And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

jvcarroll

Reaction score
So, is anybody going to boycott this upcoming live action DUMBO movie for starring Eva Green, considering she's done some really explicit sex movies in the past?
I think the boycotts are about glorifying the mistreatment of elephants in the circus. I imagine this film will have a much different tone. There's also the racist crows from the original Disney film; the lead crow being Jim Crow. Yes, really. Eeep! :embarrassed:

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
True - back in the days when such stereotypes and caricatures were considered funny and acceptable; even Caroll Spinney figured out at an early age that stuff was actually pretty bad.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I think the boycotts are about glorifying the mistreatment of elephants in the circus. I imagine this film will have a much different tone. There's also the racist crows from the original Disney film; the lead crow being Jim Crow. Yes, really. Eeep! :embarrassed:
Oh, I get it! :laugh::laugh:, Jim CROW... because he's a, he's a crow, I just got that, hahaha, he's a black crow and, and, and....

Yeah, they should probably change that :embarrassed:.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't remember the character being named within the film itself (the credits?).

I mean, if they're remaking it, they can easily replace them with something else, change the names, or cut 'em all together.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's one of those things that's canon but never actually said in the movie, like the terms "Ewok" for Star Wars or "Nerdluck" for Space Jam. Or, like how the man in the cube never had a name in the film (other than that lady calling him "Ted") but the script gave his name as Martin.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I mean, if they're remaking it, they can easily replace them with something else, change the names, or cut 'em all together.
True, but they were kind of the comic relief in the original, weren't they? And considering this version is probably going to be darker than the original, i'm not sure what they can do if they are cut. I guess the writers could replace them, but I don't quite trust these live-action reboots to do anything creative. Although, The Jungle Book remake was pretty good, so we'll see.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Let me guess, they'll remove the bird characters and then somehow forget to bother including African American characters anywhere else in the movie. The way it always goes in Hollywood. Cure racism by removing a race entirely. :coy: They don't care about diversity. They just don't like bad publicity.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Let me guess, they'll remove the bird characters and then somehow forget to bother including African American characters anywhere else in the movie. The way it always goes in Hollywood. Cure racism by removing a race entirely. :coy: They don't care about diversity. They just don't like bad publicity.
I actually think Disney may be the most diversity friendly studios in Hollywood, now there are some areas where they could improve, but overall, they try.
As for getting rid of the "African American" birds in Dumbo, I really don't see the problem. The crows were entirely based on stereotypes and not technically any race at all because, well, they were birds. so not really the best representation any way you look at it. But also, there weren't any African American characters in the original that I can remember, so it wouldn't bother me too much if there weren't any in the remake, especially since there were so few humans in it to begin with, besides those circus clowns.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
TBH, I never saw those crows in the Dumbo movie as 'racist' to blacks, and still don't. Actually, I think they're my favorite characters in the entire movie. But that's just me.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
TBH, I never saw those crows in the Dumbo movie as 'racist' to blacks, and still don't. Actually, I think they're my favorite characters in the entire movie. But that's just me.
Well, I think they're pretty racist, but they are still the best part of the movie, lol.

Last edited: