1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Annoying Characters

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by miss kermie, May 29, 2012.

1. WalterLinz

WalterLinz Well-Known Member

Lol I always used to think Big Bird's a girl when I was in grammar school!!XD

2. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

Some people I know think Piglet and Tweety Bird are girls...no Tweety is a boy too

beatnikchick300 and WalterLinz like this.
  3. BeakerJanice

BeakerJanice Active Member

Oh me too!That was so confusing...

WalterLinz likes this.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The 15 from the Quincenra episode of Sesame Street was the most obnoxious, hate-able Muppet I've ever seen. Even Mr. Poodlepants looks tolerable next to that.

Dominicboo1 likes this.
  5. BeakerJanice

BeakerJanice Active Member

You said that she/he cried the whole episode!

Dominicboo1 likes this.
  6. Dominicboo1

He's right she did.

7. Revriley

Revriley New Member

Very late to the game here, but one character that grates on my nerves is Marvin Suggs (the Whatnot who regularly whaled on the Muppaphones in TMS). I find his voice (Which Oz described as designed to be very annoying) extremely irritating. His entire demeanor is unpleasant (understandably so, as the point of his character is to be the perpetrator of unnecessary brutal violence towards others).

He reminds me a bit of Pirelli from Sweeney Todd.

Dominicboo1 likes this.
  8. Dominicboo1

I can't stand him either

9. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

You do have to wonder how Marvin Suggs keeps getting booked on the show. Does his aunt also own the theater or something? ;)

10. Dominicboo1

I think he would clobber anybody who dare either A.Try to fire him. or B:Speak up for the Muppaphones.(Other than the guest stars...)

heralde likes this.
  11. heralde

I'd hate to think what would happen if Behemoth tried eating him...:ouch:

12. Dominicboo1

Maybe he would eat the mallet!

heralde likes this.
  13. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

I was never a fan of Andy and Randy Pig. I mean, there were a bunch of annoying characters on Muppets Tonight, but for me they take the grand prize. They literally never got anything right and they were too dumb to realize their mistakes. The shtick got old pretty quickly. They made Beauregard look like an Oxford graduate.

14. heralde

Yeah there's a fine line there between endearingly incompetent and annoyingly incompetent! I think a lot of it depends on the attitude. Being stupid in itself isn't funny. It's the juxtaposition of how the character reacts to the damage he's causing. Beauregard's an easy going, humble sort of guy. He notices when things go wrong, he's just kinda slow on the uptake. Andy and Randy are more like those losers in school who delight in how ignorant they are, lol.

Like, when I was a kid, I mentioned to some fellow students that there were actually four Musketeers, because my Dad had told me the story how by the end D'Artagnan ends up becoming one. These genius classmates of mine proceeded to laugh in my face about how wrong I was, because the only musketeer they knew about was the candy bar! Andy and Randy remind me of them (and I guess that made me Sam the Eagle! Lol :p)

Fozzie was somewhat like this on the first season of Muppet Show, before they got him right. Like when he gets locked in the magician's box and shouts to Kermit, "The show needs me, Kermit! Who cares about a frog?!" and the little window closes behind him, I actually wanted to cheer, lol. :o

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    Drtooth likes this.
  15. Drtooth

Andy and Randy have that sort of lame dumb guys schtick that writers tend to think is funnier than it really is. Sort of like how bad Bebop and Rocksteady got in TMNT as early as season 3. Which is a shame, since the five part opening series showed them as a genuine threat, just not too bright.

I'd say the new pigs in general on MT (with the exception of Howard, and only then because of the writing of the skits he was in) were awful. Hasslehog and Spamela were even flatter than the celebrities they were parodying. But Andy and Randy deserve special notice for being a loose collection of lame dumb jokes and not for having any character beyond that. Their brightest moment was the John Goodman episode, and even that could have been handled better.

heralde likes this.
  16. heralde

Yeah, flat is a good word. Flat is what happens in your first draft. After that, you often need to find some kind of ironic contrast to make something funny.

17. Drtooth

The whole thing can be chalked up to what made MT hit or miss. A lot of the pop culture bits worked. Unfortunately, they were all one shots. Seinfeld Babies was brilliant on many levels because it had levels. Bay of Pigs Watch didn't parody the show, didn't even give it a shallow parody. It was just dumb pigs doing dumb things on a beach. Same deal with the Deep Dish Six bit that removed everything that made the original Pigs in Space funny. All for dumb pig characters.