Another question for Gee Bee

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if you remember exactly when Grungetta first premired on the show? and do you remember her very first episode and what it was about>? This is another one of those questions Iv'e asked over and over again on this board and other boards, and have never gotten a clear answer. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Censored

Reaction score
Don_Music_2004 said:
Hey I was wondering if you remember exactly when Grungetta first premired on the show? and do you remember her very first episode and what it was about>? This is another one of those questions Iv'e asked over and over again on this board and other boards, and have never gotten a clear answer. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Hi, Don. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to this one. I watched Sesame Street in the 80's, but only sporadically (Had I know how much it was going to change in the 90's, I would have religiously watched and taped every episode) and I didn't see her premiere. I thought Grungetta was a great character and I even used her in one of my fan fiction stories. They once had an episode where Oscar and Grungetta were going to get married, but the wedding got called off at the last minute (don't remember exactly what happened). It's probably better to keep Oscar as the only definitive grouch on Sesame Street, but with frequent visits from Grungetta and his other grouch friends.

I remember an episode in the 70's where Oscar was trying to find a "substitute grouch" for Sesame Street. Several muppets resembling Oscar applied for the job, but none were as nasty as Oscar. During one "interview" at Hooper's store, Oscar showed the other grouch the "right" way to act when someone gives you a pretty flower in a flower pot. It involved throwing the mud all around the store, much to Mr. Hooper's dismay.

Sorry I couldn't answer your original question. Sesame Street has been around for so long, it's difficult to get its complete history. Good luck.

Splurge

Reaction score
Brian Meehl, of course was Grungetta before Pam Arciero. Presuming no one puppeteered Grungy before Brian, I'd say it was a safe bet that she started appearing whenever he was added to the Sesame Muppet cast.

So, when was that? 1980? 1981?

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
It was 1978 when Brian actually first joined the show. He performed Barkley is all then, and various anything Muppets in inserted skits, and probably ones that appeared on the street too. He was the letter X in the Mystery letter game show with Guy Smiley, the contestants were Don Music, Cookie Monster, and Sherlock Hemlock. This sketch was aired until season 30 believe it or not, but Noggin edits this skit out. Brian started performing Telly in 1979. Pearl in 1980, and I think Clementime in 1980. So it probably was around 1980 when Grungetta made her debut. He was also the original Elmo, but I don't think he performed him for very long. I don't know when Dr. Nobel Price premired but he played him too.