Another perspective on Henson sale from Variety

Chad Kermit

Reaction score
At least 3 contending for Henson
Mouse House considered prohibitive favorite

By CARL DIORIO

Bankers running EM.TV's auction of the Jim Henson Co. continue to refuse Haim Saban the opportunity for exclusive negotiations to buy the famed family entertainment outfit, instead inking separate letters of intent with three prospective buyers.
EM.TV needs to conclude the auction within the next few weeks to help the German media company meet a big loan payment that comes due at year's end. So the heat is on for blue-chip investment firm Allen & Co. to wrap up talks with one of the parties soon.

Three offers have been received ranging between $125 million and $150 million. Saban and the entertainment financier's partners at investment firm Evercore placed one of the three bids, another comes from an unspecified children's producer in the U.K., and a third has been placed by another unspecified party; Disney is still sitting out the auction.

Many bet on Mouse

The Mouse House had been considered a prohibitive favorite to adopt Kermit and his Muppet brethren at Henson into the Magic Kingdom, but so far the studio seems too preoccupied with fixing its existing operations to pursue additional assets. Yet a key source noted at least one other bid could still be in the offing from a party other than Disney, so there's no reason Allen wouldn't let the Mouse place a last-minute offer as well.

"Disney has never specifically said no (to placing an offer) and continues to lurk in the wings," the source said. "It's one of those companies that can come in and surprise you at the last moment."

Disney must move fast

Indeed, Disney execs must have been chagrined that recent Muppets telefilm "It's a Very, Merry Muppets Christmas" brought ratings benefits to NBC and not Mouse's Alphabet. But conglom would have to move fast, as any of the three existing bids could well pass muster with EM.TV.

"All of them are good enough for the seller, though they all have different prices," a source suggested. "For now, they're essentially closing on all of the (prospective) deals at the same time."

It appears Henson management has decided against pursuing its own bid for the onetime family-owned company. But it's believed key execs are involved in at least three of the scenarios taking shape, with none of the suitors aiming to liquidate the company.

A source close to the process said one or more of the potential auction winners would allow EM to completely cash out, while at least one proposal involves a partial equity buy by a company seeking good strategic fit between Henson's operations and its own existing operations.

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
The Mouse House had been considered a prohibitive favorite to adopt Kermit and his Muppet brethren at Henson into the Magic Kingdom, but so far the studio seems too preoccupied with fixing its existing operations to pursue additional assets. Yet a key source noted at least one other bid could still be in the offing from a party other than Disney, so there's no reason Allen wouldn't let the Mouse place a last-minute offer as well.
Mickey is too busy with fixing Treasue Planet but on the plus side this would be some very positive PR for Disney and Eisner. Think about it, Disney finally buys Muppets after 12 years try.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Funny how these articles come the week I've finally given up hope on Disney buying Henson. I hope, but don't expect.

Keep bringing the articles though!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It has been reported that Disney has been creating the bad press for Treasure Planet. Test audiences hinted the film would flop (by Disney standards) and they decided to lodge a negative campaign aganst the film to excuse a higer degree of layoffs from their animation division. It's not like they are tyring to kill the film, but they have been unusually vocal about the lack luster numbers.

Such dealings are the norm for the Mouse. They are lurking in the wings. They just want to get the best price. I have little doubt they will get the Muppets. They are just being shrewd.

Luke

Reaction score
It's likely that Disney will end up working with the Muppets at some point in the future - but i wouldn't be so sure it's inevitable they will become owners of Kemit & Co !

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What's behind the 180? Thought you were betting heavy odds on the Mouse.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
I know, somehow in late fall of 2001 back on the Delphi board, it was said by someone that Disney was definitely going to buy JHC and that Eisner was bound to make the announcement any day. While I loved that idea, there was really no article or press release to back that up, just the world inside Muppet Central Forum.

But hey, any Disney-Henson talk is good to me.

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
I still think that Disney would turn the Muppets into mere icons and kiddie junk, like Mickey is today...

Beauregard

Reaction score
That is apsolutly untrue.

No it is, really.

Their is practicly a whole book about how that is untrue.

Have you seen what they did with the Muppets in Treause island?

Disney is good.

JamieDenny

Reaction score
Thanks dad

My Dad has just said that if he had the money I could have the Muppets for Christmas :cool:
I dont' know if you all remember that I said if Disney did get the Muppets and they didn't stuff them up, a year after the purchase I would be more than happy to not only write an say so on this board but I would also write a letter congratulating Mr Eisner *assuming he's still there :wink: * and thank him for proving me wrong.
That deal is still there.
Jamie D

*Compliments Of The Season To You All*