1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drtooth, Jun 30, 2012.

1. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

-----------
    I actually used to love renting the low-budget awful horror flicks which Redbox carries en masse...until my bank account was hijacked from one. Beware those wireless transmitters around your debit cards, folks.

-------------
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

And this is why it's not always a smart idea to shop electronically... especially online shopping, that's just identity theft waiting to happen.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Hackers will hack anything. I'm sure they can hack just as well through a Netflix account. Too bad the thing doesn't have a pay for rental upfront, but I guess that's supposed to be a failsafe in case someone doesn't return the disks.

But seriously.... the more I look at these things, the more they're filled with Mockbusters and less and less ACTUAL movies on the list. Heck, the only Madagascar they have at those things are the video games.
  4. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Okay, I actually discovered that The Oogieloves was originally meant to be a film adaptation of Teletubbies, but the creator refused for whatever reason.
  5. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I'm sure a Teletubbies movie would have at least got to 18th in the box office standings, lol.
  6. Drtooth

Teletubbies could not work as a film. There's no way they could make it work. Take away the fact that a movie based on a TV show has to deal ways around being a 90 minute episode...

There's NO comprehensible narrative, let alone basis for a plot. A movie has to have a plot, even a loose one. Even the horrid parody movies have a thin thread of a plot (in that case, half the movies that came out in the last year have to defeat the other half of the movies that came out in the last year)...

but Teletubbies is basically barely verbal creatures in an overly safe environment. The episodes usually focus on them acting weird and saying "again again again" and doing the same thing over again at least 2 or 3 more times. 30 minutes of that drives anyone over the age of 2 nuts. 90 minutes, no matter how popular they are, is a recipe for franchise killing.

Oogieloves, as terrible as they are, at least have the ability to talk to each other and exist in an environment where they're not the only things there. THEY can tell stories, albeit terrible ones.
  7. mr3urious

8. Drtooth

Eh... summer is over. Box office gross for all movies are slipping. The core audience of this is probably in preschool or daycare of some kind, not that they really were itching to see it anyway.
  9. mr3urious

Still, I just like seeing this fail for some sick reason.
  10. Drtooth

But it would be more of an impressive feat to fail at a time when people were actually seeing movies.

This really speaks to the confidence this movie had. Last DAY of August. August is the death month for most movies. Sure, that's when people see the blockbusters at dollar cinemas and second run theaters, but it's the beginning of the slow September-November movie months. Paranorman's not getting its due because of it's August release.

But the LAST Day of August as well. It was clearly designed for those who aren't even in preschool yet. But there are a LOT of better mommy and toddler activities than spending 10 bucks or more to see a low rent bargain home video project like this. They KNEW they'd get clobbered if they were released in a busy month. There was clearly enough Afro Circus and Prehistoric Pirates that the 4-6 year olds like (and frequently shout in theaters to... I can attest to that),. So they actually thought that the quiet end months would do them better. I don't see this doing well ANY time of the year. Even if a petulant little kid forced the entire family to watch it. Even Petulant kids want to avoid this... WOW!
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  11. mr3urious

12. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Worst box office opening EVER.
    I don't think this movie's playing anywhere anymore. I think it was pulled after three days. They gotta be crazy to allow this abomonation on the big screen!
  13. Drtooth

WOW...

took me like an hour to watch 20 minutes for some reason, but...

WOW! That sounds incredibly awful, even for itself. It seems like it's not only terrible, but MINDBLOWINGLY terrible.

And those guys go on to literally RAVE about Follow That Bird, so you KNOW that's good taste.
  14. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

NBC Nightly News just said that this film made less money than it takes to make a movie. Not surprising. I wouldn't be surprised if this sometimes played for empty theaters.
  15. Drtooth

I don't see why they'd say that. Seems a bit redundant. Only indie films cost what Oogieloves took in. But yeah, the consensus is, it's playing to mostly empty theaters. The worldwide gross is barely a million, which is still much more than the movie is worth.
  16. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

If my friend would listen, they'd have have $30 dollars more from us.
  17. Drtooth

Don't... just wait until it's on DVD. These guys proved that it isn't even so bad it's good. They all hate each other and one feels completely depressed by the experience. There's a lot of good bad stuff out there (the anime based on the Tomb of Dracula Marvel comics is pretty fun, if you watch it in pieces), but there's a lot of so bad it's terrible as well.
    It doesn't seem like something worth losing friends over. They will HATE you.
  18. robodog

robodog Active Member

I still say they should have marketed it as a horror film. Those things make Freddy Krueger look like Tenderheart Bear.
    newsmanfan and heralde like this.
  19. Drtooth

'cept kids LOVE Freddy Kruger. Maybe not young kids, but seriously... kids LOVE psychotic characters. Why d'ya think The Joker is more popular than Batman.
    heralde likes this.
  20. robodog

robodog Active Member

True. I just don't buy these things as children's characters. When I was a teenager I read a novel called Gnelfs. It was about these Smurf rip offs that came to life and became homicidal because some idiot included occult symbols in the merchandise. A story like that would be more fitting for these Oogieloves horrors. Children's characters that become psychotic and go on a rampage. These things seriously creep me out and I'm speaking as someone who is usually immune to the Uncanny Valley.