a reference to.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah ha! How I love to count points!
*Cookie Monster wandering in: Hey... Me hear someone say brownies?

Come on... Deantown? Rowlf's starting exploits on the Jimmy Dean Show.
Heh, the belly button blew up.

Very good stuff here Beth... PBS telethon was probably the part I liked best.
That, and Crazy Harry in the background with a second explosion, followed by Kermit's explanations.

Got something special starting here, keep it comin'!

Leyla

Reaction score
Nice beginning here. Liked your comparison of Rowlf with Cassanova, liked the very Muppety reason for Kermit's delay, loved the cause of the explosion, and that Kermit's had practice covering.

Looking forward to more!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Wow, so soon! Yep, that's just the way it is Mark; time, and obsessed fan authors, wait for no one!
*wink* I also have a few good friends named Mark, by the way.
Thaught the setup at the restoraunt was beautiful, and the whole phonecall from Kermit was hilarious! Poor Rowlf; but his responce to it was classic. The way he just took it all in stride! I can't wait to see what the foreshadowing leads up to...
BTW, Ed, the belly button blew up?
*confused*

Java

Reaction score
Oh, this is beautiful. And from the preview we had at the end of part two, well we know life is not good for long.

Hope to see more soon.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry Kate... That's a reference to the clip from Rowlf's appearances on the Jimmy Dean Show from The Muppets 30th Anniversary Special.
A funny bit, if you can at least follow it auditively.