Another 180 seconds to do a new post?

muppet_fan_1

Reaction score
Not to sound whiney or anything but I type somewhat fast and a whole 180 seconds is a long time to wait when trying to post another post. Can anyone give me good reasoning WHY that is so I can stop complaining?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Megan,

Here's the answer...

The posting limitation (currently one post every three minutes) is in place to prevent any potential trouble makers that would abuse the forum to make repetitive unnecessary posts. Posts that appear one after another makes for a lot of unnecessary scrolling and work for everyone to go through.

This posting change is in order to help prevent those kind of situations to make it easier for everyone. I have been experimenting with different times over the last few days and will continue to do so until we find the right balance.

As always thank you for the input and feel free to write or post your questions anytime.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Just my opinion-- but I'm pretty happy with teh 180 second rule. I could see how it would be annoying if you read all the threads and then type all your responses at once, but as I tend to read a thread, reply, and then move on to the next thread, it is working fine for me.

Luke

Reaction score
Well, its way better than the 240 it was before, but i think still a bit long - maybe 120 would be good. It should be enough so that spammers can't continually press the post button, but not enough that casual visitors would notice it. I'm sure with all the experimentation these past few days it'll be got right in the end !

Jessie

Reaction score
Peut-Etre?

Hey.

Maybe when the magic upgrade from Junior Member to Member occurs, then the time limitation could de reduced or eliminated. That way, those who could post at any time would be the ones who are most active anyway, and it would prevent against hazardous posting from guests or junior members who just registered or something.

Just a suggestion, I don't find the 180 sec rule annoying b/c I am a very sllllooooowww typer. (Typist?) Whatever. :0)

scarecroe

Reaction score
Why not just block the logged IPs of those culprits?

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Yeah, 180 seconds is way too long for us extremely fast typers. I'm along Scott's lines, it would be really nice to find an outside way to stop trouble-makers instead of tryin' to make we Muppet cheetahs "patient", lol.

But nice to hear that this is an experiment, and hopefully it'll get a few more seconds shaved off. :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
As for the suggestion that the time limit could be turned off when people have made a certain number of posts, it's an excellent idea but it's not a feature of the Vbulletin software.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Sometimes by the time I get a chance to post a reply, i forget the joke I was going to make...of course, much to the satisfaction of all those involved...

FOZ