And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

Censored

Reaction score
It's been discussed here before - this is why we see less of Ernie and Bert (or, more specifically, Ernie and Bert inserts) on SST today, because research has turned up kids today find them boring because their inserts are more dialogue and punchline-based and don't have a lot of action going on. This is the same research that said parents don't watch with kids anymore, hence why they were (planning on) doing away with celebrities (because kids don't know who they are) and parodies and spoofs (because kids don't understand them).
There is no comparison to modern Ernie and Bert and classic.

mr3urious

Reaction score
If kids can sit still for Dora the Explorer or any other faux-interactive preschool show where the action just stops dead from time to time for the characters to ask kids a very obvious question and make the show feel much longer than it should, than I don't see how they can't handle a classic Bert & Ernie sketch.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
If kids can sit still for Dora the Explorer or any other faux-interactive preschool show where the action just stops dead from time to time for the characters to ask kids a very obvious question and make the show feel much longer than it should, than I don't see how they can't handle a classic Bert & Ernie sketch.
Th ed n I ask what has happened to kids today?

Censored

Reaction score
Th ed n I ask what has happened to kids today?
I don't know. There was the statement that "kids could not sit still for Mr. Rogers today." There is no reason to believe such a thing when there are similar shows around right now. Mr. Rogers himself once said that his show stayed similar throughout the years because kids really don't change that much. If anything, we know more today about things like Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and are able to help kids learn to focus and deal with their impulsivity better than ever before. Many times, it's just adults projecting their own views onto kids, whether it's an inability to focus in this fast paced world, aversion to the elderly, a demand for constant action, or any other issue that adults would rather pin on modern children than admit that they themselves are creating.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Mr. Rogers himself once said that his show stayed similar throughout the years because kids really don't change that much.
And yet, SST has gone through so many changes since the 90s for the exact opposite reason: the original magazine format was because kids at the time liked commercials inbetween shows, but they shifted to the block format in 2002 because kids then prefered repetition and predictability; the street itself was like an innercity street in the ghetto because that was the kind of locale their target audience lived in, but over the years has been cleaned up and brightened up because so many of these urban areas have been gentrified, and modern kids wouldn't recognize the mom-and-pop-type stores of yore like the Fix-It Shop; the show has been shortened from an hour to a half-hour because kids today can't sit still through an entire hour of something (that, I can attest to, if you've ever seen a kids movie in theaters, you'd know all the kids do is run around and scream their heads off in the theater).

But at least you can give props to Mister Rogers for sticking with the same thing for all the years that he did.

Censored

Reaction score
And yet, SST has gone through so many changes since the 90s for the exact opposite reason: the original magazine format was because kids at the time liked commercials inbetween shows, but they shifted to the block format in 2002 because kids then prefered repetition and predictability; the street itself was like an innercity street in the ghetto because that was the kind of locale their target audience lived in, but over the years has been cleaned up and brightened up because so many of these urban areas have been gentrified, and modern kids wouldn't recognize the mom-and-pop-type stores of yore like the Fix-It Shop; the show has been shortened from an hour to a half-hour because kids today can't sit still through an entire hour of something (that, I can attest to, if you've ever seen a kids movie in theaters, you'd know all the kids do is run around and scream their heads off in the theater).

But at least you can give props to Mister Rogers for sticking with the same thing for all the years that he did.

Strangely enough, Sesame Street was already successful with the original format and so was Mr. Rogers. Sesame Workshop could learn from the old saying, "If it's not broken, don't fix it."

Censored

Reaction score
; the show has been shortened from an hour to a half-hour because kids today can't sit still through an entire hour of something (that, I can attest to, if you've ever seen a kids movie in theaters, you'd know all the kids do is run around and scream their heads off in the theater).
Some kids do, some kids don't. The ones who cut up in the theatre are the ones who are noticed. The ones who stay in their seats are ignored.

It also depends on whether or not it's a movie for kids and the ages it's targeted to.

Last edited:

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I could've sworn we had a whole five boards to discuss Sesame Street in... :stick_out_tongue: