And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

Muppet Master

Reaction score
It's funny how Trump supporters utterly despise celebrities and elites because an elite celebrity said so.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Don't jump on me, lol, but I think that's something he and Obama kinda have in common. Obama has an amazing gift for speaking. But even he admitted he didn't realize how hard it would be to try and change Washington. He didn't attract bipartisan support like Bill Clinton had done, which is why Obamacare is now at risk. IMO, McCain and Kasich might have done a better job, but they simply aren't charismatic enough (I wish I had more Democrats to list, but Hillary was apparently the best choice ever for reasons that continue to elude me). That says something about how screwy the voters' priorities are. :wink:

And for that I do at least half blame the Democrats for not trying to understand or respect those underdogs.

That's a good point! Lol
You're right. Charisma is definitely something they share, but the comparison ends there. Mitch McConnell said it best. The Republican's first and only goal was obstructionism on a scale that has never before been seen in Washington. Even though he had a legitimate mandate, Obama naively tried to work with congressional republicans for the first two years of his presidency while they kept stalling and running out the clock until they regained leadership. It's the same play they used with Obama's SCOTUS nominee. It's dirty, underhanded and self serving. It doesn't really serve the public interest. I think every branch of government should have term limits. No matter how idealistic a person is when they enter congress, most all of them eventually rot over time and become cynical. This country belongs to all of us. I think many representatives forget that. Anyway, that's what happened to Obama. He's highly intelligent and pragmatic to a fault. Those aren't Trump values. Trump has a knack for working a room and energizing people. There was a conservative pundit who counted the number of times Obama said "I" in his farewell address. It was a lot, but it was taken out of context. Obama's presidency and speech was very much about all of us, not just some of us and not just him. The same pundit neglected to mention the number of times Trump talks about himself all the time. In times of terrorism or other disasters, his Twitter response is always, "I told you so." Eugh. That's our president now. [cringe]

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Maybe throw in a few :stick_out_tongue:s or :wink:s from time to time - I know I've had to do that from time to time due to miscommunication regarding whether a post serious or sarcastic.

But hey, MuppetsRule, I'm curious to hear your opinion about something: after Trump's press conference yesterday (yes, I confess I found it to be a trainwreck and painful to watch), it wasn't any surprise to me that Fox News were just gushing about his performance, saying that was so "real and authentic," and that he "related to the American people" and did so by "going after the rude and hostile reporters by putting them in their place." Except that, now, one Fox News reporter is actually lashing back out at Trump for his behavior on the grounds that the reporters weren't hostile in attacking him, but rather, he was rudely hostile with the reporters by attacking them for doing their job the way they were supposed to. In addition to that, now a bunch of Trump Supporters are calling for the removal of said Fox News reporter for calling Trump out on his behavior and that Fox News should remove him immediately and replace him with someone who wouldn't dare disrespct the . . . leader, for lack of better words I won't use.

So, in hopes of a more mature and civilized (and probably still just as tongue-in-cheek) manner, as someone who made it clear they support Trump no matter what, how, exactly, do you feel about this little impasse? Who do you feel was rude to the other - the media to Trump, or vice-versa? Similarly, what about the Fox News reporter's comments about Trump's misbehavior at the conference and attacking media for doing their job? And even so, who do you feel is in the right? The reporter for trying to tell it like it is, or Trump's supporters for needing to remove him from the network for being disgrace the dict, I mean Trump?
To answer a few of your questions:

1) In hopes of a more mature and civilized manner you want me to answer a few questions? I've asked you questions in the past and they have been totally ignored. I've asked you to expand on a couple of your posts in order to better understand where you are coming from but those were totally ignored as well. For example, you again and again blame your increase in health insurance costs and the latest, having to switch health insurance next year on President Trump, when, in fact, it has nothing to do with President Trump or any policy he has proposed. I didn't see how you saw that as President Trump's fault and would have liked for you to expand. But I didn't get any response. And that was fine with me. I really didn't expect you to respond as I didn't think you fully understood the pros and cons of Obamacare and were just parroting something you had read elsewhere. I had hoped though, that it would have sparked some sort of curiousity in you that you might do some research as to why your health insurance costs were actually going up and hopefully you would understand the issue better. Instead, it became apparent you didn't when you recently blamed President Trump for having to switch companies next year. We all need to take the time to understand the issues before we post a knee-jerk reaction.

2) You are incorrect in assuming that I support President Trump no matter what. There are plenty things I do not like. I've said so from time to time. Do I point out everything he does wrong? No. But I choose to direct my criticism based on his policies rather than his personality. There have been a wiiiiiiide array of personalities in the presidential office. None of them really matter to me as long as that President does a good job in office. And that is what I base my opinion on. Whether the country is better off. Forget all the other stuff. It's all a side show. And, quite honestly, it seems like most of my time here is spent correcting many of the wrong assumptions. And sometimes I am just playing devil's advocate :wink: :stick_out_tongue:.

And now to get to your actual questions.

Who do you feel was rude to the other - the media to Trump, or vice-versa? Well, neither. Or more accurately I guess, would be both. Quite honestly, I think the whole feud with the media and vice-versa is just silly. I think both sides carry the blame. Trump needs to thicken up his skin and ignore much of the criticism. But the media is also being thin-skinned by thinking they are the high and mighty and beyond reproach. Some of the criticism of the media is warranted. More on that later.

The second answer is that I'm not familiar with the incident with the Fox News reporter you refer to so I won't offer an opinion on it. If I'm not familiar or knowledgeable about something I won't comment on it. It's OK to do that. If I felt it was a big enough issue I'd do some reading up on it but a lot of all this crap is just a side show. Let's concentrate on the main and important issues. But, people calling for the Fox News reporters removal, if it is how you actually stated and there isn't more to it, is just as silly as well. It's like now days you can't disagree with something without having a call for a ban, a protest, or some sort of sit-in.

My opinion on the news conference though? I thought it was refreshing to have a president candidly answer questions from the media. I won't get in to whether I liked the answers or not as that is another discussion. But FWIW, I agreed with some and disagreed with others. But I thought the candidness was refreshing. Did you know that when President Obama held a news conference, the questions were provided to him beforehand and he had already chosen the people he called on? Even CNN and MSNBC thought that Trump's approach was refreshing from that aspect. So I thought the impromptuness was nice to see for a change.

My opinion on the media in general? I think they need to go back to journalism school. Media should report the news accurately and without a bias. To me, that is the scarier thing in all of this. For example, last weekend the big news story that all the outlets ran with was how ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) was going around the country and rounding up and deporting illegal immigrants under President Trump's new direction. They had videos of these raids and arrests. They had stories of how families and children were afraid that they were going to be deported. Now, I don't doubt these family's fears, but I think it was muchly media driven. Last week ICE rounded up and deported 620 illegal immigrants. And it was the big news story of the weekend. ICE told the reporters that it was pretty much routine for them. But the reporters shaded it like it was something new and unprecedented. When, in fact, under President Obama slightly over 1000 illegal immigrants on average were arrested and deported per day. Per day! Yet we never saw a single story on that. And now the immigrant families are living in fear? Why is that? Because now it is being made into a big story by the media. There are countless other examples of the same type of biased reporting. So part of President Trump's criticism or thin-skinnedness (is that a word?) is warranted. But he needs to accept that that's the way it is going to be and get on with what he has promised - cutting taxes, creating jobs, etc.

:attitude:

Last edited:

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
The Republican's first and only goal was obstructionism on a scale that has never before been seen in Washington. Even though he had a legitimate mandate, Obama naively tried to work with congressional republicans for the first two years of his presidency while they kept stalling and running out the clock until they regained leadership.
Yes, the Republicans played the role of obstructionists. But it's a two way street. When they sat down to discuss Obamacare President Obama's chief of staff looked at the Republicans when they offered suggestions and said, "We won." And who can forget President Obama's line "Elections have consequences."? That's not exactly setting the right tone. And I never liked the word "mandate". To me, that implies that one party or the other has license to completely ignore the other side. Unfortunately, that's the way Washington has become. Both parties need to get away from "winning" for themselves or their party and get back to winning for the public.

It's the same play they used with Obama's SCOTUS nominee. It's dirty, underhanded and self serving. It doesn't really serve the public interest.
Agreed. The Republicans should have held confirmation hearings on President Obama's pick for the SCOTUS and based a vote on the qualifications of that pick. Not based on who selected that pick.

I think every branch of government should have term limits. No matter how idealistic a person is when they enter congress, most all of them eventually rot over time and become cynical.
I agree with the term limits to the elected officials. We have it with presidents, why not for the Senate or House of Representatives? I think most politicians go to Washington at first with big ideas of making a difference. But I think they get beaten down by the bureaucracy and Washington way. And if our representatives were more concerned about what's right for the people they represent rather than what's good for their political donor for the next re-election bid it's a win for all of us.

Anyway, that's what happened to Obama. He's highly intelligent and pragmatic to a fault. Those aren't Trump values. Trump has a knack for working a room and energizing people.
I think it's unfair to compare Obama with Trump though. I think they have two different styles. I think Obama was a detail oriented-type person. He had an idea and would work on the details of implementing that. I think Trump, on the other hand, is a big picture type of guy and not so much detailed oriented. I think his style is to lay out the big picture of what he wants to accomplish and let others work on the details of how to accomplish that. Nothing wrong with either style IMHO.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
It's funny how Trump supporters utterly despise celebrities and elites because an elite celebrity said so.
I don't despise any of the celebrities of having an opinion. I do feel though that their opinion means nothing more than yours or mine though. What I have a problem with is them expressing their opinion during the awards shows. Sometimes it feels like every acceptance speech is a political commentary. When I watch those shows, I just want to be entertained for an hour or two or three and escape from the world of politics.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah they don't really despise celebrities, they just despise that most celebrities don't agree with them. I can understand that of course.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Yeah they don't really despise celebrities, they just despise that most celebrities don't agree with them. I can understand that of course.
I could give a ducks fart about what any celebrity believes. As long as they are good at what they do that's what I care about. They are just people like you and me, and have the same right to believe whichever way they want.