Animal Won't Be In Australia

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Mar posted this at Tough Pigs, and since some folks might not make it over there, I decided to post it here. Wonder what Ken and Co. (Palisades) thinks o' all dis here:
One Animal that won't be at the Show
By REBECCA JENKINS
12aug03

A MUPPET doll, a novelty toolbox and a toy windmill will be removed from showbags for the Royal Adelaide Show after safety checks.

They were the only three items banned of thousands tested from more than 280 showbags as part of a routine inspection before the Show starts on August 29.

Consumer Affairs Minister John Hill said yesterday the small number of hazardous items found was encouraging.

"The message (about safety) has well and truly got across," he said. "The promoters of the showbags realise there are high standards in South Australia.

"We know tens of thousands of children will be going to the Show, eager to get their hands on showbags.

"We don't want small children to get their hands on toys that can cause them harm."

The Muppet doll Animal the drummer was withdrawn from sale because a chain around its neck was considered a choking hazard for young children.

The windmill had a removable cap that could be swallowed.

The toolbox contained small nuts that could also cause a child to choke and a spirit level that broke into small parts when dropped.

More than 750,000 showbags are expected to be sold.

The showbags inspection took two days.

Inspectors looked at the recommended age range for the items, potential choking hazards and dangerous products such as sharp objects.

Office of Consumer and Business Affairs senior standards officer Jeff Betts said the standard of bags had improved.

"(We are) quite excited by the fact that this year the showbag suppliers have produced a lot of good toys," he said.

"They are certainly better than last year."

Mr Betts said officers would continue to make inspections during the Show to ensure consumers received value for money. They also will inspect prizes at sideshow alley and check measuring scales used at the Show.

More than 600,000 people are expected to attend this year's Show and almost 30,000 entries have been received for the various competitions – a record number for the Show.

The Royal Adelaide Show will run from Friday, August 29 to Saturday, September 6.

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,6928904%5E2682,00.html
Stolen by FOZ

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I dont know where you found that, I never even heard about this and I live in Australia but not in Adelaide obviously. I like to add most of the muppet Australian news to my website as its the only one in Australia so I hate to miss out on muppet news.

:smile:

Luke

Reaction score
It doesn't actually say it's the Palisades figure though - what would they be doing giving that away in showbags ? Bad publicity if it is though but at least they didn't get namechecked !

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I doubt very much that it would have been a palisades one, well I would just say that it wasnt, you dont get things like that in showbags. I think there has been a muppet showbag around for a few years that is sold at most of the shows etc, they contain a very cheaply made in china plush muppet, either kermit, animal, gonzo or fozzie. I have seen these and im not sure if they are the Nanco ones but they might be similar. thats pretty much all they contain that is muppet related, the rest is all candy and stuff.

I went to the Sydney show and they were selling muppet plushes at the showbag places, they were also giving them away as prizes with some of the rides etc.

The kermit I got it a Nanco but its quite a well made one, I have seen some real shockers around.

from, Paul :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I guess I should point out the obvious and say that the article never says Palisades, it was an assumption on my part in CASE it was--however, it could be a plush doll made my some other company with a plastic chain? Still, whether Palisades or not, I'd love Ken's take on this situation as a toy-maker.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I guess I should point out the obvious and say that the article never says Palisades, it was an assumption on my part in CASE it was--however, it could be a plush doll made my some other company with a plastic chain? Still, whether Palisades or not, I'd love Ken's take on this situation as a toy-maker.
but wait, lets not forget that animal comes with a playset, if it was in a bag, i doubt it would be a big box playset showbag, unless it was a tour animal. but why would they have tour animal, my guess is a nanco doll.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Zack the Dog said:
but wait, lets not forget that animal comes with a playset, if it was in a bag, i doubt it would be a big box playset showbag, unless it was a tour animal. but why would they have tour animal, my guess is a nanco doll.
Exactly, Those showbags never have anything good usually, I can honestly say that it definately wouldn't be a palisades item (there arent even that many bought into Australia). I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt even Nanco. Ive seen some really disgustingly made muppet toys mainly kermit at these shows and they were used as prizes. I bought a Nanco kermit a few years ago and he is nice, not the same as the ones used for the prizes.

They shouldnt call it a muppet showbag because the only muppet thing included is a choice of a muppet plush, I am guessing they are nanco as I have seen a site about the showbags.

:smile:

hdofu

Reaction score
Couldn't they replace the chain with something sewn on that couldn't harm the smaller kids?

Drtooth

Reaction score
This reminds me of an Article I read in the Onion. It was about a toy being recalled, and it actually said what people wanted to say. Kids who get these toys recalled or banned aren't really that bright. I doubt inedible plastic is candylike in any form. If a toy is unsafe, don't give it to kids, but don't have it banned. I'm sure some responsible kids who want to play with Animal the correct way shouldn't be punnished because of little kids who Shouldn't have the toy, and attempt to eat it, strangle themselves with it, or (something I got from the Onion article) Put it over their heads, jump out the window, and try to fly like Superman....

I hate parents who don't read the warning signs... they got the Nestle's Magic toys banned... %^$%# Them!

:grouchy: