An Update from Snowth (and a Public Opinion Needed)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay guys.

Like Marty said, my computer was attacked by two Trojan Horse Downloaders, both of which downloaded malicious, Spyware-infested programs onto my computer. My anti-virus program quaranteened the viruses and the files they infected, and they were deleted, while I manually uninstalled those two malicious programs. After all that though, I'm still experiencing some problems with Internet Explorer (which was the only thing effected by the viruses, thank goodness), so a technician advised me to download the IE setup files and reboot my computer. That's been working fine so far, so I feel safe enough to return under my real account... but I'm still going to have it check out just to be on the safe side Wednesday.

Now, like Marty said, I registered the new "Colonel Hogan" account because of fear that if any Spyware was still on my computer that it would steal the valuable information I need to log onto MC, so I created a new account that I knew I wouldn't care if it was hacked... but I didn't count on the new feature Phillip installed to have newbies have to wait to be approved to post, hence why I asked Marty (since he was the only one I know very well who was actually online at the moment) to relay my news to you all so you'd know that I'm still here, and that I was Colonel Hogan.

Now here's where I need public opinion, my current anti-virus program is CRAP! It's AVG FREE edition (hence why it was a hassle JUST to get rid of the infections). A lot of people I talked to, who work with computers, have been suggesting I get rid of AVG and get Panda; though I've been reading a lot of negative reviews regarding Panda, saying that it takes up a lot of RAM, and slows down your entire computer, while simultaniously, I've been reading most people seem to prefer Kaspersky more than anything (even more than AVG, Norton, and McAfee). What do you guys think?

Skye

Reaction score
You know Snowthy, I would help you out, except that I have absolutely no idea about any of this stuff. I mean, I use Norton, and it's fine and all, but that's the only one I know anything about. I'm sorry... I really wish I could help you!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Pff! Norton's old and out-dated! That's why I need opinions on Panda and Kaspersky.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
My husband works in computers and said Kaspersky is good. We know nothing about Panda. That's all I know.

Luke

Reaction score
I would try posting at a PC help forum, bit off topic for MC. Seems like AVG did its job though and throughout your whole post you never mentioned a FIREWALL - you need both, there may lie your problem!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I would try posting at a PC help forum, bit off topic for MC.
Well, this IS one of the off-topic boards.
Luke said:
Seems like AVG did its job though and throughout your whole post you never mentioned a FIREWALL - you need both, there may lie your problem!
Yeah, well, like I said, I have the FREE edition of AVG, and apparently it doesn't really do all it's supposed to as apposed to the payed for version.

But yes, I DO need a firewall.

Pork

Reaction score
well, we have AVG free and a firewall and it seems to be working alright for us. No major things gone wrong.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Snowthers..I wish I could help.But I don't know a thing about computers.Sorry.:frown: