Another Article Discussing "Old School" DVD's

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh wow, I hadn't realized. I think I found the story you were referring to. It's possible the child was imitating something she saw on Dora, but at the same time I find it hard to believe the cartoon would be that irresponsible to show something like that. Then again, anything is possible.
Well, I was totally confused by what happened, and I can't even blame the show (much as I dispise it). Plus it was just morbid for me to bring it up. the point is, any given thing you can take away from any show can either be good, or bad.

I mean, you can call the Ninja Turtles bad influences on the one hand (the violence). But on the other hand, you can call them good influences (Leo and Splinter's spirituality, Don's techincal prowes can get kids involved in science). it's all how you can look at something.

The funny thing is very early Oscar didn't seem as Grouchy as Middle Oscar. Heck, he even stopped into Ernie and Bert's apartment and gave them Ice cream. And he even helped Ernie look for his rubber Duckie on one occasion. I'm guessing those skits were 1970 or 71.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I mean, you can call the Ninja Turtles bad influences on the one hand (the violence). But on the other hand, you can call them good influences (Leo and Splinter's spirituality, Don's techincal prowes can get kids involved in science). it's all how you can look at something.
The way I look at the Ninja Turtles (which I always loved) is that little boys (and some girls of course, not to discriminate :smile: ) have always and will always enjoy play fighting. When I was a kid in the playground, the boys played "Cops and Crooks." It was not a reference to a particular show; they just enjoyed the idea of playfully beating each other up. Ninja turtles did not create that, nor could they stop it. And it's not entirely a bad thing (though, being a girl, I don't always understand it!)

And I agree, the Ninja turtles also encouraged the importance of honor, friendship and intelligence, which I think could have rubbed off a little on kids. :smile:

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Well I find this very ironic! The SW tells me the Old School set is not meant for today's kids. And then I have my friends telling me the Old School set isn't meant for today's adults! So, who is exactly IS this set meant for? Lol

In the end, it's best to think and choose for yourself. :wink:[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.
Personally, I think the media is making a mountain out of a molehill. If I had kids I would be more than happy to let them see Old School Sesame Street, so as to let them see what it used to be.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Let's simply stop paying attention to all of these articles and just enjoy what's available.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh definitely, I am grateful that the DVDs are out at all. But I do agree with some of these articles and I'm glad they're written. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's simply stop paying attention to all of these articles and just enjoy what's available.
Since when does anyone take these things seriously? I think it's best just to ridicule these "experts" and question their credentials.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
The Sesame Street Old School DVD's are due to come out in Australia next month, and I understand they are to get a G rating. So you're right, Drtooth.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
And the only thing that even comes close are the Beatles imitators. Just adding that.
That point just made me think about how much I like Between the Lions. I think it comes pretty close to being as good as some of the older Sesame Street stuff. The show is fun, and there's stuff in it that can be entertaining for adults.

"The only thing that even comes close [to Sesame Street] are the [Sesame Street] imitators."

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
That point just made me think about how much I like Between the Lions. I think it comes pretty close to being as good as some of the older Sesame Street stuff. The show is fun, and there's stuff in it that can be entertaining for adults.

"The only thing that even comes close [to Sesame Street] are the [Sesame Street] imitators."
That's because Norman Stiles and Christopher Cerf work on between the lions.